Upgrade Vista Launch Preview

russganz@gmail.com

Upgrade Vista Launch Preview
I have been running Vista from a DVD that I got at the Launch
Preview. Until recently I did not know that it was a pre-release
version so I have now purchased a full copy of Vista Premium. My
question is how do I install this full copy version without messing up
everything on my machine. Is there a way I can just enter my new
license key.... that would certainly be the easiest thing.

Russ

Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade Vista Launch Preview
Hi Russ,

Simply entering the full license key is insufficient as the files in use
would still be the prerelease versions, and the system will not be able to
accept any updates. You need to fully install it, and you can do this as an
upgrade (unless you purchased an OEM full version). While programs, user
accounts, and data are normally migrated as part of an upgrade, it is still
important that you backup existing data in the event that something goes
wrong.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<russganz@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1194569663.401462.258440@q5g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
>I have been running Vista from a DVD that I got at the Launch
> Preview. Until recently I did not know that it was a pre-release
> version so I have now purchased a full copy of Vista Premium. My
> question is how do I install this full copy version without messing up
> everything on my machine. Is there a way I can just enter my new
> license key.... that would certainly be the easiest thing.
>
> Russ

Dustin Harper

Re: Upgrade Vista Launch Preview
No. The pre-release was still beta code. You would want to do an upgrade
with the full final version. You would have more stablity, compatibility
and be able to get the updates that Microsoft offers.

You should be able to do an upgrade without a hitch, but it's always a
good idea to backup the important stuff.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com