Dual booting

gursaran abott

Dual booting
hi
i have a gateway laptop with windows vista home premium edition, it has a
intel 945GM chipset and it has 2 primary partition Csystem) and D:
I tried to make this system dual boot by installing windows xp by
booting of the xp cd and the laptop DETECTED the hard drive but i had
accidently my external harddrive connected to the computer
I wanted to install xp on drive D:
so i deleted D: during installation process which was showing a lot of
unusual space becoz it included the external hard drive space also in order
to have a partition space of my own choice.
i was prepared to delete my D: drive but this action deleted my external
hard drive which i was not prepared for and didn't continue that installation.
After a few days i tried to install windows XP on drive D: by booting of XP
cd it always gave me an error message "NO HARDDISK FOUND MAKE SURE YOUR
HARDDISK ARE POWERED ON OR CONNECTED OR YOU MAY HAVE TO RUN MANUFACTURE'S
DIAGANOSTIC TOOL" means it didn't detect the hard drive as earlier.
Hoping as a solution i did a clean reinstallation of windows vista by
running the restore cd but still when i wanted to make this system as
dualboot it gave me the same message as above .
I forgot to mention my computer runs perfect when i run it on vista it shows
the harddrive C: and D: but it doesnot detect hardrive when i try to install
XP by booting of the XP CD
Is it a driver i don't have ?
while installing XP why is computer not detecting the hardrive as it did for
the first time ?
how can i install XP on this system
I want to install XP on this laptop any way possible
somebody please guide me to sort it out i will really appreciate any help.

Mick Murphy

RE: Dual booting
Sata Hard Drive?

"gursaran abott" wrote:

> hi
> i have a gateway laptop with windows vista home premium edition, it has a
> intel 945GM chipset and it has 2 primary partition Csystem) and D:
> I tried to make this system dual boot by installing windows xp by
> booting of the xp cd and the laptop DETECTED the hard drive but i had
> accidently my external harddrive connected to the computer
> I wanted to install xp on drive D:
> so i deleted D: during installation process which was showing a lot of
> unusual space becoz it included the external hard drive space also in order
> to have a partition space of my own choice.
> i was prepared to delete my D: drive but this action deleted my external
> hard drive which i was not prepared for and didn't continue that installation.
> After a few days i tried to install windows XP on drive D: by booting of XP
> cd it always gave me an error message "NO HARDDISK FOUND MAKE SURE YOUR
> HARDDISK ARE POWERED ON OR CONNECTED OR YOU MAY HAVE TO RUN MANUFACTURE'S
> DIAGANOSTIC TOOL" means it didn't detect the hard drive as earlier.
> Hoping as a solution i did a clean reinstallation of windows vista by
> running the restore cd but still when i wanted to make this system as
> dualboot it gave me the same message as above .
> I forgot to mention my computer runs perfect when i run it on vista it shows
> the harddrive C: and D: but it doesnot detect hardrive when i try to install
> XP by booting of the XP CD
> Is it a driver i don't have ?
> while installing XP why is computer not detecting the hardrive as it did for
> the first time ?
> how can i install XP on this system
> I want to install XP on this laptop any way possible
> somebody please guide me to sort it out i will really appreciate any help.

gursaran abott

RE: Dual booting
hi
how can install XP on this computer
thanks

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Sata Hard Drive?
>
> "gursaran abott" wrote:
>
> > hi
> > i have a gateway laptop with windows vista home premium edition, it has a
> > intel 945GM chipset and it has 2 primary partition Csystem) and D:
> > I tried to make this system dual boot by installing windows xp by
> > booting of the xp cd and the laptop DETECTED the hard drive but i had
> > accidently my external harddrive connected to the computer
> > I wanted to install xp on drive D:
> > so i deleted D: during installation process which was showing a lot of
> > unusual space becoz it included the external hard drive space also in order
> > to have a partition space of my own choice.
> > i was prepared to delete my D: drive but this action deleted my external
> > hard drive which i was not prepared for and didn't continue that installation.
> > After a few days i tried to install windows XP on drive D: by booting of XP
> > cd it always gave me an error message "NO HARDDISK FOUND MAKE SURE YOUR
> > HARDDISK ARE POWERED ON OR CONNECTED OR YOU MAY HAVE TO RUN MANUFACTURE'S
> > DIAGANOSTIC TOOL" means it didn't detect the hard drive as earlier.
> > Hoping as a solution i did a clean reinstallation of windows vista by
> > running the restore cd but still when i wanted to make this system as
> > dualboot it gave me the same message as above .
> > I forgot to mention my computer runs perfect when i run it on vista it shows
> > the harddrive C: and D: but it doesnot detect hardrive when i try to install
> > XP by booting of the XP CD
> > Is it a driver i don't have ?
> > while installing XP why is computer not detecting the hardrive as it did for
> > the first time ?
> > how can i install XP on this system
> > I want to install XP on this laptop any way possible
> > somebody please guide me to sort it out i will really appreciate any help.

