Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

New hard drive and backup

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2007
Craig008
 

Posts: n/a
New hard drive and backup
i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back up
to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to the
new mother board
--
grapes
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2007
peter
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New hard drive and backup
a new mobo requires new drivers...a new Vista install will do that.....then
you can restore your "settings" from your backup
peter
"Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:15185A17-33D3-42D9-92D7-AEB7C1E6A39F@microsoft.com...
>i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
> choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back
> up
> to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to
> the
> new mother board
> --
> grapes


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2007
Craig008
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New hard drive and backup
thanks for that
--
grapes


"peter" wrote:

> a new mobo requires new drivers...a new Vista install will do that.....then
> you can restore your "settings" from your backup
> peter
> "Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:15185A17-33D3-42D9-92D7-AEB7C1E6A39F@microsoft.com...
> >i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
> > choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back
> > up
> > to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to
> > the
> > new mother board
> > --
> > grapes

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Gene K
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New hard drive and backup
You may have problems IF your operating system (version of VISTA) came
preinstalled when you bought your computer which would make it OEM. As such,
it would limited for use only on the original computer. Computer
identification is usually determined by hardware, specifically by the
motherboard.
Gene K

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
cw823
 

Posts: n/a
RE: New hard drive and backup
I've heard myths of people repairing Windows by booting from the CD, but when
replacing motherboards it's normally a good idea to do a fresh install of
windows. Saves problems down the road.

"Craig008" wrote:

> i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
> choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back up
> to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to the
> new mother board
> --
> grapes

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Craig008
 

Posts: n/a
RE: New hard drive and backup
thanks or all ur help, vista was not OEM i built the machine myself and
started with OEM XP so i will start there and then reinstall the vista
upgrade and the see if i can use my backup to get it all back. just our of
interest does the backup restore all of my programmes as well, its takes ages
to install all of that stuff
--
grapes


"cw823" wrote:

> I've heard myths of people repairing Windows by booting from the CD, but when
> replacing motherboards it's normally a good idea to do a fresh install of
> windows. Saves problems down the road.
>
> "Craig008" wrote:
>
> > i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
> > choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back up
> > to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to the
> > new mother board
> > --
> > grapes

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
cw823
 

Posts: n/a
RE: New hard drive and backup
The only way you'd get everything back exactly like it was would be if you
had taken an image of the drive. You will be able to copy documents, music
files, etc.... over but you will most likely have to reinstall any programs
that you use.

"Craig008" wrote:

> thanks or all ur help, vista was not OEM i built the machine myself and
> started with OEM XP so i will start there and then reinstall the vista
> upgrade and the see if i can use my backup to get it all back. just our of
> interest does the backup restore all of my programmes as well, its takes ages
> to install all of that stuff
> --
> grapes
>
>
> "cw823" wrote:
>
> > I've heard myths of people repairing Windows by booting from the CD, but when
> > replacing motherboards it's normally a good idea to do a fresh install of
> > windows. Saves problems down the road.
> >
> > "Craig008" wrote:
> >
> > > i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
> > > choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back up
> > > to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to the
> > > new mother board
> > > --
> > > grapes

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2007
Craig008
 

Posts: n/a
RE: New hard drive and backup
i made a backup of my c drive and all my file are stored on another hard
drive, so files are fine
--
grapes


"cw823" wrote:

> The only way you'd get everything back exactly like it was would be if you
> had taken an image of the drive. You will be able to copy documents, music
> files, etc.... over but you will most likely have to reinstall any programs
> that you use.
>
> "Craig008" wrote:
>
> > thanks or all ur help, vista was not OEM i built the machine myself and
> > started with OEM XP so i will start there and then reinstall the vista
> > upgrade and the see if i can use my backup to get it all back. just our of
> > interest does the backup restore all of my programmes as well, its takes ages
> > to install all of that stuff
> > --
> > grapes
> >
> >
> > "cw823" wrote:
> >
> > > I've heard myths of people repairing Windows by booting from the CD, but when
> > > replacing motherboards it's normally a good idea to do a fresh install of
> > > windows. Saves problems down the road.
> > >
> > > "Craig008" wrote:
> > >
> > > > i have just had to fit a new hard drive (C and mother board (Through
> > > > choice) luckily i did a backup before it crashed can i now use that back up
> > > > to get back to my old setting or am i going to need to start again due to the
> > > > new mother board
> > > > --
> > > > grapes

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't Backup to a Network Hard Drive using Vista Backup =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IFNodXR0bGV3b3J0aA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 22 05-13-2008 14:17
Backup Vista via Hard Drive Image Sam microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 19 03-29-2007 20:36
I can't backup my hard drive =?Utf-8?B?QmFjayBoZWxw?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 2 03-27-2007 00:03
Backup utility does not find my backup hard drive =?Utf-8?B?Y2FwdGFpbmFr?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 03-06-2007 15:56
Backup-hard drive not visible XD microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 03-01-2007 03:04




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:42.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120