Transfer of files and settings

Richard

Transfer of files and settings
My laptop HD is full and I want to install a bigger HD. I will perform a
clean install of Vista from the upgrade CD (assume no problem to do that) and
want to know if the file & settings back up on my USB external HD made with
the existing Vista can be transfered on to the new Vista HD? Secondly will I
be able to reinstall the downloaded exe programs from back up'd copies on the
external USB HD?

Thanks for all help
Richard G. Harper

Re: Transfer of files and settings
Use EasyTransfer to transfer your files and settings. An external drive, CD
or DVD burner, or a network drive can store them temporarily while you
reinstall.

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My laptop HD is full and I want to install a bigger HD. I will perform a
> clean install of Vista from the upgrade CD (assume no problem to do that)
> and
> want to know if the file & settings back up on my USB external HD made
> with
> the existing Vista can be transfered on to the new Vista HD? Secondly will
> be able to reinstall the downloaded exe programs from back up'd copies on
> the
> external USB HD?
>
> Thanks for all help

Rick Rogers

Re: Transfer of files and settings
Hi,

You should be able to use the backup on the new installation. I would also
suggest you considering just doing a file copy backup of critical data.
Programs will need to be reinstalled from their original installation media,
whether that be on CD or from a download.

Your bigger problem is going to be the new installation. The upgrade disk
will only work with the Product Key from within an existing, qualified
product installation. So, there are two ways you can do this:

a) Install Vista by booting the DVD and running setup, then do not enter the
product key when prompt, simply go to the installation selection menu and
choose the proper version. Once everything if fully installed and running,
reinsert the DVD and do an upgrade to the existing installation using the
Product key you have. Basically you are doing two full installations, once
with and once without the Product key.

b) Install Win2000 or WinXP fully, then upgrade. Either way, you are
installing twice.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/