"Move" a retail Vista to another PC

Fredrik

"Move" a retail Vista to another PC
Hello,

I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to buy a
new, more updated system.

I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new one.
Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What should I
tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is viable?

In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries while
doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during studies,
but will move back to Sweden now.

For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I can
activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?

Thank you very much in advance!
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: "Move" a retail Vista to another PC
There is no deactivation for Windows.
Simply remove Windows from the first computer.
Worst case is you may have to call activation, usually less than a 10
minute call.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Fredrik" <Fredrik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to
> buy a
> new, more updated system.
>
> I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the
> new one.
> Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What
> should I
> tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is
> viable?
>
> In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between
> countries while
> doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during
> studies,
> but will move back to Sweden now.
>
> For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so
> I can
> activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

dzomlija

Fredrik;504028 Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to
> buy a new, more updated system.
>
> I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new
> one. Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What
> should I tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is
> viable?
>
> In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries
> while doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa
> during studies, but will move back to Sweden now.
>
> For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I
> can activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

If you plan on using your Vista DVD to do a clean install on the new
hardware, you shouldn't have a problem activating it, although you'll
probably end up having to speak to a human operator. The retail versions
of Vista can be moved from one pc to another at least once, and this is
what you'll end up having to explain to the operator.

Also, to prevent future activation problems on the new pc, you'll have
to totally remove the Vista installation from the old pc. The easiest
way to do that is to simply wipe the partitions from the hard drive.
Whoever you then give this old PC to will be responsible for installing
an OS.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007
Mick Murphy

RE: "Move" a retail Vista to another PC
If it is a full retail version of Vista, and did not come pre-installed on
the computer, you should have a Microsoft Vista DVD; and not an "OEM" DVD.

Just install it on the new computer

"Fredrik" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to buy a
> new, more updated system.
>
> I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new one.
> Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What should I
> tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is viable?
>
> In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries while
> doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during studies,
> but will move back to Sweden now.
>
> For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I can
> activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

Fredrik

Re: "Move" a retail Vista to another PC
Thank you for your reply!

Namaste,

/Fred

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> There is no deactivation for Windows.
> Simply remove Windows from the first computer.
> Worst case is you may have to call activation, usually less than a 10
> minute call.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

Fredrik

RE: "Move" a retail Vista to another PC
It is a full retail, seperatly bought boxed Vista. So no problems there.

I just want to make sure that it is not getting "void" by changing computer
completely! There are lots of stories about that, so I want to know from a
certified Microsoft source that it is possible.

/Fredrik

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> If it is a full retail version of Vista, and did not come pre-installed on
> the computer, you should have a Microsoft Vista DVD; and not an "OEM" DVD.
>
> Just install it on the new computer
>
> "Fredrik" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to buy a
> > new, more updated system.
> >
> > I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new one.
> > Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What should I
> > tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is viable?
> >
> > In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries while
> > doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during studies,
> > but will move back to Sweden now.
> >
> > For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I can
> > activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?
> >
> > Thank you very much in advance!

Rick Rogers

Re: "Move" a retail Vista to another PC
Hi Fredrik,

Just a bit of information, but this is not a "certified" source, this is a
peer to peer group, meaning that assistance comes from other users like
yourself. Official support comes directly from a Microsoft support
professional.

That said, you have been given the correct information regarding re-use of
your retail copy of Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> It is a full retail, seperatly bought boxed Vista. So no problems there.
>
> I just want to make sure that it is not getting "void" by changing
> computer
> completely! There are lots of stories about that, so I want to know from a
> certified Microsoft source that it is possible.
>
> /Fredrik
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> If it is a full retail version of Vista, and did not come pre-installed
>> on
>> the computer, you should have a Microsoft Vista DVD; and not an "OEM"
>> DVD.
>>
>> Just install it on the new computer
>>
>> "Fredrik" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to
>> > buy a
>> > new, more updated system.
>> >
>> > I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new
>> > one.
>> > Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What should
>> > tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is viable?
>> >
>> > In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries
>> > while
>> > doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during
>> > studies,
>> > but will move back to Sweden now.
>> >
>> > For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I
>> > can
>> > activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much in advance!

Mick Murphy

RE: "Move" a retail Vista to another PC
That will be fine.

"Fredrik" wrote:

> It is a full retail, seperatly bought boxed Vista. So no problems there.
>
> I just want to make sure that it is not getting "void" by changing computer
> completely! There are lots of stories about that, so I want to know from a
> certified Microsoft source that it is possible.
>
> /Fredrik
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > If it is a full retail version of Vista, and did not come pre-installed on
> > the computer, you should have a Microsoft Vista DVD; and not an "OEM" DVD.
> >
> > Just install it on the new computer
> >
> > "Fredrik" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to buy a
> > > new, more updated system.
> > >
> > > I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new one.
> > > Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system? What should I
> > > tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is viable?
> > >
> > > In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries while
> > > doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during studies,
> > > but will move back to Sweden now.
> > >
> > > For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I can
> > > activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much in advance!

Bruce Chambers

Fredrik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am selling my current computer with a retail Vista Home Premium to buy a
> new, more updated system.
>
> I want to remove Vista from my current system to install it on the new one.
> Will I have any difficulty to re-activate on my new system?

You shouldn't.

> What should I
> tell support, and can I get any reference to mention that it is viable?

What's wrong with just telling them the truth?

> In addition, will it cause trouble that I am moving between countries while
> doing this? The current computer I have used in South Africa during studies,
> but will move back to Sweden now.

That shouldn't make any difference; the locale just determines to which
activation server you connect, or presents the appropriate telephone
number(s) for telephone activation, should that be necessary.

> For my Adobe CS3 installation, I "de-activate my serial online", so I can
> activate it on another computer. Can I do the same with Vista?

No, there is no "de-activation," as such.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm