Ahhh....that's better.

3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina

Ahhh....that's better.
Sorry folks. I've gone back to XP. No more messing with One Care, System
Administrator, blocked programs, hardware that won't work, software that
won't open, Vista mail that's not compatible with OE6. and the list goes on.
I know, it's a big learning curve for the faint at heart. More secure? I
don't know. But wait until you see the size of Vista SP1. I'll sleep
better tonight. Well, maybe until the next time I install Vista.

Seth

Re: Ahhh....that's better.
"3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina" <3putt@PawleysIslandSC> wrote in message
> Sorry folks. I've gone back to XP. No more messing with One Care, System
> Administrator, blocked programs, hardware that won't work, software that
> won't open, Vista mail that's not compatible with OE6. and the list goes
> on. I know, it's a big learning curve for the faint at heart. More
> secure? I don't know. But wait until you see the size of Vista SP1.
> I'll sleep better tonight. Well, maybe until the next time I install
> Vista.

Yeah, SP1 is HUGE! In fact I'm opening a case with MS tomorrow as my
ImageX/SYSPREP'd RTM image is 1.9gb and doing the same thing with SP1
included generates an image of almost 4gb.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Ahhh....that's better.
SP-1 is still in Beta and a while until RTM, probably early next year.

As for the size?
What a computer needs depends on how many current updates are already
installed.

Perform a Clean Install of Windows Vista.
Check the size.
Install SP-1.
Check the size again.
The difference is the installed size.

Next check the size on a computer fully up to date with all updates
applied.
Then install SP-1.
Check the size again.

You will probably see the 2nd is much less than the first.
The actual size of the full download is deceptive at best since much
is not needed on a fully up to date computer.
Additionally some is used for the GUI etc and has nothing to do with
SP-1 once installed.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> SP-1 is still in Beta and a while until RTM, probably early next year.

Yeah, being in the beta program I'm pretty aware of the roadmap.

> As for the size?
> What a computer needs depends on how many current updates are already
> installed.
>
> Perform a Clean Install of Windows Vista.
> Check the size.
> Install SP-1.
> Check the size again.
> The difference is the installed size.
>
> Next check the size on a computer fully up to date with all updates
> applied.
> Then install SP-1.
> Check the size again.
>
> You will probably see the 2nd is much less than the first.
> The actual size of the full download is deceptive at best since much is
> not needed on a fully up to date computer.
> Additionally some is used for the GUI etc and has nothing to do with SP-1
> once installed.

I'm quite familiar with SPs, their contents, etc... Doubling the size of a
SYSPREP'd image from 2gig to 4 is hokey.