how to do repair install with upgrade key

Gary Roach

how to do repair install with upgrade key
I have an installation of Vista Home Premium that is unbootable. It won't
even boot into safe mode. I want to do a repair install but I get the
message "to use the product key you entered, start the installation from
your existing version of Windows". Sadly I can't do this. If I could I
wouldn't need the repair! Please help me.

--
Gary Roach
ADB Services

Rick Rogers

Re: how to do repair install with upgrade key
Hi Gary,

This is a bit of a catch-22, as the only way around this problem is to
install twice. You will need to do one of the following:

a) Reinstall cleanly the original operating system that you upgraded, then
do the Vista upgrade.

b) Boot the system with the upgrade disk, do not enter a product key and
choose the appropriate version to install. Once it has completed, "upgrade"
it by inserting the disk into the running OS and rerun the installation,
this time using your supplied product key.

Please note, regardless of which path you take you will need to use the
phone activation method when the time comes as the product key will be
reported as being in use. You will need to get a rep on the line if the
automated phone activation sequence fails, just hold on when it does.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gary Roach" <jgroach@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I have an installation of Vista Home Premium that is unbootable. It won't
>even boot into safe mode. I want to do a repair install but I get the
>message "to use the product key you entered, start the installation from
>your existing version of Windows". Sadly I can't do this. If I could I
>wouldn't need the repair! Please help me.
>
> --
> Gary Roach
> ADB Services

Gary Roach

Re: how to do repair install with upgrade key
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize I could bypass the key entry step (I
learn so much when things fail!). I was curious to know what the versions of
Vista are that end in "N" (BusinessN and Home BasicN). Also, am I correct in
assuming that neither of your procedures preserves the original Windows
install? In other words, programs will have to be reinstalled? So there is
no way to do a repair install that preserves the old system under these
circumstances?

> Hi Gary,
>
> This is a bit of a catch-22, as the only way around this problem is to
> install twice. You will need to do one of the following:
>
> a) Reinstall cleanly the original operating system that you upgraded, then
> do the Vista upgrade.
>
> b) Boot the system with the upgrade disk, do not enter a product key and
> choose the appropriate version to install. Once it has completed,
> "upgrade" it by inserting the disk into the running OS and rerun the
> installation, this time using your supplied product key.
>
> Please note, regardless of which path you take you will need to use the
> phone activation method when the time comes as the product key will be
> reported as being in use. You will need to get a rep on the line if the
> automated phone activation sequence fails, just hold on when it does.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>I have an installation of Vista Home Premium that is unbootable. It won't
>>even boot into safe mode. I want to do a repair install but I get the
>>message "to use the product key you entered, start the installation from
>>your existing version of Windows". Sadly I can't do this. If I could I
>>wouldn't need the repair! Please help me.
>>
>> --
>> Gary Roach
>> ADB Services

Rick Rogers

Re: how to do repair install with upgrade key
Hi,

Correct, both scenarios are clean installs. Actually, with option (b) if you
don't format for system volume, the existing installation will be moved to a
windows.old folder from which you can recover data after completing the
installation. In both scenarios programs will need to be reinstalled from
their original installation media. Vista, unlike XP, does not offer a repair
installation (aka 'over the top') due to the manner in which it is
installed.

The "N" designations are for the European countries that require a version
of Windows without the media player being part of the base installation.

--

> Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize I could bypass the key entry step
> (I learn so much when things fail!). I was curious to know what the
> versions of Vista are that end in "N" (BusinessN and Home BasicN). Also,
> am I correct in assuming that neither of your procedures preserves the
> original Windows install? In other words, programs will have to be
> reinstalled? So there is no way to do a repair install that preserves the
> old system under these circumstances?

>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> This is a bit of a catch-22, as the only way around this problem is to
>> install twice. You will need to do one of the following:
>>
>> a) Reinstall cleanly the original operating system that you upgraded,
>> then do the Vista upgrade.
>>
>> b) Boot the system with the upgrade disk, do not enter a product key and
>> choose the appropriate version to install. Once it has completed,
>> "upgrade" it by inserting the disk into the running OS and rerun the
>> installation, this time using your supplied product key.
>>
>> Please note, regardless of which path you take you will need to use the
>> phone activation method when the time comes as the product key will be
>> reported as being in use. You will need to get a rep on the line if the
>> automated phone activation sequence fails, just hold on when it does.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>>I have an installation of Vista Home Premium that is unbootable. It won't
>>>even boot into safe mode. I want to do a repair install but I get the
>>>message "to use the product key you entered, start the installation from
>>>your existing version of Windows". Sadly I can't do this. If I could I
>>>wouldn't need the repair! Please help me.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary Roach
>>> ADB Services

AJR

Re: how to do repair install with upgrade key
Gary - You do not specify the steps you took in attempting the repair.
Primrly - did you boot from the Vista DVD and get the menu options -
rstartup repiar, system resgore and so forth?
?