Motherboard replacement vista Bus

Motherboard and Processor Replacement

Motherboard replacement vista Bus
replaced motherboard and processor after pwr surge. I've run "repair" from
Vista disc several times and memory diagnostics to no avail. System won't
restart in Safe mode either. I've tried to restore from last known good
state but doesn't work either. My only backup is a One Care but it is not a
"full" backup. Any suggestions?
R. C. White

Re: Motherboard replacement vista Bus
Hi, Motherboard.

Unless that motherboard was an exact duplicate of the failed one, you
probably will need to do a "repair install", also known as an "in-place
upgrade" so that Vista Setup can detect the new hardware and customize YOUR
installation of Vista to fit its changed environment. It basically
reinstalls Vista, but leaves your installed applications and data in place.
You probably should set aside half a day to do this. I did it several times
with WinXP; the only time I had to do it with Vista it took me six hours,
including updating and re-tweaking afterwards.

You've given us no details - not even the make and model of your computer or
the specific version of Vista - so we can give only generic advice at this
point. We don't even know if your computer is in warranty, or if your copy
of Vista is Full, Upgrade or OEM. It DOES make a difference!

Did you get a Vista DVD-ROM with your computer, or only a recovery disk that
restores Vista but wipes out all your apps and data?

(Too late for this episode, but backup power supplies cost only $100 or so
these days. Cheap insurance against power surges.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Motherboard and Processor Replacement" <Motherboard and Processor
Replacement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> replaced motherboard and processor after pwr surge. I've run "repair"
> from
> Vista disc several times and memory diagnostics to no avail. System won't
> restart in Safe mode either. I've tried to restore from last known good
> state but doesn't work either. My only backup is a One Care but it is not
> "full" backup. Any suggestions?

Dwarf

RE: Motherboard replacement vista Bus
Hi,

Whenever you change the motherboard in a system, I strongly recommend that
you do a full reinstallation of Vista (the same applies for other operating
systems as well). The reason for this is that different boards require
different drivers to access the hardware on the board and, obviously, the
incorrect drivers will not work. If you want to retrieve data from your
disk(s) then you will have to install on a fresh disk and then access the
data after installing Vista and your other applications. Please note that
when it comes to reactivating Vista, you will not be able to do it over the
Internet nor will you be able to do it over the telephone with the automated
system. You will have to stay on the line and wait to speak to an operator
who will then be able to assist you. It is quite possible that if the power
surge took out your old motherboard and processor then it might have taken
out other components as well, including your drives. To prevent this problem
in future, I strongly recommend that you obtain and use an anti-surge
adapter/extension socket for your computer.
Dwarf

"Motherboard and Processor Replacement" wrote:

> replaced motherboard and processor after pwr surge. I've run "repair" from
> Vista disc several times and memory diagnostics to no avail. System won't
> restart in Safe mode either. I've tried to restore from last known good
> state but doesn't work either. My only backup is a One Care but it is not a
> "full" backup. Any suggestions?

Motherboard and Processor Replacement

Re: Motherboard replacement vista Bus
Ok a little more info, sorry this is new to me. Had an Asus P5WD Premium
with Pentium 840 extreme. The board crapped out even though on a surge
protector when the lights in the house blinked very briefly other computers
in house did not even reboot. I replaced the board with a P5E and quad core
intel so it was not close to a duplicate. When the system attempts to boot
the microsoft window bar shows up at the bottom of the screen but is shaded
and then it just tries to reboot itself. When I attempt to reinstall my
Vista Bus I enter my license but it comes back telling me I need to boot from
the original OS which was that copy of Vista Bus. I originally upgraded from
XP Pro to Vista Bus using this same DVD.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Motherboard.
>
> Unless that motherboard was an exact duplicate of the failed one, you
> probably will need to do a "repair install", also known as an "in-place
> upgrade" so that Vista Setup can detect the new hardware and customize YOUR
> installation of Vista to fit its changed environment. It basically
> reinstalls Vista, but leaves your installed applications and data in place.
> You probably should set aside half a day to do this. I did it several times
> with WinXP; the only time I had to do it with Vista it took me six hours,
> including updating and re-tweaking afterwards.
>
> You've given us no details - not even the make and model of your computer or
> the specific version of Vista - so we can give only generic advice at this
> point. We don't even know if your computer is in warranty, or if your copy
> of Vista is Full, Upgrade or OEM. It DOES make a difference!
>
> Did you get a Vista DVD-ROM with your computer, or only a recovery disk that
> restores Vista but wipes out all your apps and data?
>
> (Too late for this episode, but backup power supplies cost only $100 or so
> these days. Cheap insurance against power surges.)
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Motherboard and Processor Replacement" <Motherboard and Processor
> Replacement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > replaced motherboard and processor after pwr surge. I've run "repair"
> > from
> > Vista disc several times and memory diagnostics to no avail. System won't
> > restart in Safe mode either. I've tried to restore from last known good
> > state but doesn't work either. My only backup is a One Care but it is not
> > "full" backup. Any suggestions?

