Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade

Gabrielle Channing

Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade
How can I erase Windows Vista (I really hate it, it really drains all my
resources and stuff), so I can put on a full version of Windows 98 and then a
Windows XP Upgrade? I tried to format or something but it said there were
security issues, please help - thanks!
dzomlija

Re: Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade

Gabrielle Channing;510184 Wrote:
> How can I erase Windows Vista (I really hate it, it really drains all my
> resources and stuff), so I can put on a full version of Windows 98 and
> then a Windows XP Upgrade? I tried to format or something but it said
> there were
> security issues, please help - thanks!

You need to boot from the CD of the OS you want to install, in this
case your Win98 CD. Delete the partition, and then do the installation.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Gabrielle Channing

Re: Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade
Its actually for a new computer, the version I have, of 98, so don't I need
to delete the partiation first before installing? And how would I delete that
anyway?

Gabrielle Channing;510254 Wrote:
> Its actually for a new computer, the version I have, of 98, so don't I
> need to delete the partiation first before installing? And how would I
> delete that anyway?

Once you have started the setup process from CD, you will get to a
section where you can choose to which drive you want to install Win 98.
The instructions for deleting the partition will be there, at the bottom
of the screen.

Because it's Win98 you will more than likely need to reboot at least
twice before it can continue after deleting/re-creating the partitions.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/
Og

Re: Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade
"Gabrielle Channing" <GabrielleChanning@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:10F5A487-4C40-4D5F-918D-50A749582C90@microsoft.com...
> Its actually for a new computer, the version I have, of 98, so don't I
> need
> to delete the partiation first before installing? And how would I delete
> that
> anyway?

Your air-guitar is missing some strings:
1. Check your computer vendor for Win XP drivers.
If Win XP drivers are not available -- STOP.
2. If your vendor will VOID your warranty if you install Win XP -- STOP.
3. It is not necessary to install Win 98 to perform an upgrade to Win XP
Early in the installation process, Win XP will prompt you for proof
of prior operating system -- simply plop your Win 98 disk into the CD drive
as proof.
4. As has been noted, you *will* have to remove the VISTA partition
schema from your hard disk prior to installing Win XP.

Steve

> "dzomlija" wrote:
>

>> Gabrielle Channing;510184 Wrote:
>> > How can I erase Windows Vista (I really hate it, it really drains all
>> > my
>> > resources and stuff), so I can put on a full version of Windows 98 and
>> > then a Windows XP Upgrade? I tried to format or something but it said
>> > there were
>> > security issues, please help - thanks!

>> You need to boot from the CD of the OS you want to install, in this
>> case your Win98 CD. Delete the partition, and then do the installation.
>>

>> --
>> dzomlija
>>
>> ____________________________________
>> Peter Alexander Dzomlija
>> Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
>> you die, so shall I be Reborn...
>>
>> - ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
>> - AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
>> - 4GB DDR400
>> - ASUS nVidia 6600
>> - Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
>> - 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
>> - Vista Ultimate x64
>> - CodeGear Delphi 2007http://dzomlija.spaces.live.com/

Man-wai Chang ToDie

Gabrielle Channing wrote:
> How can I erase Windows Vista (I really hate it, it really drains all my
> resources and stuff), so I can put on a full version of Windows 98 and then a
> Windows XP Upgrade? I tried to format or something but it said there were
> security issues, please help - thanks!

I think you could do a clean install from WinXP directly, no need to
install 98.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.23.1
John Barnett MVP

RE: Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade
If the machine is still under warranty you may have problems changing from
Vista to XP; this may invalidate your PC warranty. Therefore, i suggest you
ask your pc manufacturer if you can actually 'downgrade' before commencing.

Assuming all is well with the PC manufacturer, you can actually reformat the
drive using a windows 98 startup disk; try www.bootdisk.com to download a
free copy. Obviously you will need to copy the windows 98 startup files to a
bootable floppy, so i hope your machine has a floppy disk drive?

As Og has already pointed out in his post, you don't need to install windows
98 first, you can install the XP upgrade and it will ask you to insert the
Windows 98 CD as confirmation tat you are entitiled to an upgrade to XP.

As i have said youcan use a windows 98 startup disk to format the hard
drive, alternatively you can select the option to format the drive when you
install the Windows XP upgrade; you just need to ensure that XP is being
installed on the C: drive in order to overwrite the Vista files and remember
you must boot from the XP CD for install, don't try installing from within
windows otherwise you just end up with two operating system or an error
message telling you that you are installing an older version over a new one.
At this stage the install will stop.

Check out these links on my website:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...d_drive_us.htm

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...windows_xp.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Gabrielle Channing" wrote:

> How can I erase Windows Vista (I really hate it, it really drains all my
> resources and stuff), so I can put on a full version of Windows 98 and then a
> Windows XP Upgrade? I tried to format or something but it said there were
> security issues, please help - thanks!

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Erasing Vista So I can Put On Windows 98 And Then XP Upgrade
What resources is it draining and what is the computer specification?

--
Mike Hall - MVP
Posting Productively.. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Gabrielle Channing" <Gabrielle Channing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in