Vista Sound Can't Identify

Boris

Vista Sound Can't Identify
I've had Vista Home Premium for about a month now.

There's a sound that keeps occuring now and then, and I don't know
what's causing it. It sounds just like a door bell, with two notes.
Ding dong. We've actually thought someone was at our door.

It'll occur even if all applications are off, including Windows Mail.
Sometimes the sound will occur as often as every 15 minutes. I've
looked at the Windows sounds, the .wav files that you can assign to
different actions, and none of them sound like what I hear.

Any idea what this is?

wm_walsh@hotmail.com

Re: Vista Sound Can't Identify
Hi!

> Any idea what this is?

I'm going to suggest that it would be the sound that Windows plays
when hardware is inserted or removed from the system while it is
running.

Vista has a sounds control panel (offhand I don't remember where it
is--probably under personalization in the control panel) where you
could play all the sounds that are currently connected to system
events. I'll bet you find it there.

William

S.Lewis

"Boris" <boris-badenough@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1194886603.968449.206280@s15g2000prm.googlegr oups.com...
> I've had Vista Home Premium for about a month now.
>
> There's a sound that keeps occuring now and then, and I don't know
> what's causing it. It sounds just like a door bell, with two notes.
> Ding dong. We've actually thought someone was at our door.
>
> It'll occur even if all applications are off, including Windows Mail.
> Sometimes the sound will occur as often as every 15 minutes. I've
> looked at the Windows sounds, the .wav files that you can assign to
> different actions, and none of them sound like what I hear.
>
> Any idea what this is?

Screensaver enabling or power management/sleep settings kicking in would be
my guess.

Stew

John

Re: Vista Sound Can't Identify
When a USB device is enabled or attached, the two notes go up. When the
devices are detached, the two notes go down.

I hear it when a keyboard with a USB connector to the computer is turned on
or turned off. And I have a troublesome flight simulator yoke that needs to
be disconnected and reconnected to wake it up; I can tell from the direction
on the tones which it's doing and how long to wait while I disconnect it.
If you had a USB device that is failing, you'd hear the two notes going
down.

John

"Boris" <boris-badenough@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1194886603.968449.206280@s15g2000prm.googlegr oups.com...
> I've had Vista Home Premium for about a month now.
>
> There's a sound that keeps occuring now and then, and I don't know
> what's causing it. It sounds just like a door bell, with two notes.
> Ding dong. We've actually thought someone was at our door.
>
> It'll occur even if all applications are off, including Windows Mail.
> Sometimes the sound will occur as often as every 15 minutes. I've
> looked at the Windows sounds, the .wav files that you can assign to
> different actions, and none of them sound like what I hear.
>
> Any idea what this is?

WSZsr

Re: Vista Sound Can't Identify
Maybe Avon is calling?

"Boris" <boris-badenough@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1194886603.968449.206280@s15g2000prm.googlegr oups.com...
> I've had Vista Home Premium for about a month now.
>
> There's a sound that keeps occuring now and then, and I don't know
> what's causing it. It sounds just like a door bell, with two notes.
> Ding dong. We've actually thought someone was at our door.
>
> It'll occur even if all applications are off, including Windows Mail.
> Sometimes the sound will occur as often as every 15 minutes. I've
> looked at the Windows sounds, the .wav files that you can assign to
> different actions, and none of them sound like what I hear.
>
> Any idea what this is?

Boris

On Nov 13, 5:22 am, "WSZsr" <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe Avon is calling?
>
> "Boris" <boris-badeno...@excite.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1194886603.968449.206280@s15g2000prm.googlegr oups.com...
>
> > I've had Vista Home Premium for about a month now.

> > There's a sound that keeps occuring now and then, and I don't know
> > what's causing it. It sounds just like a door bell, with two notes.
> > Ding dong. We've actually thought someone was at our door.

> > It'll occur even if all applications are off, including Windows Mail.
> > Sometimes the sound will occur as often as every 15 minutes. I've
> > looked at the Windows sounds, the .wav files that you can assign to
> > different actions, and none of them sound like what I hear.

> > Any idea what this is?

I think you're right. That's exactly! what it sounds like.