32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

jort84

32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Hey guys I really need some help here. Basically out of the blue none of
my 32 bit applications are able to access the internet such as Internet
Explorer, FireFox, Steam, etc... IE 64 does work.

This happened 2 days ago and I got frustrated and simply formatted and
reinstalled. Now today on this clean install I'm having the same issue!
:cry:

I've run numerous hardware test and have determined my hardware is not
at fault, I need help guys. How can I fix this what could have caused
this?

I have all released updates installed (through built-in windows update)
latest drivers for mobo/video/sound/network/etc...

I ran a sfc /scannow and that came back clean, did a check disk and it
says it fixed some file system problems but nothing changed with regards
to my problem.

System Specs:

Vista 64
A64 4600+
2GB DDR800
250GB Seagate SATA 3.0
Geforce 8800GTX
Using onboard nic card/sound.

--
jort84
brink

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

jort84;481526 Wrote:
> Hey guys I really need some help here. Basically out of the blue none of
> my 32 bit applications are able to access the internet such as Internet
> Explorer, FireFox, Steam, etc... IE 64 does work.
>
> This happened 2 days ago and I got frustrated and simply formatted and
> reinstalled. Now today on this clean install I'm having the same issue!
> :cry:
>
> I've run numerous hardware test and have determined my hardware is not
> at fault, I need help guys. How can I fix this what could have caused
> this?
>
> I have all released updates installed (through built-in windows update)
> latest drivers for mobo/video/sound/network/etc...
>
> I ran a sfc /scannow and that came back clean, did a check disk and it
> says it fixed some file system problems but nothing changed with regards
> to my problem.
>
> System Specs:
>
> Vista 64
> A64 4600+
> 2GB DDR800
> 250GB Seagate SATA 3.0
> Geforce 8800GTX
> Using onboard nic card/sound.

Hi Jort84,

This tutorial will show you how to fix the "Help and Support". Look at
the solution for, "The Windows Help (WinHlp32.exe) program is no longer
included in Windows".

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/87...ort-vista.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
brink

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Hi Ricebus,

You might try Resetting IE7 to see if it will help you. You may have a
add-on in IE7 that is causing it to not work properly. When you are done
resetting, you can enable the add-ons one by one until you find out
which one is causing the problem.

In IE7:
1. Click *Tools* - *Internet Options*
2. Click *Advanced*
3. Click *Reset*

To Enable/Disable the add-ons one by one:
1. Click *Tools* - *Manage Add-ons* - *Enable or Disable Add-ons*
2. Under *Show*, change this to see the other listings of add-ons.
3. Just dot *Enable* or *Disable* at the bottom.

For the other 32 bit programs, you might try running them in
Compatibility Mode with *XP (SP2)* to see if they will run better. This
tutorial will show you how.

'*How to Use Compatibilty Mode in Vista*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...lity-mode.html)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
ricebus

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Resetting didn't really help, nor did compatibility mode.

Any other ideas?

--
ricebus
brink

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Well Ricebus,

I would tell you to do a clean install to fix the problem, but you said
you already did that. Since it is happening when you do a Windows
Update, I would uninstall that update that you suspect is causing the
problem. Once you have it narrowed down to the one(s) that is causing
this, I would hide the update so it will not show up in Windows Update
anymore. These tutorials will show you how.

'*How to Uninstall a Windows Update in Vista*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/92...uninstall.html)

'*How to Hide or Unhide a Windows Update in Vista*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72...ws-update.html)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
ricebus

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Uhm brink, I used system restore to reverse the effect of the updates
and the problem still exists, so I think it I already tried uninstalling
the updates :\

--
ricebus
brink

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

System Restore should have removed it, but you might double check to see
if the Update is listed or not to make sure it is uninstalled. See the
Uninstall link above for how to see the list.

I do not know what else to try.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
fionny

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Seems i had the exact same problem as above and sure enough it was a
windows update that caused all the hassle. I suggest you avoide this
update

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB929777)
Download size: 114 KB

Cheers Guys, hope it helps.

Fionny

--
fionny
fionny

Re: 32 bit programs can not access internet HELP!

Ok seems i was wrong on it being the virus i had picked up, found the
solution on another forum somewhere when the problem re-occured for me.

NOD32 seems to be the culprit, turn of http checking in the IMON module
job done not sure if this will cure the problem if its already
manifested itself but if it hasnt it should prevent it, at least it
hasnt come back at me again yet thank god.

Regards,
Fionn

--
fionny