Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :(

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-04-2007
Wally
 

Posts: n/a
windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :(
I was so happy that I wouldn't have to buy a backup program. I install vista
on C: programs on D: and documents on E:
All set to go and it wants to back up C: and D: or E: (cant remember).
I don't see an option.

This blows my backup plans. The whole reason vista is alone on C: is that it
is only 7 gigs and easy to backup to DVD. Well and any of the other drives
and we got 60 to 100 gigs to backup...ugh

What happened? I remember once a very basic backup was only C:.
But now I am making a backup with all basic programs installed and profiles
stored in My documents.
Is Vista seeing anything referenced/installed to another drive in the
registry and therefore, "well we have to back up that whole drive then too"

This sucks, I can't believe this isnt a problem for business owners, whom
backup is only available for (business/enterprise/ultimate)

am I missing something?
Thanks
Wally
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-04-2007
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :(
What you may be missing is that most business owners, and advanced home
users, have a dedicated backup program that affords many more options than
those allowed by Microsoft Backup.

Personally, I have "never" used any operating system supplied backup
program - and this goes back 15-16 years. When I first became a home
computer user, I realized that my data was important enough to maybe pay for
a real backup program. I can still access, and use, data I saved from 1992.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)



"Wally" <Wally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4A5258E1-F473-4BA2-B29D-FF3082BF5340@microsoft.com...
>I was so happy that I wouldn't have to buy a backup program. I install
>vista
> on C: programs on D: and documents on E:
> All set to go and it wants to back up C: and D: or E: (cant remember).
> I don't see an option.
>
> This blows my backup plans. The whole reason vista is alone on C: is that
> it
> is only 7 gigs and easy to backup to DVD. Well and any of the other drives
> and we got 60 to 100 gigs to backup...ugh
>
> What happened? I remember once a very basic backup was only C:.
> But now I am making a backup with all basic programs installed and
> profiles
> stored in My documents.
> Is Vista seeing anything referenced/installed to another drive in the
> registry and therefore, "well we have to back up that whole drive then
> too"
>
> This sucks, I can't believe this isnt a problem for business owners, whom
> backup is only available for (business/enterprise/ultimate)
>
> am I missing something?
> Thanks
> Wally


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2007
ramses
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :(

"Wally" <Wally@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
news:4A5258E1-F473-4BA2-B29D-FF3082BF5340@microsoft.com...
>I was so happy that I wouldn't have to buy a backup program. I install
>vista
> on C: programs on D: and documents on E:
> All set to go and it wants to back up C: and D: or E: (cant remember).
> I don't see an option.
>
> This blows my backup plans. The whole reason vista is alone on C: is that
> it
> is only 7 gigs and easy to backup to DVD. Well and any of the other drives
> and we got 60 to 100 gigs to backup...ugh
>
> What happened? I remember once a very basic backup was only C:.
> But now I am making a backup with all basic programs installed and
> profiles
> stored in My documents.
> Is Vista seeing anything referenced/installed to another drive in the
> registry and therefore, "well we have to back up that whole drive then
> too"
>
> This sucks, I can't believe this isnt a problem for business owners, whom
> backup is only available for (business/enterprise/ultimate)
>
> am I missing something?
> Thanks
> Wally


I have Vista Ultimate and made systembackups and filebackups on a external
USB-connected drive with no problems.
If you don't have Ultimate then you can only make filebackups.
I advise to get a external hardisk
Anyway it's only 100 $ or so for a 500 gig disk and you can make different
backups.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2007
Anteaus
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :(

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> What you may be missing is that most business owners, and advanced home
> users, have a dedicated backup program that affords many more options than
> those allowed by Microsoft Backup.


I take it you refer to the likes of Backup Exec or Arcserve, which are not
only phenomenally expensive, but are so complex that to operate them without
special training would be very difficult. They are also, in my experience,
not all that reliable, nor especially helpful in the event of disk failure.

It strikes me that backup IS a function which an OS should rightly perform,
as a successful backup may require 'understanding' of special filing-system
features which the writer of a third-party app may not have. Especially with
Vista. Yet, instead we have OS's which perform Internet browsing, media
playback, etc. which are rightly the job of third-party apps. Meanwhile,
backup is relegated to the 'also rans' category.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2007
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :(
Yes, I am referring to Backup Exec. I have been using it since version 1 -
up until about one year ago. They have always had a desktop version that was
in the $50 range. By carefully reading the "readme" files I knew when a new
version would not be compatible with my old backups. I therefore restored
all the old backups, uninstalled the old version of Backup Exec, installed
the newer version and then backed up again with the new version. I then
deleted the original files from the hard drive as I rarely needed them Yet
when I did need them I was easily able to pull what I wanted from the
backup.

I can still access files that I created in 1992 by doing this, even though
the original files have not resided on my hard drive for over a dozen years.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)



"Anteaus" <Anteaus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:72917735-2323-4F4C-A35F-C22398D74705@microsoft.com...
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> What you may be missing is that most business owners, and advanced home
>> users, have a dedicated backup program that affords many more options
>> than
>> those allowed by Microsoft Backup.

>
> I take it you refer to the likes of Backup Exec or Arcserve, which are not
> only phenomenally expensive, but are so complex that to operate them
> without
> special training would be very difficult. They are also, in my experience,
> not all that reliable, nor especially helpful in the event of disk
> failure.
>
> It strikes me that backup IS a function which an OS should rightly
> perform,
> as a successful backup may require 'understanding' of special
> filing-system
> features which the writer of a third-party app may not have. Especially
> with
> Vista. Yet, instead we have OS's which perform Internet browsing, media
> playback, etc. which are rightly the job of third-party apps. Meanwhile,
> backup is relegated to the 'also rans' category.
>
>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista _@dm1n microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 7 05-03-2008 06:17
windows Complete PC Backup backing up multiple drives :( Wally microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 11-05-2007 06:48
Backup & Restore Center - Backing up to multiple DVD's Dalton Windows Vista Ultimate 2 07-22-2007 13:06
Complete PC Backup of multiple OS - partial restore? =?Utf-8?B?RWR3aW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 5 03-13-2007 16:05
Backing up network drives with Vista =?Utf-8?B?bG9nYW5qNzEw?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 03:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:15.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120