Install fails on my SATA drive

Phil

Install fails on my SATA drive
It is a seagate SATA 7200.9 drive and a GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard.
The Sata option I have in the bios is SATA/AHCI but I think at that setting
is when VISTA was hanging after it initally loaded files.

What should the bios be set at. I eventually used a IDE drive but I was
thinking of gettign a raptor today but want to avoid any install issues.

andy

Re: Install fails on my SATA drive
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:20:02 -0800, Phil
<Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It is a seagate SATA 7200.9 drive and a GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard.
>The Sata option I have in the bios is SATA/AHCI but I think at that setting
>is when VISTA was hanging after it initally loaded files.
>
>What should the bios be set at. I eventually used a IDE drive but I was
>thinking of gettign a raptor today but want to avoid any install issues.

If you set it to AHCI, you have to load the SATA RAID driver. If you
set it to Native IDE, you don't.
geezer10

Re: Install fails on my SATA drive

if the bios offers IDE emulation, then vista will recognise the sata
drive without drivers.

Otherwise, you probably have to install drivers at the beginning of the
installation from a floppy or (sometimes) a usb drive when it prompts
you.

if that is a problem IDE is the way to go

--
geezer10
Dustin Harper

Re: Install fails on my SATA drive
The BIOS setting at AHCI gives your SATA drive the advanced features you
paid for, so you can leave it like that. When Vista is loading, it says
Press F6 to load SATA/SCSI drivers. Make sure you have your motherboard
drivers ready and they should be on there (if not, you can download them
from Gigabyte).

If that doesn't work, you can change that setting in the BIOS to IDE and
it will emulate the SATA as an IDE and you will have no problems. It's
just a pain to switch after Vista is installed.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com