Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot

RBR

Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot

Hi,
I just built a new computer from components obtained from Newegg
including Vista 64. Pretty, but no drivers for a lot of my existing
hardware (printers , scanners, etc) and all the other known problems
like home networking. Bottom line, I can't use it now, so I purchased a
copy of XP Pro from Newegg and and plan to dual boot until Vista64 is
fully supported. I received a blister pack saying it was an OEM System
Builder Pack. Among the copious fine print was the statement that I
will need to install it with OPK. I haven't opened it yet...

Will I be able to dual boot this version of XP Pro? What is OPK and
will it cause problems when setting up a dual boot? Getting an
operating going on my new system has been a true pain!

Thanks to any and all for any help in this matter.

--
RBR
RBR

Re: Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot

Thanks, I think I found my answer in another post. I only need to use
OPK if I am reselling computers. Otherwise just install normally. Any
comments?

Thanks

--
RBR
Dominic Payer

Re: Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot
The OPK installs an OS so that a system builder's customer sees and accepts
the licence agreement and then immediately can activate, define their user
account(s) and log on.

When you do a normal clean install with the disk the licence agreement is
displayed and must be accepted before the installation begins, and you have
to wait while the install is processed.

"RBR" <RBR.2zqt55@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Thanks, I think I found my answer in another post. I only need to use
> OPK if I am reselling computers. Otherwise just install normally. Any
> comments?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> RBR

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Re: Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot
Hello,
that would be correct. It should install just like a retail setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|> From: RBR <RBR.2zqt55@no-mx.forums.net>
|> Subject: Re: Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot
|> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:33:40 -0600
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup

Thanks, I think I found my answer in another post. I only need to use
OPK if I am reselling computers. Otherwise just install normally. Any
comments?

Thanks

--
RBR

John Barnes

Re: Vista64 and XP Pro OEM Dual Boot
Just a reminder that dual booting with XP will destroy your shadow copies
and restore points in Vista. Also, you will need to run the startup repair
of Vista after installing XP to restore the Vista start menu unless you
change system partitions for the install.