R. C. White

Re: Motherboard replacement vista Bus
Hi, Motherboard. (What IS your name - or handle? You apparently put the
Subject where your From name should have been in your OP (Original Post).)

Thanks for the additional info. It seems that a repair install is the what
you need to do.

You still didn't answer this question from my first reply:
>> We don't even know ... if your copy
>> of Vista is Full, Upgrade or OEM. It DOES make a difference!

It apparently is NOT an OEM disk because that would not have allowed you to
upgrade from WinXP with it. If it is a Retail Upgrade DVD, then you very
well may have to reinstall WinXP and run Vista Install from within WinXP.

But, if it is a Full Retail Vista DVD, then boot from it and Install Vista
again. When Setup asks, tell it you want to Upgrade.

You've already tried the Repair Boot option, but that new mobo/chipset
apparently needs more re-customization than simply repairing the startup
files. As I said, the in-place upgrade is more like a complete reinstall of
Vista, so it takes a long time. In my case, it took several times longer
than the original clean install of Vista. Upgrades - even an "upgrade" to
the already-installed same version - apparently involve a lot of
backtracking and undoing previous customizations.

If you can backup your data and if you have installation media for all your
applications, your best bet might be a clean install - but if you have only
an Upgrade DVD, then it might involve reinstalling WinXP first.

But I'm still shooting in the dark because I still don't have a clear
picture of what kind of Vista DVD you have. Until I know that, my tries to
help have to be full of "If...if..." :>(

RC
--

message news:AA71E067-E300-446C-BA78-52DABF2228AF@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> so
>> these days. Cheap insurance against power surges.)
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
>>
>> "Motherboard and Processor Replacement" <Motherboard and Processor
>> Replacement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > replaced motherboard and processor after pwr surge. I've run "repair"
>> > from
>> > Vista disc several times and memory diagnostics to no avail. System
>> > won't
>> > restart in Safe mode either. I've tried to restore from last known
>> > good
>> > state but doesn't work either. My only backup is a One Care but it is

My apologies,
This stuff is new to me. My name is John Hofmann and pretty soon I'll be
an alcoholic! My version of Vista Business is an upgrade. I also happen to
have a legal copy of XP 64 bit so I may just bite the bullet and start from
scratch and upgrade to 64 bit and stay with XP for now. I've also sent the
old board back to Asus for repair but this just may be the opportunity to go
the 64 bit route. I use the computer for my photo business so am well backed
up. The only programs I care about are CS3, Bridge, Lightroom and MS Office.
My C Drive is Programs only and my F is pictures only and I have a One Care
Backup of all my documents and images.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]

> >> this
> >> point. We don't even know if your computer is in warranty, or if your
> >> copy
> >> of Vista is Full, Upgrade or OEM. It DOES make a difference!
> >>
> >> Did you get a Vista DVD-ROM with your computer, or only a recovery disk
> >> that
> >> restores Vista but wipes out all your apps and data?
> >>
> >> (Too late for this episode, but backup power supplies cost only $100 or
> >> so
> >> these days. Cheap insurance against power surges.)
> >>
> >> RC
> >> --
> >> R. C. White, CPA
> >> San Marcos, TX
> >> rc@grandecom.net
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP
> >> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64)
> >>
> >> "Motherboard and Processor Replacement" <Motherboard and Processor

Hi, John.

> I use the computer for my photo business so am well backed
> up.

Good!

> The only programs I care about are CS3, Bridge, Lightroom and MS Office.

And I assume that you have installation media for all those so that you can
reinstall them. There is no upgrade path from 32-bit anything to 64-bit
anything; hardware and resulting driver differences are just too great. And
there's no path from 64 to 32-bit, either. Whenever we decide to change
"bitness", a clean install is the only way to go.

> My version of Vista Business is an upgrade. I also happen to
> have a legal copy of XP 64 bit so I may just bite the bullet and start
> from
> scratch and upgrade to 64 bit and stay with XP for now.

