How to Transfer License

CampdenHouse

How to Transfer License
I've tried searching, but can't seem to find an answer that just tells me
what I need to do.......

I have been given loan of a tablet PC with XP Tablet. The machine has no
recover disk so I'm afraid to do anything or I'm even worried about it
crashing or the HDD failing. I have a brand new copy of Vista that I won as
a door prize at a seminar. I have never installed it. I would like to
install a new HDD in the tablet and install Vista (which I understand
includes Tablet support). When the original owner needs the tablet back, or
I just am done with it, I'll reinstall the original HDD.

What do I do when I want to install Vista on another machine? Do I need to
launch some sort of uninstall program BEFORE I remove the HDD with Vista that
deletes it and sends notificaiton to MS?

Thanks.
John Barnett MVP

RE: How to Transfer License
If you are going to re-install it (Vista) onto another machine then simply
install it. The main thing is that it is removed from the original machine
before installing it on another. Once you have done that chances are Vista
will require you to activate again. Now, depending upon how long you had
installed on your original (loan) machine, you may find that activation goes
without any problem or, more likely, online activation will be refused
because 'the product key is in use by someone else' Yes of course it is, it's
being used by you. If online activation is refused simply use telephone
activation. Go through the procedure, it is automated, and, again, activation
will more than likely be refused. *Now* and this is important, don't hang up
the phone, stay on the line and you will be put through to a 'real' person.
Just explain what you have done (removed Vista from the tablet pc and
installed it onanother machine, etc) and the activation technician will be
able to help you activate the copy.

Just as an aside, if the install of Vista on the tablet pc is more than 120
days then you should have no problem with online activation. If it is less
than 120 days chances are you will need to telephone the activation line.
--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"CampdenHouse" wrote:

> I've tried searching, but can't seem to find an answer that just tells me
> what I need to do.......
>
> I have been given loan of a tablet PC with XP Tablet. The machine has no
> recover disk so I'm afraid to do anything or I'm even worried about it
> crashing or the HDD failing. I have a brand new copy of Vista that I won as
> a door prize at a seminar. I have never installed it. I would like to
> install a new HDD in the tablet and install Vista (which I understand
> includes Tablet support). When the original owner needs the tablet back, or
> I just am done with it, I'll reinstall the original HDD.
>
> What do I do when I want to install Vista on another machine? Do I need to
> launch some sort of uninstall program BEFORE I remove the HDD with Vista that
> deletes it and sends notificaiton to MS?
>
> Thanks.

Mick Murphy

RE: How to Transfer License
I'd NEVER loan you anything!

"CampdenHouse" wrote:

> I've tried searching, but can't seem to find an answer that just tells me
> what I need to do.......
>
> I have been given loan of a tablet PC with XP Tablet. The machine has no
> recover disk so I'm afraid to do anything or I'm even worried about it
> crashing or the HDD failing. I have a brand new copy of Vista that I won as
> a door prize at a seminar. I have never installed it. I would like to
> install a new HDD in the tablet and install Vista (which I understand
> includes Tablet support). When the original owner needs the tablet back, or
> I just am done with it, I'll reinstall the original HDD.
>
> What do I do when I want to install Vista on another machine? Do I need to
> launch some sort of uninstall program BEFORE I remove the HDD with Vista that
> deletes it and sends notificaiton to MS?
>
> Thanks.

Rick Rogers

Re: How to Transfer License
Hi,

If the time frame is short, less than 30 days, then simply don't activate
the installation. Otherwise, when you reinstall it elsewhere you will simply
need to phone in the new activation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/