John Barnes

Re: Dual booting
Mick asked a question you didn't answer. You are probably in need of
installing SATA controller drivers using F6

"gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
> how can install XP on this computer
> thanks
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> Sata Hard Drive?
>>
>> "gursaran abott" wrote:
>>
>> > hi
>> > i have a gateway laptop with windows vista home premium edition, it
>> > has a
>> > intel 945GM chipset and it has 2 primary partition Csystem) and D:
>> > I tried to make this system dual boot by installing windows xp
>> > by
>> > booting of the xp cd and the laptop DETECTED the hard drive but i had
>> > accidently my external harddrive connected to the computer
>> > I wanted to install xp on drive D:
>> > so i deleted D: during installation process which was showing a lot of
>> > unusual space becoz it included the external hard drive space also in
>> > order
>> > to have a partition space of my own choice.
>> > i was prepared to delete my D: drive but this action deleted my
>> > external
>> > hard drive which i was not prepared for and didn't continue that
>> > installation.
>> > After a few days i tried to install windows XP on drive D: by booting
>> > of XP
>> > cd it always gave me an error message "NO HARDDISK FOUND MAKE SURE YOUR
>> > HARDDISK ARE POWERED ON OR CONNECTED OR YOU MAY HAVE TO RUN
>> > MANUFACTURE'S
>> > DIAGANOSTIC TOOL" means it didn't detect the hard drive as earlier.
>> > Hoping as a solution i did a clean reinstallation of windows vista by
>> > running the restore cd but still when i wanted to make this system as
>> > dualboot it gave me the same message as above .
>> > I forgot to mention my computer runs perfect when i run it on vista it
>> > shows
>> > the harddrive C: and D: but it doesnot detect hardrive when i try to
>> > install
>> > XP by booting of the XP CD
>> > Is it a driver i don't have ?
>> > while installing XP why is computer not detecting the hardrive as it
>> > did for
>> > the first time ?
>> > how can i install XP on this system
>> > I want to install XP on this laptop any way possible
>> > somebody please guide me to sort it out i will really appreciate any
>> > help.

gursaran abott

Re: Dual booting
hi
oh i am sorry ,yes it is a sata hard drive where can i get sata controller
drivers and how do i do it using F6
thanks

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Mick asked a question you didn't answer. You are probably in need of
> installing SATA controller drivers using F6
>
> "gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi
> > how can install XP on this computer
> > thanks
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> >> Sata Hard Drive?

John Barnes

Re: Dual booting
You should look on the motherboard manufacturers site for the drivers for
XP. You will then have to extract them to a floppy drive and then within a
few seconds of the start of the XP install, there will be a message on the
bottom of the screen that tells you to hit F6 to install drivers. Follow
the instructions

> hi
> oh i am sorry ,yes it is a sata hard drive where can i get sata controller
> drivers and how do i do it using F6
> thanks
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Mick asked a question you didn't answer. You are probably in need of
>> installing SATA controller drivers using F6
>>
>> "gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > hi
>> > how can install XP on this computer
>> > thanks

John Barnes

Re: Dual booting
Just a reminder, when you install XP after Vista, you will have to run the
Vista startup repair on the DVD. You can search this newsgroup for various
guides. This is one http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

> You should look on the motherboard manufacturers site for the drivers for
> XP. You will then have to extract them to a floppy drive and then within
> a few seconds of the start of the XP install, there will be a message on
> the bottom of the screen that tells you to hit F6 to install drivers.
> Follow the instructions
>
> "gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:3A5E92EC-E8AB-4260-9ED9-8FE89EF68DAC@microsoft.com...
>> hi
>> oh i am sorry ,yes it is a sata hard drive where can i get sata
>> controller
>> drivers and how do i do it using F6
>> thanks
>>
>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>>> Mick asked a question you didn't answer. You are probably in need of
>>> installing SATA controller drivers using F6
>>>
>>> "gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Mick Murphy

Re: Dual booting
Adding to John's advice; if you haven't got a floppy in your computer, put
them on a Memory stick

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Just a reminder, when you install XP after Vista, you will have to run the
> Vista startup repair on the DVD. You can search this newsgroup for various
> guides. This is one http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
>
> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
> > You should look on the motherboard manufacturers site for the drivers for
> > XP. You will then have to extract them to a floppy drive and then within
> > a few seconds of the start of the XP install, there will be a message on
> > the bottom of the screen that tells you to hit F6 to install drivers.
> > Follow the instructions
> >
> > "gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:3A5E92EC-E8AB-4260-9ED9-8FE89EF68DAC@microsoft.com...
> >> hi
> >> oh i am sorry ,yes it is a sata hard drive where can i get sata
> >> controller
> >> drivers and how do i do it using F6
> >> thanks

Mick Murphy

Re: Dual booting
Adding to John's advice; if you have no floppy, put them on a memory stick.

"gursaran abott" wrote:

> hi
> oh i am sorry ,yes it is a sata hard drive where can i get sata controller
> drivers and how do i do it using F6
> thanks
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > Mick asked a question you didn't answer. You are probably in need of
> > installing SATA controller drivers using F6
> >
> > "gursaran abott" <gursaranabott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hi
> > > how can install XP on this computer
> > > thanks

John Barnes

Re: Dual booting
XP requires a floppy. Vista is the first Windows that allows a memory
stick.