boot disk from Vista download?

John R Rybock

boot disk from Vista download?
I've had a problem with my installation of Vista. Now, it hangs up and
gives a blue screen when it gets to crcdisk.sys. I've searched, and
come across several solutions. The problem is, I can't get to any boot
screen. All options tries to load crcdisk.sys and crashes.

The problem is I bought and downloaded my installation from Microsoft.
I have a DVD with the three files downloaded, but it is not a bootable
disk, and I can't find how to make one. Probably something I should
have made sure to do before I began, but here I am.

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

John R Rybock

Re: boot disk from Vista download?
On Nov 9, 8:57 pm, John R Rybock <ryb...@cox.net> wrote:
> I've had a problem with my installation of Vista. Now, it hangs up and
> gives a blue screen when it gets to crcdisk.sys. I've searched, and
> come across several solutions. The problem is, I can't get to any boot
> screen. All options tries to load crcdisk.sys and crashes.
>
> The problem is I bought and downloaded my installation from Microsoft.
> I have a DVD with the three files downloaded, but it is not a bootable
> disk, and I can't find how to make one. Probably something I should
> have made sure to do before I began, but here I am.
>
> Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Further info...

Since my original post, I found out about the WIM file. I've unmounted
contents for boot.wim and copied them to a CDROM, but it isn't a boot
disk. Is there an easier way to use boot.wim other than through the
imagex command prompt controls?

Secondly, I tried some recommendations of disabling hardware to get
through the boot process. Namely, to turn off USB controllers on the
motherboard, which seemed to be a common suggestion. Now, I get an
error with NTLPD (or something like that, I'm not at the computer now)
on bootup, and am even further from solving the problem.

Lastly, to e-mail Microsoft customer support, it appears I have to
have my Vista activated, and use that serial number to get access to
customer support. As I've not gotten to that step, that is a problem.
Is there another way to get to MS CS, or do I have to wait until
Monday when I am home and can try calling?

So, do I have to bite the bullet and buy an over the counter version,
or is there a way out of this?