XP install clobered Vista

Aaron Gray

XP install clobered Vista
Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
drive.

I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
recover Vista ?

I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with out
having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.

Any help welcomed,

Aaron

Mike Brannigan

Re: XP install clobered Vista
"Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
> drive.
>
> I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
> recover Vista ?
>
> I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with
> out having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.
>
> Any help welcomed,
>
> Aaron

You always install the oldest OS first to the newest.
The recovery process will require your Vista DVD to replace you now
"clobbered" boot loader etc.

--

Mike Brannigan

R. C. White

Re: XP install clobered Vista
Hi, Aaron.

You violated the Golden Rule of dual booting: Always install the newest
operating system last. :>( The latest system's Setup file knows how to
handle all the earlier ones. But WinXP's Setup has no idea what to do with
Vista.

If you had the Vista DVD, recovery would be pretty easy. Without it, it's
still easy IF you have Vista's bootsect.exe file on your hard drive. WinXP
will run this Vista program, but the file is not copied from the DVD's \boot
folder to your hard drive by default. You must either run bootsect.exe from
the DVD, or copy it to your hard drive and run it from there. If you don't
have bootsect.exe, try here:
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

See this KB article:
Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the
Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

Unless you've overwritten it, you still have Vista's hidden \Boot folder on
your system partition.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
> drive.
>
> I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
> recover Vista ?
>
> I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with
> out having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.
>
> Any help welcomed,
>
> Aaron

andy

Re: XP install clobered Vista
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:08:24 -0000, "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
>drive.
>
>I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
>recover Vista ?
>
>I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with out
>having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.
>
>Any help welcomed,
>
>Aaron

Try using VistaBootPro <http://www.vistabootpro.org/>.
Aaron Gray

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
>> drive.
>>
>> I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
>> recover Vista ?
>>
>> I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with
>> out having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.

> You always install the oldest OS first to the newest.

Sounds like good practice, but the reality is different

> The recovery process will require your Vista DVD to replace you now
> "clobbered" boot loader etc.

Okay I have the Vista DVD after all, phew, and the Vista C: partition looks
fine from XP. How do I now reinstall the boot loader ?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Schrodinger's cat

> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>> "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
>>> recover Vista ?
>>>
>>> I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with
>>> out having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.

>> You always install the oldest OS first to the newest.

> Sounds like good practice, but the reality is different
>
>> The recovery process will require your Vista DVD to replace you now
>> "clobbered" boot loader etc.

> Okay I have the Vista DVD after all, phew, and the Vista C: partition
> looks fine from XP. How do I now reinstall the boot loader ?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron

Stick the Vista DVD in and boot up using it. There is an option to repair
it, which fixes the mbr. I did it myself last week.

HTH

Martin

Aaron Gray

"Schrodinger's cat" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
> "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Okay I have the Vista DVD after all, phew, and the Vista C: partition
>> looks fine from XP. How do I now reinstall the boot loader ?

> Stick the Vista DVD in and boot up using it. There is an option to repair
> it, which fixes the mbr. I did it myself last week.

Okay I have tried that and its not worked.

Its still saying "Error loading operating system"

Aaron

Mick Murphy

Re: XP install clobered Vista
Apparently you have to try mbr repair a few times until it takes

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

And something for you to have a read of!

"Aaron Gray" wrote:

> "Schrodinger's cat" <martin@scotland.org> wrote in message
> > "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Okay I have the Vista DVD after all, phew, and the Vista C: partition
> >> looks fine from XP. How do I now reinstall the boot loader ?

> > Stick the Vista DVD in and boot up using it. There is an option to repair
> > it, which fixes the mbr. I did it myself last week.

> Okay I have tried that and its not worked.
>
> Its still saying "Error loading operating system"
>
> Aaron

Aaron Gray

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Aaron.
>
> You violated the Golden Rule of dual booting: Always install the newest
> operating system last. :>( The latest system's Setup file knows how to
> handle all the earlier ones. But WinXP's Setup has no idea what to do
> with Vista.
>
> If you had the Vista DVD, recovery would be pretty easy. Without it, it's
> still easy IF you have Vista's bootsect.exe file on your hard drive.
> WinXP will run this Vista program, but the file is not copied from the
> DVD's \boot folder to your hard drive by default. You must either run
> bootsect.exe from the DVD, or copy it to your hard drive and run it from
> there. If you don't have bootsect.exe, try here:
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>
> See this KB article:
> Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the
> Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529
>
> Unless you've overwritten it, you still have Vista's hidden \Boot folder
> on your system partition.

Hi,

I ran the automated recovery on the DVD, which I now have by some miracle,
but that did not work.

I ran 'bootsect.exe /nt60 C:' but that did not work either.

On attempt to boot it just says :-

'Error loading operating system'

which as far as I can remember from DOS days is a BIOS message.

Sorry I did not reply directly earlier, I was sidetracked as normal.

Aaron

Aaron Gray

"andy" <bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:08:24 -0000, "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
>>drive.

> Try using VistaBootPro <http://www.vistabootpro.org/>.

From XP it is saying the BCD Registery settings are either missing or
corrupt.