Installation is extremely laggy

Yannis

Installation is extremely laggy
So I have an E6850 stock (no overclocking) with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4, 2Gb of
DDR 800 memory, a SATA 500Gb Western Digital HDD, an XFX 8800GTX with 768Mb
and a Pioneer DVR-111.

The Problem:
My problem came when I started running the installation DVD of Windows
Vista. I popped it in and it started booting from it. Then it took a good 5
minutes with the default background with just the mouse. Then it asked me for
the language and I had to wait for a good more 5 minutes. Then the product
key and another 5 mintues etc. Now I've seen Windows Vista being installed on
other machines that had much weaker processors than this and it was
instantaneous repsonse. Now this may be related but after the installation
went through, whenever I tried to install any game demo's (Unreal Tournament,
Crysis, and Need For Speed) the harddrive would NOT stop. When running the
Resource Monitor, I noticed that the pagefile.sys was doing 64Mb/min for some
reason and the RAM that was used was right under 800Mb.

What I've tried so far:
I've swapped the RAM with another DDR2 800 pair of sticks but not
difference, same problem occurs with the games installation. When the games
DID install, some were rather choppy. I updated every single driver possible
with no change. I decided to use another harddrive I had (an IDE isntead of
the SATA) and reinstalled windows. No change in the installation time. I
changed my graphics card to an XFX 7950GT with 512Mb and still no change. I
changed the dvd drive to a lite-on dvd burner, no change. I swapped back the
RAM and no change, I changed the placement of the ram with no change.

I just don't know what to do anymore, I triple checked that all my things
were Vista Compatible. I have a 5.6 rating in the windows index, I have a
620W power supply..

I read in a forum that it may be the BIOS settings having a sort of
anti-virus on it called XD Technology... But I had no such luck finding
anything on the computer with that name or that purpose.

Any gelp would be greatly appreciated,
Yannis
peter

Re: Installation is extremely laggy
It seems to be a tranfer speed problem.....I would check all of the settings
in the BIOS to make sure that the DVR-111 is not set to PIO
peter