Can't install XP (multiboot) with Vista..

D. Grampa

Can't install XP (multiboot) with Vista..
I have Vista already installed on my pc, but can't install XP Pro on a
seperate partition that already exists. The partition is formatted (NTFS).
When I run the XP Pro install CD, the first option "Install Windows XP" is
'greyed-out'. Vista is on "C" and I want to put XP on "E" which is the empty
partition.

Any thoughts? I've searched a ton already..
Andy

Re: Can't install XP (multiboot) with Vista..
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:28:04 -0800, D. Grampa
<DGrampa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Vista already installed on my pc, but can't install XP Pro on a
>seperate partition that already exists. The partition is formatted (NTFS).
>When I run the XP Pro install CD, the first option "Install Windows XP" is
>'greyed-out'. Vista is on "C" and I want to put XP on "E" which is the empty
>partition.
>
>Any thoughts? I've searched a ton already..

You have to boot the computer from the XP CD.
Mike Brannigan

"Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:28:04 -0800, D. Grampa
> <DGrampa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I have Vista already installed on my pc, but can't install XP Pro on a
>>seperate partition that already exists. The partition is formatted (NTFS).
>>When I run the XP Pro install CD, the first option "Install Windows XP" is
>>'greyed-out'. Vista is on "C" and I want to put XP on "E" which is the
>>empty
>>partition.
>>
>>Any thoughts? I've searched a ton already..

> You have to boot the computer from the XP CD.

And doing so will then break his Vista boot loader which he will have to
reinstall from the Vista DVD.
(See the post a couple down from here"XP install clobbered Vista")

--

Mike Brannigan

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't install XP (multiboot) with Vista..
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

The above link is your answers.

Make sure you read it all; and it IS long!

"D. Grampa" wrote:

> I have Vista already installed on my pc, but can't install XP Pro on a
> seperate partition that already exists. The partition is formatted (NTFS).
> When I run the XP Pro install CD, the first option "Install Windows XP" is
> 'greyed-out'. Vista is on "C" and I want to put XP on "E" which is the empty
> partition.
>
> Any thoughts? I've searched a ton already..

John Barnett MVP

Re: Can't install XP (multiboot) with Vista..
using VistaBootPro will rectify the loss of Vista's boot manager; this is the
option i usually recommend in situations such as these.
--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Mike Brannigan" wrote:

> "Andy" <1@2.3> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:28:04 -0800, D. Grampa
> > <DGrampa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I have Vista already installed on my pc, but can't install XP Pro on a
> >>seperate partition that already exists. The partition is formatted (NTFS).
> >>When I run the XP Pro install CD, the first option "Install Windows XP" is
> >>'greyed-out'. Vista is on "C" and I want to put XP on "E" which is the
> >>empty
> >>partition.
> >>
> >>Any thoughts? I've searched a ton already..

> > You have to boot the computer from the XP CD.

> And doing so will then break his Vista boot loader which he will have to
> reinstall from the Vista DVD.
> (See the post a couple down from here"XP install clobbered Vista")
>
> --
>
> Mike Brannigan

John Barnett MVP

RE: Can't install XP (multiboot) with Vista..
If you only have the 'upgrade' option available then you are trying to
install XP from within the windows environment; try booting directly from the
XP CD - see this link on my website:
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...windows_xp.htm
You should also read the following instruction in conjuction with the one
above:http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm