Installation Key

LuisRamos805

Installation Key
I bought Vista and installed it on my computer but then i had a hard drive
failure and i had to reinstall Vista from Scratch however now my cd key
doesnt work. It says "this copy of windows is not genuine" and that my cd key
is already in use. I need some help i dont want to buy a new cd key.
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Installation Key
No Need to buy anything.
Choose the option to activate by phone a call Microsoft at the
displayed number.
Usually done in less than 10 minutes.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"LuisRamos805" <LuisRamos805@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:87BC52C3-7B32-45C2-B00A-D150143429F6@microsoft.com...
>I bought Vista and installed it on my computer but then i had a hard
>drive
> failure and i had to reinstall Vista from Scratch however now my cd
> key
> doesnt work. It says "this copy of windows is not genuine" and that
> my cd key
> is already in use. I need some help i dont want to buy a new cd key.

dzomlija

Re: Installation Key

LuisRamos805;504004 Wrote:
> I bought Vista and installed it on my computer but then i had a hard
> drive failure and i had to reinstall Vista from Scratch however now my
> cd key doesnt work. It says "this copy of windows is not genuine" and
> that my cd key is already in use. I need some help i dont want to buy a
> new cd key.

Replacing the hard drive should not have done that. Replacing items
such as the motherboard, however, would.

You'll need to do activation by phone, and then explain to the operator
what happened and why you had to re-install Vista. You should be able to
activate then.

Unless, of course, your vista was not genuine to begin with. Sorry.

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007
Bruce Chambers

Re: Installation Key
dzomlija wrote:

> Replacing the hard drive should not have done that.

In and of itself, no. But the fact that the OP clearly stated that he
_re-installed_ the OS most definitely would have required a new activation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Bruce Chambers

Re: Installation Key
LuisRamos805 wrote:
> I bought Vista and installed it on my computer but then i had a hard drive
> failure and i had to reinstall Vista from Scratch however now my cd key
> doesnt work. It says "this copy of windows is not genuine" and that my cd key
> is already in use. I need some help i dont want to buy a new cd key.

It's in use by you, because of your initial Activation. Simply
follow the on-screen instructions to activate by telephone. Noi need to
buy anything.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
John Barnett MVP

RE: Installation Key
There is absolutely no need to buy another product key, simple use the
telephone activation option. See this link on my website:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/product...ady_in_use.htm
--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert