HELP!! SATA doesn't work!

Roscoe

HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
I have the Asus Maximus Formula mobo, 850 Watt PSU, 2Gig DDR2 RAM, Core 2
Quad @ 2.4, and 3 SATA Seagate Barracuda 250Gig HDDs. Now, I try to install
Windows Vista 64bit, and I get all the way to the 'choose where to install'
step. My 3 HDDs all show up, but I can't install on any one of them! I HAVE
THE SATA CONTROLLER INSTALLED on my mobo. I also have the BIOS set so that
the HDDs are the primary boot drives. I've tried everything I can think of,
and I can't get the OS to install! I ALWAYS GET STUCK on the 'choose where to
install Vista' option. I've tried partitioning the drives, setting them up as
a RAID... I'm at a loss. Someone help please!!!
Mick Murphy

RE: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
Disconnect the other 2 Drives. Install vista.
Connect StorageDrives later.

"Roscoe" wrote:

> I have the Asus Maximus Formula mobo, 850 Watt PSU, 2Gig DDR2 RAM, Core 2
> Quad @ 2.4, and 3 SATA Seagate Barracuda 250Gig HDDs. Now, I try to install
> Windows Vista 64bit, and I get all the way to the 'choose where to install'
> step. My 3 HDDs all show up, but I can't install on any one of them! I HAVE
> THE SATA CONTROLLER INSTALLED on my mobo. I also have the BIOS set so that
> the HDDs are the primary boot drives. I've tried everything I can think of,
> and I can't get the OS to install! I ALWAYS GET STUCK on the 'choose where to
> install Vista' option. I've tried partitioning the drives, setting them up as
> a RAID... I'm at a loss. Someone help please!!!

Roscoe

RE: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
No go. It wouldn't install... Still keep getting the 'Windows Vista could not
locate a suitable volume on this computer' message.
Again, it's Windows Vista 64bit and it's being ignorant. It's detecting the
HDD's I plug in, but then it's not letting me install Vista on said HDDs. It
shows all the correct information in the columns except for the file type,
it's blank (but since the disks are brand new, I guess that's right too).
Dominic Payer

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
Have you tried updating the BIOS? There have been 3 BIOS updates in the last
month.
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...imus%20Formula

And see
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...ngu age=en-us
This is a new board and you could be one of several with the same problem.
The forum suggests there is yet another BIOS available.
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

"Roscoe" <Roscoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No go. It wouldn't install... Still keep getting the 'Windows Vista could
> not
> locate a suitable volume on this computer' message.
> Again, it's Windows Vista 64bit and it's being ignorant. It's detecting
> the
> HDD's I plug in, but then it's not letting me install Vista on said HDDs.
> It
> shows all the correct information in the columns except for the file type,
> it's blank (but since the disks are brand new, I guess that's right too).

peter

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
and of course during the Vista 64 install you are loading the 64bit SATA
controller drivers??
peter
>I have the Asus Maximus Formula mobo, 850 Watt PSU, 2Gig DDR2 RAM, Core 2
> Quad @ 2.4, and 3 SATA Seagate Barracuda 250Gig HDDs. Now, I try to
> install
> Windows Vista 64bit, and I get all the way to the 'choose where to
> install'
> step. My 3 HDDs all show up, but I can't install on any one of them! I
> HAVE
> THE SATA CONTROLLER INSTALLED on my mobo. I also have the BIOS set so that
> the HDDs are the primary boot drives. I've tried everything I can think
> of,
> and I can't get the OS to install! I ALWAYS GET STUCK on the 'choose where
> install Vista' option. I've tried partitioning the drives, setting them up
> as
> a RAID... I'm at a loss. Someone help please!!!

Roscoe

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
Meh, according to ASUS, my mobo's Sata drivers SHOULD already support 64bit.
Of course, I'm gonna try installing 64bit Ubuntu and seeing what happens
later today. Wish me luck, and keep those answers rolling in :P
Noel

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
This might seem simple but, did you create a partition and format one of the
hard drives before trying to install vista.

"Roscoe" wrote:

> Meh, according to ASUS, my mobo's Sata drivers SHOULD already support 64bit.
> Of course, I'm gonna try installing 64bit Ubuntu and seeing what happens
> later today. Wish me luck, and keep those answers rolling in :P

andy

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:22:01 -0800, Roscoe
<Roscoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the Asus Maximus Formula mobo, 850 Watt PSU, 2Gig DDR2 RAM, Core 2
>Quad @ 2.4, and 3 SATA Seagate Barracuda 250Gig HDDs. Now, I try to install
>Windows Vista 64bit, and I get all the way to the 'choose where to install'
>step. My 3 HDDs all show up, but I can't install on any one of them! I HAVE
>THE SATA CONTROLLER INSTALLED on my mobo. I also have the BIOS set so that
>the HDDs are the primary boot drives. I've tried everything I can think of,
>and I can't get the OS to install! I ALWAYS GET STUCK on the 'choose where to
>install Vista' option. I've tried partitioning the drives, setting them up as
>a RAID... I'm at a loss. Someone help please!!!

So, are you able to partition and format the drive?
peter

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
It was not a question of support..it was a question of INSTALLING the
drivers during the Vista install routine!!
peter
> Meh, according to ASUS, my mobo's Sata drivers SHOULD already support
> 64bit.
> Of course, I'm gonna try installing 64bit Ubuntu and seeing what happens
> later today. Wish me luck, and keep those answers rolling in :P

cw823

Re: HELP!! SATA doesn't work!
He's right. Even if you're not installing onto a RAID array you still have
to load the drivers to install. You should be able to download them from
ASUS' website.

I love the other responses here.

A BIOS upgrade?
Not partitioning?

I guess anybody can "answer" questions here, huh?