Vista woes

gub

Vista woes

Hi,

I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
myself.

I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
annoyed with the machine.

The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
to start.

When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:

- Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
- Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
to what ports inside the machine.
- Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
- Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the restore and tested the
hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
(or what I think are the right drivers).

*Any help would be very much appreciated!
*
The spec of the machine:
AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
2Gb DDR667 RAM
ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
DVD-RW
X-Pro Card Reader
500W PSU
Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card

--
gub
Rob

Re: Vista woes

"gub" <gub.2zsw50@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the
> restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card
>

> --
> gub

When you say it bleeps at you, can you count how many next time. The list
below is a general guideline to what the bleeps may mean.

No Beeps = Short,No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep = Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps = POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep, One Short Beep = Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps = Video Problem
One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps = Video Problem
Three Long Beeps = Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps = Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps = CPU Overheating

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Rob

Re: Vista woes

"gub" <gub.2zsw50@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the
> restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card
>

> --
> gub

Try here also:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk

Rob

--
Red meat isn't bad for you....Blue, Green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop
P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

Seth

Re: Vista woes
"gub" <gub.2zsw50@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the
> restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card

You have hardware woes, not Vista woes.

Problem 1,2 and 4 are happening before your system even attempts to load the
OS. That leads one to believe problem 3 would also be hardware related.

Remove everything that is not required. If you can remove some of your RAM
and still have a valid config, do that as well. If it still doesn't work,
try a different RAM combo.

Is there any overclocking going on? Set BIOS to defaults.

Do you have another video card you can try?

Troubleshoot your hardware (issue 1,2 and 4) and your software issue (item
3) will problem be solved as well.

Dwarf

RE: Vista woes
Hi gub,

Check and recheck all connections inside your machine. Remove and reinsert
all cards, RAM memory and leads/cables. Do not do this with your processor,
though, unless you are aple to replace the thermal interface material. When
you have done this, reboot your machine. Make sure that all fans are working.
If it still doesn't work correctly, then the motherboard battery might need
replacing. The original battery is usually fitted at the time of the board's
manufacture, so it could have been in it far longer than you think. If this
is the case, then you need to reenter the parameters in your BIOS if they are
different from the default settings. Note that the battery is a button cell
lithium type, usually a CR2032.
Dwarf

"gub" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card
>

> --
> gub

AJR

Re: Vista woes
Verify, as Rob suggests, the beep count - keep in mind that it may be a
series of beeps and not one continuous count.

Also Seth's advice is solid - the beep readout may "point" to the culprit.

"gub" <gub.2zsw50@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the
> restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card
>

> --
> gub

AJR

Re: Vista woes
Another comment regarding Dwarf's reply - if the battery is shot - BIOS
settings will not "hold" - check setup to verify HD is recognized.

"gub" <gub.2zsw50@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the
> restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card
>

> --
> gub

Zandor

RE: Vista woes
Sounds more like a motherboard issue the information you said is showing is
post information and from what i read from your post the computer is hanging
during post and that has nothing to do with the os.

"gub" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Vista Home Premium 64-bit to a machine that I've built
> myself.
>
> I've gone through all the normal 'fixes' and now I'm getting a bit
> annoyed with the machine.
>
> The problem is that the machine will sometime start without any
> problems and then on other occassions will take anything up to 10 tries
> to start.
>
> When the machine doesn't start it does one of the following:
>

> - Gets stuck showing the graphics card information.
> - Gets stuck showing me the CPU/RAM information and what is connected
> to what ports inside the machine.
> - Gets stuck on the scrolling windows bar.
> - Or it just bleeps at me.I've tried the Windows Disk to go through the restore and tested the
> hard drive, the RAM, the cables, the power supply, changed the graphics
> card (and back again). I've made sure that it's got the right drivers
> (or what I think are the right drivers).
>
> *Any help would be very much appreciated!
> *
> The spec of the machine:
> AMD Athlon 4400+ X2 64
> 2Gb DDR667 RAM
> ASROCK ALiveSATA2-GLAN Motherboard
> 250Gb Maxtor SATA2 HDD
> DVD-RW
> X-Pro Card Reader
> 500W PSU
> Nvidia 7200GS 128Mb Graphics Card
>

> --
> gub

gub

Re: Vista woes

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help. The machine now boots into Vista more often
than not - only trouble is that it will quite often have the following
problem:

The welcome page will come and go, but instead of going to the Vista
desktop it will get stuck on a black screen with the cursor on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gub

--