Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

Frank

Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration
I have tried several times to upgrade to Vista from XP. I get a message
"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation
cannot proceed".

I have tried using your suggestions to another user with the same problem
and it has not worked.

"Disable any boot time protection in the system BIOS, and uninstall any
active antivirus software in the existing system (note that I said
uninstall, not just disable). You can install a Vista compatible version
after the upgrade completes."

I uninstalled my anti-virus program (Windows Live OneCare) and I looked at
the BIOS settings but cannot see anything about boot time protection.

I have spent a lot of time getting nowhere. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+
processor on a Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO-SLI, nForce4 - SLI; Sckt 939 motherboard
currently running XP SP2 with all updates.

This OS is very expensive and I would like to get it installed without
spending hors and hours trying and failing.

usasma

RE: Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration
Have you run the Vista Upgrade Advisor?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx
That's the first step for any Vista installation.

Personally, I shy away from upgrade installs. IMO it'll just import XP
stuff into your Vista system - and Vista may not catch each and every one of
them (there's just too many different combinations of software and hardware
out there to be sure).

Rather, I'd suggest that you backup all of your files/data to removable
media, then try the Custom option for installing Vista. This'll give you a
fresh copy of Vista to work with - and it won't contain those unknown items
from XP that may trip you up.

After the custom install, ensure that you visit Windows Update, install
Vista compatible drivers for all of your devices, and download Vista
compatible programs (such as antivirus).

Good luck!

- John

"Frank" wrote:

> I have tried several times to upgrade to Vista from XP. I get a message
> "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation
> cannot proceed".
>
> I have tried using your suggestions to another user with the same problem
> and it has not worked.
>
> "Disable any boot time protection in the system BIOS, and uninstall any
> active antivirus software in the existing system (note that I said
> uninstall, not just disable). You can install a Vista compatible version
> after the upgrade completes."
>
> I uninstalled my anti-virus program (Windows Live OneCare) and I looked at
> the BIOS settings but cannot see anything about boot time protection.
>
> I have spent a lot of time getting nowhere. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+
> processor on a Gigabyte GA-K8NPRO-SLI, nForce4 - SLI; Sckt 939 motherboard
> currently running XP SP2 with all updates.
>
> This OS is very expensive and I would like to get it installed without
> spending hors and hours trying and failing.

Frank

RE: Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration
Advisor was the first thing I ran. Updated all drivers and got rid of the
software it said "might" not work properly. Guess I will have to try backing
up all the personal data and running a clean install. I just don't
understand why I have to jump through so many hoops when the software costs
as much as it does. It takes many hours reinstalling programs and updates.
Also, after reading some of these threads, I wonder if it's really worth it
to use Vista.