New Install, need data from old drive on same machine!

Ryan

New Install, need data from old drive on same machine!
Ok, so my old PC died and I went ahead and built a new one. I was running XP
Pro SP 2 on the old HD, installed Vista Ultimate to a new HD. Now, I have
both HD's running in the new box and need all of my programs off of the old
HD to run on the new one running Vista. Confused yet? I've tried this "easy
transfer" deal and that's not working since they're both on the same box. Any
ideas? Anything you can offer would be excellent
flyercan

Re: New Install, need data from old drive on same machine!
I am no expert, but I am pretty sure programs installed on the old hard drive
will never run on a new machine unless they get installed on the new windows.
The old drive is now just storage unless you install programs to it using
your now new windows platform. All you can do with the files on that drive
now is browse and recover doc, jpg, mpg etc files that are whole when alone.
Anything that had to be installed to be used are gone. Unless you have the
file that can be ran to install it to vista. Confused yet. It gets worse. LOL

Ryan wrote:
>Ok, so my old PC died and I went ahead and built a new one. I was running XP
>Pro SP 2 on the old HD, installed Vista Ultimate to a new HD. Now, I have
>both HD's running in the new box and need all of my programs off of the old
>HD to run on the new one running Vista. Confused yet? I've tried this "easy
>transfer" deal and that's not working since they're both on the same box. Any
>ideas? Anything you can offer would be excellent

Malke

flyercan wrote:
> I am no expert, but I am pretty sure programs installed on the old hard drive
> will never run on a new machine unless they get installed on the new windows.
> The old drive is now just storage unless you install programs to it using
> your now new windows platform. All you can do with the files on that drive
> now is browse and recover doc, jpg, mpg etc files that are whole when alone.
> Anything that had to be installed to be used are gone. Unless you have the
> file that can be ran to install it to vista. Confused yet. It gets worse. LOL
>
> Ryan wrote:
>> Ok, so my old PC died and I went ahead and built a new one. I was running XP
>> Pro SP 2 on the old HD, installed Vista Ultimate to a new HD. Now, I have
>> both HD's running in the new box and need all of my programs off of the old
>> HD to run on the new one running Vista. Confused yet? I've tried this "easy
>> transfer" deal and that's not working since they're both on the same box. Any
>> ideas? Anything you can offer would be excellent

Actually, there's nothing confusing about Flyercan's post. S/He is
absolutely correct. Programs need to be reinstalled from the
installation media - CD, DVD, installable executable downloaded from the
Internet. If Ryan wants to dual-boot with XP to use those programs, it's
going to be a difficult task. Because XP was installed on different
hardware, at the very least a Repair Install would need to be run; often
a Clean Install is necessary. Then Ryan would need to follow
instructions for installing XP after Vista (normally in a multiple-boot
scenario you install the older operating systems first and this would
not be the case here).

Install Windows XP On A Machine Already Running Windows Vista (MVP John
Barnett) -
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm

Unless the programs installed under XP will not run under Vista and are
crucial, the best thing for Ryan to do is exactly what Flyercan says -
retrieve any desired data and move it to his user account under Vista
and then format the second drive and use for storage.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Ryan

Re: New Install, need data from old drive on same machine!
Ok, all of that is understood, I assumed that would be the case. The question
I'm really asking is, How do you use Easy Transfer when both Computers are in
the same box?

"Malke" wrote:

> flyercan wrote:
> > I am no expert, but I am pretty sure programs installed on the old hard drive
> > will never run on a new machine unless they get installed on the new windows.
> > The old drive is now just storage unless you install programs to it using
> > your now new windows platform. All you can do with the files on that drive
> > now is browse and recover doc, jpg, mpg etc files that are whole when alone.
> > Anything that had to be installed to be used are gone. Unless you have the
> > file that can be ran to install it to vista. Confused yet. It gets worse. LOL
> >
> > Ryan wrote:
> >> Ok, so my old PC died and I went ahead and built a new one. I was running XP
> >> Pro SP 2 on the old HD, installed Vista Ultimate to a new HD. Now, I have
> >> both HD's running in the new box and need all of my programs off of the old
> >> HD to run on the new one running Vista. Confused yet? I've tried this "easy
> >> transfer" deal and that's not working since they're both on the same box. Any
> >> ideas? Anything you can offer would be excellent

> Actually, there's nothing confusing about Flyercan's post. S/He is
> absolutely correct. Programs need to be reinstalled from the
> installation media - CD, DVD, installable executable downloaded from the
> Internet. If Ryan wants to dual-boot with XP to use those programs, it's
> going to be a difficult task. Because XP was installed on different
> hardware, at the very least a Repair Install would need to be run; often
> a Clean Install is necessary. Then Ryan would need to follow
> instructions for installing XP after Vista (normally in a multiple-boot
> scenario you install the older operating systems first and this would
> not be the case here).
>
> Install Windows XP On A Machine Already Running Windows Vista (MVP John
> Barnett) -
> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm
>
> Unless the programs installed under XP will not run under Vista and are
> crucial, the best thing for Ryan to do is exactly what Flyercan says -
> retrieve any desired data and move it to his user account under Vista
> and then format the second drive and use for storage.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rick Rogers

Re: New Install, need data from old drive on same machine!
Hi,

The Easy Transfer Companion (for moving programs) has to be run from within
a working XP installation to export the needed migration files. Then it is
run from within Vista to import them. If you cannot boot the XP
installation, you cannot use this tool (or any other that I am aware of) to
move the programs, and will need to reinstall them from their original
installation media.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, all of that is understood, I assumed that would be the case. The
> question
> I'm really asking is, How do you use Easy Transfer when both Computers are
> in
> the same box?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> flyercan wrote:
>> > I am no expert, but I am pretty sure programs installed on the old hard
>> > drive
>> > will never run on a new machine unless they get installed on the new
>> > windows.
>> > The old drive is now just storage unless you install programs to it
>> > using
>> > your now new windows platform. All you can do with the files on that
>> > drive
>> > now is browse and recover doc, jpg, mpg etc files that are whole when
>> > alone.
>> > Anything that had to be installed to be used are gone. Unless you have
>> > the
>> > file that can be ran to install it to vista. Confused yet. It gets
>> > worse. LOL

>> Actually, there's nothing confusing about Flyercan's post. S/He is
>> absolutely correct. Programs need to be reinstalled from the
>> installation media - CD, DVD, installable executable downloaded from the
>> Internet. If Ryan wants to dual-boot with XP to use those programs, it's
>> going to be a difficult task. Because XP was installed on different
>> hardware, at the very least a Repair Install would need to be run; often
>> a Clean Install is necessary. Then Ryan would need to follow
>> instructions for installing XP after Vista (normally in a multiple-boot
>> scenario you install the older operating systems first and this would
>> not be the case here).
>>
>> Install Windows XP On A Machine Already Running Windows Vista (MVP John
>> Barnett) -
>> http://vistasupport.mvps.org/install...ning_vista.htm
>>
>> Unless the programs installed under XP will not run under Vista and are
>> crucial, the best thing for Ryan to do is exactly what Flyercan says -
>> retrieve any desired data and move it to his user account under Vista
>> and then format the second drive and use for storage.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Mick Murphy

Re: New Install, need data from old drive on same machine!
You can't!

You have the XP hard drive set up as a slave drive in the vista machine.
Just copy your Data from one drive to the other.