Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?

Marko

Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?
We have 2 machines, boty with XP and Vista dual boot.
On the one machine the OS I boot into always shows itself as being on C:\
and the other OS on D:\. In other words: When I boot into XP then XP is on C
drive and when I boot into Vista then Vista is on C drive.
On the second machine XP is ALWAYS on C:\ and Vista always on D:\
I like the idea of my OS always being on C:\ drive as that's what I'm used
to.
Is there a way to make the second machnine re-assign the drive letters
depending on which one I boot into without re-installing Vista??
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A4B2A73-039E-4061-8438-EBAA536D4482@microsoft.com...
> We have 2 machines, boty with XP and Vista dual boot.
> On the one machine the OS I boot into always shows itself as being on C:\
> and the other OS on D:\. In other words: When I boot into XP then XP is on C
> drive and when I boot into Vista then Vista is on C drive.
> On the second machine XP is ALWAYS on C:\ and Vista always on D:\
> I like the idea of my OS always being on C:\ drive as that's what I'm used to.
> Is there a way to make the second machnine re-assign the drive letters
> depending on which one I boot into without re-installing Vista??

Removable drive bays... one drive for each OS.

Paul Randall

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have 2 machines, boty with XP and Vista dual boot.
> On the one machine the OS I boot into always shows itself as being on C:\
> and the other OS on D:\. In other words: When I boot into XP then XP is on
> drive and when I boot into Vista then Vista is on C drive.
> On the second machine XP is ALWAYS on C:\ and Vista always on D:\
> I like the idea of my OS always being on C:\ drive as that's what I'm used
> to.
> Is there a way to make the second machnine re-assign the drive letters
> depending on which one I boot into without re-installing Vista??

On the machine that boots into both Vista and XP as drive C:, what drive
letter is assigned to the partition holding the other OS? Do you recall
installing a third party boot manager on this system?

-Paul Randall

Marko

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?
Can't do without reinstalling Vista.

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> Removable drive bays... one drive for each OS.

Marko

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?
The "other" OS is always on drive "D".

No third party boot manager installed.

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> On the machine that boots into both Vista and XP as drive C:, what drive
> letter is assigned to the partition holding the other OS? Do you recall
> installing a third party boot manager on this system?
>
> -Paul Randall

Paul Randall

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?
During boot-up, the BIOS typically determines how the partitions are
enumerated and how driver letters are assigned. A similar algorithm is used
for most BIOSs. If, during the boot-up process, you choose which drive to
boot into, then the active partition on that drive will be assigned the
letter C: (hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Older BIOSs did
not let you change the order in which hard drives would be checked for
active bootable partitions; it was often determined by where/how the drives
are connected to the motherboard (1st IDE connector vs. 2nd, master vs.
slave).

On this computer, how do you choose which OS it boots up into?

-Paul Randall

> The "other" OS is always on drive "D".
>
> No third party boot manager installed.
>
> "Paul Randall" wrote:
>

>> On the machine that boots into both Vista and XP as drive C:, what drive
>> letter is assigned to the partition holding the other OS? Do you recall
>> installing a third party boot manager on this system?
>>
>> -Paul Randall

dzomlija

Marko;502666 Wrote:
> The "other" OS is always on drive "D".
>
> No third party boot manager installed.

What you need to remember here is that the installation for Windows
Vista was started from within Windows XP, and was told to be installed
to drive D:. Its impossible to change this, as there are literally
1000's of entries in the registry that reference files pointing to D:,
and all the shortcuts.

Perhaps someone her can show you how to remove the Vista installation
safely, after which you'll need to start the Vista installation by
booting from the DVD. That way, when you start XP, it will be in the C:
and Vista will be D:. Starting to Vista will put Vista into C: and XP
into D:.

It sounds all confusing, so I apologise, but drive letters are really
assigned by the OS. The whole idea of the system being on C: is not all
too important any way, It's a throwback from the days where computers
had two floppy drives called A: and B:, and a C: hard disk was a luxury.
MSDOS hard-coded the requirement of the first hard disk to be the C: to
minimize its code base while all at the same time making it easier to
add a hard disk.

It seams as though we're finally getting out of the whole need to name
drives this way. Vista is the first OS I know of that has the option of
hiding the drive letters.

My real advice to you is this then. You can either reformat both your
drives and setup the dual-boot correctly by running the installers by
booting from the CD/DVD media, or you can do the same and install only
Vista (which will have the advantage of freing up the "XP" hard drive
for use with data).

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007
AJR

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?
What you are describing was a problem with earlier versions of Vista -
although "upsetting" it does not change performance of any programs
installed.

"Marko" <Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E99C5BB2-971D-451C-BF16-867B0F6D254B@microsoft.com...

> Can't do without reinstalling Vista.

Then I assume you're already past your 30 days or activated early.
You could activate a second time by telephone, or use the current
install of VISTA as C: on one of the future drives from a swappable
bay, and reload XP on the fresh drive. Just a thought........

> "David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

> > Removable drive bays... one drive for each OS.

Jawade

Re: Dual boot-active OS always on C drive?
In article <BC887738-BD7A-4853-A2DA-C5DA500B0CA5@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=
<Marko@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> The "other" OS is always on drive "D".
>
> No third party boot manager installed.

Hide the first partition, and reinstall Vista with a clean install.
It will be C:

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. De site is uitgebreid!
http://jawade.nl/ <<Met een mirror op http://jawade.web1000.com/>>