Export Vista mail to Outlook express?

3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina

Export Vista mail to Outlook express?
Can I export my Windows Mail (Vista) to another computer using XP? Or can
Windows Mail be installed on and XP machine now using Outlook Express?

Rick Rogers

Re: Export Vista mail to Outlook express?
Hi,

You can't install Windows Mail on XP, but if you use file/export/messages in
Windows Mail and save them in that format (as opposed to exchange), then
they save as .eml files which you should be able to import into XP's Outlook
Express.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"3Putt from CoastalSouth Carolina" <3putt@PawleysIslandSC> wrote in message
> Can I export my Windows Mail (Vista) to another computer using XP? Or can
> Windows Mail be installed on and XP machine now using Outlook Express?

allenm28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Revert to OE from Vista Mail
Everything I read implies that to bring mail back to outlook express I have to export each folders contents individually as "eml" files and then drag them from the storage folder back into the desired OutLook Express folder, on a folder by folder basis. I probably have 2000 emails stored in 100 folders. Isn't there any single shot way to move the mail up and back between Vista and XP Home?
Mick Murphy

Re: Export Vista mail to Outlook express?
In windows Mail, click on File > export messages.
Make the appropriate file, and copy to flash Drive.
In Outlook Express> click on Import

You don't say whether you are dual booting, networking, or what!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"allenm28" wrote:

> Everything I read implies that to bring mail back to outlook express I
> have to export each folders contents individually as "eml" files and
> then drag them from the storage folder back into the desired OutLook
> Express folder, on a folder by folder basis. I probably have 2000 emails
> stored in 100 folders. Isn't there any single shot way to move the mail
> up and back between Vista and XP Home?
>

> --
> allenm28

allenm28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Export Vista mail to Outlook Express
I am not dual booting. I will be moving all amll and address books between a Vista Desk Unit and a Laptop running XP. The Desk Unit is the main pc taht I will be doing all mail on unless I am traveling. Prior to traveling I want to copy all mail and contacts from the Vista unit to the XP Laptops. Upon return, I woudl delete all emails and address on the desk unit and re import from the laptop. Right now my desk unit has XP and all units are running Outlook Express so all I need to do is import to the desired machine. Hope this clarifies.
Nonny

Re: Export Vista mail to Outlook express?
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:37:54 +0100, allenm28
<allenm28.3ckmsd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>I am not dual booting. I will be moving all amll and address books
>between a Vista Desk Unit and a Laptop running XP. The Desk Unit is the
>main pc taht I will be doing all mail on unless I am traveling. Prior
>to traveling I want to copy all mail and contacts from the Vista unit to
>the XP Laptops. Upon return, I woudl delete all emails and address on
>the desk unit and re import from the laptop. Right now my desk unit has
>XP and all units are running Outlook Express so all I need to do is
>import to the desired machine. Hope this clarifies.

Let's see if we've got this straight:

You want to swap all your mail back and forth between two different
computers that are running two different operating systems and two
different email clients.

Right?

You DO know that Vista doesn't use Outlook Express, right? It uses
"Windows Mail" and I don't know if Outlook Express and Windows Mail
use the same system files.

If they don't, you will have to install and use the same client on
each machine. I do what you want to do, but I am using MS Outlook for
my mail on both machines.

allenm28 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mail between Vista and XP
I am aware that Vista uses a different client than XP. That is the crux of the issue. I think the answer may be to install Mozilla's Thunderbird on all machines. Does anyone have experience with Thunderbird?
Nonny

Re: Export Vista mail to Outlook express?
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:19:39 +0100, allenm28
<allenm28.3cloc2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>I am aware that Vista uses a different client than XP. That is the crux
>of the issue. I think the answer may be to install Mozilla's
>Thunderbird on all machines. Does anyone have experience with
>Thunderbird?

Try it for yourself and see if it does what you want. It's free, so
what's holding you back?