RE: Installing Softwares designed for Windows XP

Ankur

RE: Installing Softwares designed for Windows XP
My problems are same. I'm planning to buy a new PC but for Vista I hesitate
to install because I am not sure whether Vista will support softwares meant
for previous Windows Edition. I have most trouble for adobe photoshop 7.0,
Acrobat Reader, Macromedia Flash, Sound Forge, Maya, Max etc....
Is anyone knowing its solution
Rick Rogers

Re: Installing Softwares designed for Windows XP
Hi,

The solution is to check with each program vendor for Vista-compatible
versions, or if there is a workaround for each. Most XP software will
install and run in Vista, just some needs to run in either compatibility
mode or has to run as admin. The problematic programs are those that use
device drivers, as these really need to be designed for running under Vista.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ankur" <Ankur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My problems are same. I'm planning to buy a new PC but for Vista I
> hesitate
> to install because I am not sure whether Vista will support softwares
> meant
> for previous Windows Edition. I have most trouble for adobe photoshop 7.0,
> Acrobat Reader, Macromedia Flash, Sound Forge, Maya, Max etc....
> Is anyone knowing its solution

Richard Urban

Re: Installing Softwares designed for Windows XP
Most/all Adobe products will have to be upgraded to the Vista version.
Intuit programs will have to be upgraded to the version designed for Vista.
If programmers took shortcuts with their Windows XP programs, and didn't
write their programs as per Microsoft recommended methods, the programs may
well be useless under Vista.

Check with the program manufacturer. In fact, check the manufacturers
support section for their user groups (if they have any). Many times a
company will tell you you "must" upgrade but you will find through the user
groups that an older version works fine with a couple of modifications or
work arounds. The company is just hoping you won't check that far.

A good example is Paint Shop Pro. Corel is pushing out their Vista
"compatible" version yet my copy (version 9) works just fine.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User