Legacy 95/98 Game - Magic Compatability

Platosbeard

Legacy 95/98 Game - Magic Compatability
I could not install Magic: the Gathering by MicroProse on my XP machine.. I
hoped things would be easier on my Vista machine. So far, no luck.
I have tried using properties/compatability tab on the set up file and the
resulting executable/application files.
I receive the pop-up box "Magic: the Duel has stoped working, Windows is
searching for a solution" which ends with a box that ends the app and says
that Windows will notify if a solution is found.
Please advise how I can play this great but old game on Vista; I hate to see
great legacy games die.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Legacy 95/98 Game - Magic Compatability
If it would not work under Windows XP then it's pretty much a safe bet that
it won't work under Vista.

"Platosbeard" <Platosbeard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I could not install Magic: the Gathering by MicroProse on my XP machine..
> hoped things would be easier on my Vista machine. So far, no luck.
> I have tried using properties/compatability tab on the set up file and the
> resulting executable/application files.
> I receive the pop-up box "Magic: the Duel has stoped working, Windows is
> searching for a solution" which ends with a box that ends the app and says
> that Windows will notify if a solution is found.
> Please advise how I can play this great but old game on Vista; I hate to
> see
> great legacy games die.

Rick Rogers

Re: Legacy 95/98 Game - Magic Compatability
Hi,

It's not likely to get better as requirements get more stringent, and while
there is compatibility built in to each new OS, it extends back only so far.
As we get farther from the Win9x line, compatibility will be less and less
for software of that era.

If you have a copy of Win95 or 98, you can use Virtual PC to create a
working installation of one of those OS's inside Vista, and install your
game into it. You can get Virtual PC for free here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Platosbeard" <Platosbeard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I could not install Magic: the Gathering by MicroProse on my XP machine..
> hoped things would be easier on my Vista machine. So far, no luck.
> I have tried using properties/compatability tab on the set up file and the
> resulting executable/application files.
> I receive the pop-up box "Magic: the Duel has stoped working, Windows is
> searching for a solution" which ends with a box that ends the app and says
> that Windows will notify if a solution is found.
> Please advise how I can play this great but old game on Vista; I hate to
> see
> great legacy games die.

Paul Randall

Re: Legacy 95/98 Game - Magic Compatability

"Platosbeard" <Platosbeard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I could not install Magic: the Gathering by MicroProse on my XP machine..
> hoped things would be easier on my Vista machine. So far, no luck.
> I have tried using properties/compatability tab on the set up file and the
> resulting executable/application files.
> I receive the pop-up box "Magic: the Duel has stoped working, Windows is
> searching for a solution" which ends with a box that ends the app and says
> that Windows will notify if a solution is found.
> Please advise how I can play this great but old game on Vista; I hate to
> see
> great legacy games die.

Hopefully someone will jump in here with well reasoned confirmation or
denial of my thoughts on the subject. I believe that every time you attempt
to install non-compatible software, whether it installs successfully or not,
you run the risk of planting a time bomb on your computer that can bite you
at any time in the future. Many, perhaps most legacy applications don't
have a potential to screw up your system, but some do. I don't have any
examples or proof -- it is just my gut feeling.

-Paul Randall