If I were in your situation, I'd clean-install WinXP x64, to provide a start
for the upgrade path. Then I'd upgrade from WinXP x64 to Vista Business
x64. Then, after finishing with Windows Update and re-tweaking my desktop
to suit me, I'd reinstall the apps and restore my data. It's a long
process, but by this time tomorrow, I'd be up and running with my new 64-bit
Vista system. ;<}

RC
--

message news:7B3EEC5C-B9F6-46DA-96BF-7A124DC4CFEA@microsoft.com...
> [...]

>> > protector when the lights in the house blinked very briefly other
>> > computers
>> > in house did not even reboot. I replaced the board with a P5E and quad
>> > core
>> > intel so it was not close to a duplicate. When the system attempts to
>> > boot
>> > the microsoft window bar shows up at the bottom of the screen but is
>> > shaded
>> > and then it just tries to reboot itself. When I attempt to reinstall
>> > my
>> > Vista Bus I enter my license but it comes back telling me I need to
>> > boot
>> > from
>> > the original OS which was that copy of Vista Bus. I originally
>> > upgraded
>> > from
>> > XP Pro to Vista Bus using this same DVD.

Well I "bit" the bullet and installed Vista Bus 64 and reinstalled all my
programs. I have my images on a separate HD and backed up also but the
backup is a One Care back up which is not supported under Vista 64. Is there
a method of recovering all my documents and pst files from the One Care? Oh
and I have installed a UPS as well to avoid a repeat.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]

> >> files. As I said, the in-place upgrade is more like a complete reinstall
> >> of
> >> Vista, so it takes a long time. In my case, it took several times longer
> >> than the original clean install of Vista. Upgrades - even an "upgrade"
> >> the already-installed same version - apparently involve a lot of
> >> backtracking and undoing previous customizations.
> >>
> >> If you can backup your data and if you have installation media for all
> >> your
> >> applications, your best bet might be a clean install - but if you have
> >> only
> >> an Upgrade DVD, then it might involve reinstalling WinXP first.
> >>
> >> But I'm still shooting in the dark because I still don't have a clear
> >> picture of what kind of Vista DVD you have. Until I know that, my tries
> >> help have to be full of "If...if..." :>(

See if this helps:
Windows Live OneCare 2.0 Beta
http://get.live.com/betas/en-us/onecare_betas

Among other things, the FAQ says:
"Is x64 supported?
"OneCare 2.0 Beta supports Windows Vista x64 systems."

I've not used OneCare, John, so I overlooked that part of your message. One
point that I don't see in that web page is whether the beta 2.0 will Restore
a backup made with an earlier version, or with a WinXP version or a 32-bit
version. And, as usual in discussions of backup/restore, the focus is on
the backup part, with short shrift given to the Restore part of the process,
which is really the important part. Backup does us no good if we can't
Restore! :>(

Here's a thread that started in July, discussing this beta, with several
comments by MVP Stephen Boots, who moderates that forum. I'm sure Steve can
answer any OneCare questions you may have. For a current list of messages
in this forum, go to:
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...=1745&SiteID=2

I see that there is a newsgroup named
microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.backup, but there apparently are no
posts in it at all. :>(

That UPS is a good idea! I've used those for over 20 years and they have
saved me from many disasters.

RC
--

message news:FD976966-8ECC-4550-8106-E26C4642D487@microsoft.com...
> [...]

>> > This stuff is new to me. My name is John Hofmann and pretty soon
>> > I'll
>> > be
>> > an alcoholic! My version of Vista Business is an upgrade. I also
>> > happen
>> > have a legal copy of XP 64 bit so I may just bite the bullet and start
>> > from
>> > scratch and upgrade to 64 bit and stay with XP for now. I've also sent
>> > the
>> > old board back to Asus for repair but this just may be the opportunity
>> > go
>> > the 64 bit route. I use the computer for my photo business so am well
>> > backed
>> > up. The only programs I care about are CS3, Bridge, Lightroom and MS
>> > Office.
>> > My C Drive is Programs only and my F is pictures only and I have a One

fadbel

RE: Motherboard replacement vista Bus
Here it is March 2008 and the same problem arises. My ASUS motherboard failed
due to a power supply failure or, maybe it was the other way around?
I've tried "Repair" of Vista Business 3 times (5 hours) and it says it
cannot be repaired. OK, I say re-install...Yeah! When I enter the product
key, it says "you've already used that key!"
I've been able, through the repair process, to call up the cmd console and
visually browse the target drive...no problems, so I assume the drive itself
is OK.
I also have other drives/partiitions but the Product key problem will stop
me there.
It's almost Sunday, 3/16, so, no Microsoft support available.
I'm on a temp XP Pro system.
Any other possible solutions????????
--
fadbel - retired tech/analyst.