Dual boot - remove one OS.

Marko

Dual boot - remove one OS.
Single HDD with two partitions:
With XP installed on drive C:\ and Vista on D:\, how can I get rid of XP on
C and change the Vista partion from D to C?
Jawade

Re: Dual boot - remove one OS.
In article <E9310DCB-FC7D-46D7-B800-F5B71D2F7F36@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=
<Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> Single HDD with two partitions:
> With XP installed on drive C:\ and Vista on D:\, how can I get rid of XP on
> C and change the Vista partion from D to C?

You cannot change your Vista from D: to C:, that will never work.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. De site is uitgebreid!
http://jawade.nl/ <<Met een mirror op http://jawade.web1000.com/>>
AJR

Re: Dual boot - remove one OS.
Vista, in a dual boot setup, installs boot files on "C" in additon to files
on "D". Removing XP will result in Vista being unbootable - however all may
not be lost - download VistaBootPro - check the documentation on making the
Vista partition bootable.

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Single HDD with two partitions:
> With XP installed on drive C:\ and Vista on D:\, how can I get rid of XP
> on
> C and change the Vista partion from D to C?

John Barnes

Re: Dual boot - remove one OS.
Vista installs the boot files on the 'system partition'. The only way to
get the boot files on the Vista partition would be to make that the active
partition before doing anything. A 'repair startup' after making the Vista
partition active using the install DVD should work fine. Some times it has
to be run more than one time.
If Vista sees itself as C when running, you can then delete the first
partition and add the space to the Vista partition using a third party
partition managing product such as BootItNG or Acronis.

In article <#SoLM00HIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, John Barnes <jbarnes@email.net> says...
> Vista installs the boot files on the 'system partition'. The only way to
> get the boot files on the Vista partition would be to make that the active
> partition before doing anything. A 'repair startup' after making the Vista
> partition active using the install DVD should work fine. Some times it has
> to be run more than one time.
> If Vista sees itself as C when running, you can then delete the first
> partition and add the space to the Vista partition using a third party
> partition managing product such as BootItNG or Acronis.

Since Vista is D: it is not possible to make it C:. The "D:\" is
arond the installation and the registry.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. De site is uitgebreid!
http://jawade.nl/ <<Met een mirror op http://jawade.web1000.com/>>
Bootmanager (+Vista), ClrMBR, DiskEditors, POP3lezer, Filebrowser,
Kalender (Agenda, Dagboek), Webtellers en IP-log, Linux-Diskeditor
John Barnes

Re: Dual boot - remove one OS.
If Vista sees itself as C, regardless of the DOS drive lettering, there will
be no problem. Drives are often lettered differently within each system
installed on the computer.

news:MPG.219963d3f920c9f49897c0@news.microsoft.com ...

In article <#qgWR69HIHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, John Barnes <jbarnes@email.net> says...
> If Vista sees itself as C, regardless of the DOS drive lettering, there will
> be no problem. Drives are often lettered differently within each system
> installed on the computer.

Of course, but he sayd it was D:.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. De site is uitgebreid!
http://jawade.nl/ <<Met een mirror op http://jawade.web1000.com/>>
Bootmanager (+Vista), ClrMBR, DiskEditors, POP3lezer, Filebrowser,
Kalender (Agenda, Dagboek), Webtellers en IP-log, Linux-Diskeditor
John Barnes

Re: Dual boot - remove one OS.
and I said if it was labeled C from within Vista. He didn't say where he
got his drive lettering from and many, if not most installations of Vista
end up with Vista labeling itself from within itself, so it is important to
determine where he got his lettering from.

"Jawade" <Henk_Jawade@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.21998f33c30245589897c1@news.microsoft.com ...
> In article <#qgWR69HIHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, John Barnes
> <jbarnes@email.net> says...
>> If Vista sees itself as C, regardless of the DOS drive lettering, there
>> will
>> be no problem. Drives are often lettered differently within each system
>> installed on the computer.

> Of course, but he sayd it was D:.
>
> --
> Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. De site is uitgebreid!
> http://jawade.nl/ <<Met een mirror op http://jawade.web1000.com/>>
> Bootmanager (+Vista), ClrMBR, DiskEditors, POP3lezer, Filebrowser,
> Kalender (Agenda, Dagboek), Webtellers en IP-log, Linux-Diskeditor

Marko

Re: Dual boot - remove one OS.
Thanks,
the fog is lifting.

In article <utY6z2HIIHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, John Barnes <jbarnes@email.net> says...
> and I said if it was labeled C from within Vista. He didn't say where he
> got his drive lettering from and many, if not most installations of Vista
> end up with Vista labeling itself from within itself, so it is important to
> determine where he got his lettering from.

If you setup Xp, and later Vista at a second partition, Xp has C:,
and Vista gets D: or another. The only way to give Vista a C: too,
is to hide XP. It's possible, yes, but in most cases it isnt.