This will make you think

prp77

This will make you think
Master is 320Gb SATA partitioned with XP Pro on first partition and files on
the second. Second hard drive is 250Gb IDE with Vista Ultimate. The reason
being didnt want to screw up WinXP which was running fine. Now after 6 months
I have finally got Vista where I want it with all software and device drivers
installed. Can I transfer Vista to the second partition of my SATA drive
(using Acronis or Norton Ghost) and dual boot both from the SATA drive
freeing up my IDE drive for files, or will it be a new installation
Rick Rogers

Re: This will make you think
Hi,

You may be able to image the drive and paste it onto the other volume, but
you will need to alter the bootloader to match the new location. The
hardware changes perceived by Vista may cause the system to require
reactivation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"prp77" <prp77@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Master is 320Gb SATA partitioned with XP Pro on first partition and files
> on
> the second. Second hard drive is 250Gb IDE with Vista Ultimate. The reason
> being didnt want to screw up WinXP which was running fine. Now after 6
> months
> I have finally got Vista where I want it with all software and device
> drivers
> installed. Can I transfer Vista to the second partition of my SATA drive
> (using Acronis or Norton Ghost) and dual boot both from the SATA drive
> freeing up my IDE drive for files, or will it be a new installation

prp77

Re: This will make you think
Hi
Thanks for the heads up on this. If I need to go through all the hastle of
reactivating the software again I may as well do a fresh install on the
second partition. Thanks for the quick response.

prp77