New Install Lock Up

removethis

New Install Lock Up
So I bought Vista back in Feb. I installed it on this system (32 bit)
and it's been running great ever since. I updated drivers as they come
out and such. So my boot up times have been pushing about 5 minutes so
I decided to reinstall Vista again (have a lot of useless crap on here)
and I installed it on another drive.

Well after the install my pc just randomly locks us for no apparent
reason. I installed all the updated drivers and it still just randomly
locks us. Sometime it takes a few minutes and sometimes it's just
instantly after windows boots. Since the only thing I've changed between
the installs from last Feb to now is the harddrive I tried another
harddrive and the same thing happens. I also tried installing 64bit
Vista and it locks up just as bad. I also tried unplugging all my usb
devices (printer, scanner, ipod, my mouse and keyboard are usb those
stayed plugged in) and still happens. I even did a memory check using
memtest86 and everything came out find with that.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I have a perfectly fine Vista
install (with exception of a lot of crap installed and long boot up
times, which is why i want a new install) that doesn't lock my pc up but
when I try a new one with a different drive it does. The lock up is
just that a lock up. Everything freezes and nothing response to
anything. No blue screen or anything.

My system is Quad Core Pc on a Nvidia i680 chipset with a Nvidia 8800GTX
and 4 gigs of memory. I also have a Xfi sound card. I'm installing this
on a 330gig seagate drive. My current drive that this is installed on
is a Seagate 160gig.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm just not sure what to do now.

Thanks for your help!
Ryan K
Mick Murphy

RE: New Install Lock Up
I think you had better LEARN how to install a system.

To install, remove ALL peripherals except monitor, Keyboard, Mouse.

You set the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD with your disk in it; reboot and DELETE
the old partition containing tha older version of Vista, then formatt, and
reinstall.

Your post is gibberish! Reading it, you have it installed on 3 hard drives.

It can be installed on 1 Drive at a time; LICENCE requirements

"removethis" <"ryan(removethis)" wrote:

> So I bought Vista back in Feb. I installed it on this system (32 bit)
> and it's been running great ever since. I updated drivers as they come
> out and such. So my boot up times have been pushing about 5 minutes so
> I decided to reinstall Vista again (have a lot of useless crap on here)
> and I installed it on another drive.
>
> Well after the install my pc just randomly locks us for no apparent
> reason. I installed all the updated drivers and it still just randomly
> locks us. Sometime it takes a few minutes and sometimes it's just
> instantly after windows boots. Since the only thing I've changed between
> the installs from last Feb to now is the harddrive I tried another
> harddrive and the same thing happens. I also tried installing 64bit
> Vista and it locks up just as bad. I also tried unplugging all my usb
> devices (printer, scanner, ipod, my mouse and keyboard are usb those
> stayed plugged in) and still happens. I even did a memory check using
> memtest86 and everything came out find with that.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I have a perfectly fine Vista
> install (with exception of a lot of crap installed and long boot up
> times, which is why i want a new install) that doesn't lock my pc up but
> when I try a new one with a different drive it does. The lock up is
> just that a lock up. Everything freezes and nothing response to
> anything. No blue screen or anything.
>
> My system is Quad Core Pc on a Nvidia i680 chipset with a Nvidia 8800GTX
> and 4 gigs of memory. I also have a Xfi sound card. I'm installing this
> on a 330gig seagate drive. My current drive that this is installed on
> is a Seagate 160gig.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm just not sure what to do now.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Ryan K

cw823

RE: New Install Lock Up
Mick. This is the third of your posts in which you act like a jerk. Relax,
you're here to help people, not judge them.

removing all peripherals as you suggested is pointless - they are not the
issue.

How much memory is the original poster running?