Program settings from Win98 sys to Vista Home Edition

Atreyu

Program settings from Win98 sys to Vista Home Edition
Just got a new computer that runs Vista Home Edition, and I'm in process of
installing the programs I have and use on my old Windows 98 system computer
onto the new Vista computer.

After installing those programs on the new Vista computer, what files do I
copy from the old Win 98 computer and install on the Vista computer so I
don't have to go thru the process of tweaking each moved program?

I know about the Easy Transfer, but it isn't feasible for me to put the two
computers within reasonable proximity to connect them.

All responses greatly appreciated.

--
========================
"...every form of refuge has its price." - Lyin' Eyes, Eagles

Malke

Re: Program settings from Win98 sys to Vista Home Edition
Atreyu wrote:
> Just got a new computer that runs Vista Home Edition, and I'm in process of
> installing the programs I have and use on my old Windows 98 system computer
> onto the new Vista computer.
>
> After installing those programs on the new Vista computer, what files do I
> copy from the old Win 98 computer and install on the Vista computer so I
> don't have to go thru the process of tweaking each moved program?
>
> I know about the Easy Transfer, but it isn't feasible for me to put the two
> computers within reasonable proximity to connect them.

I'm sorry but it really depends on each individual program. Either look
in the programs' Help files or use Google with perhaps a search term
such as "transfer settings Firefox", etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Mick Murphy

RE: Program settings from Win98 sys to Vista Home Edition
You can't "move" the programs from one to the other.

You have to reinstall them from CD, or download them again from the Net, if
that is where you got them.

"Atreyu" wrote:

> Just got a new computer that runs Vista Home Edition, and I'm in process of
> installing the programs I have and use on my old Windows 98 system computer
> onto the new Vista computer.
>
> After installing those programs on the new Vista computer, what files do I
> copy from the old Win 98 computer and install on the Vista computer so I
> don't have to go thru the process of tweaking each moved program?
>
> I know about the Easy Transfer, but it isn't feasible for me to put the two
> computers within reasonable proximity to connect them.
>
> All responses greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> ========================
> "...every form of refuge has its price." - Lyin' Eyes, Eagles
> "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
> putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain
> "You have more freedom than you're using." - Gleaned from the Internet
> "Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
> "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
> safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
> Thesis > Antithesis > Synthesis

Atreyu

Re: Program settings from Win98 sys to Vista Home Edition
Thanks Malke, I'll give your suggestion a shot.

--