System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation

JEFF

System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
"expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off my
PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a suggestion?
--
El Jeffe
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
Take out one stick of RAM and see if that helps. Also check at the MSI site
that you have the latest BIOS update.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"JEFF" <JEFF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
> VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
> TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
> "expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off
> my
> PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a
> suggestion?
> --
> El Jeffe

Mick Murphy

RE: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
HOW are you trying to install it?

"JEFF" wrote:

> I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
> VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
> TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
> "expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off my
> PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a suggestion?
> --
> El Jeffe

JEFF

RE: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
Mick, I am using my Plextor PX7555A DVD writer to install it via the Vista
DVD. What is interesting is that it totally shuts off my system each time. No
crash, no message, just - boom - system is off. I have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI
card that hosts an additional hard drive that I am not using for the install
- it is my data drive. So far, I've tried installing it onto both of my SATA
drives with the same result. I also tried using my Plextor PX-716A DVD writer
as the drive for the Vista DVD and it also crashed that way. I'm going to
remove the SCSI card next and see if that helps, as well as one of the sticks
of RAM per the next suggestion in the string. I've tried changing RAM timing
in my BIOS to manual using the Corsair specs and back again to auto, with
slightly different results - it takes a little more or a little less time to
crash depending on what the RAM settings are. I've got a BIOS that is one of
the later releases, but haven't updated it in a couple of months, so I'll try
that, too. Any other ideas?
--
El Jeffe

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> HOW are you trying to install it?
>
> "JEFF" wrote:
>
> > I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
> > VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
> > TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
> > "expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off my
> > PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a suggestion?
> > --
> > El Jeffe

JEFF

Re: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
See my earlier thread for what I'll try next. I'll check the BIOS first, but
it is pretty recent.
--
El Jeffe

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Take out one stick of RAM and see if that helps. Also check at the MSI site
> that you have the latest BIOS update.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "JEFF" <JEFF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
> > VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
> > TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
> > "expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off
> > my
> > PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a
> > suggestion?
> > --
> > El Jeffe

Mick Murphy

RE: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
Jeff, what I meant was whether it was a DVD Drive reboot clean install or what!

I gather it is a clean install; you still don't say that!!!!!!

Leave both sticks of RAM in.

If clean install disconnect all peripherals(you can install them
laterrinters, cameras, external hard drives etc.)

And I would disconnect all hard drives except the one you want to install
Vista on.

Also. get a copy of the SATA Drivers on memory stick to install during
vista installation. Others here have also mentioned hitting F6 to install
them.

Hope it helps.

"JEFF" wrote:

> Mick, I am using my Plextor PX7555A DVD writer to install it via the Vista
> DVD. What is interesting is that it totally shuts off my system each time. No
> crash, no message, just - boom - system is off. I have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI
> card that hosts an additional hard drive that I am not using for the install
> - it is my data drive. So far, I've tried installing it onto both of my SATA
> drives with the same result. I also tried using my Plextor PX-716A DVD writer
> as the drive for the Vista DVD and it also crashed that way. I'm going to
> remove the SCSI card next and see if that helps, as well as one of the sticks
> of RAM per the next suggestion in the string. I've tried changing RAM timing
> in my BIOS to manual using the Corsair specs and back again to auto, with
> slightly different results - it takes a little more or a little less time to
> crash depending on what the RAM settings are. I've got a BIOS that is one of
> the later releases, but haven't updated it in a couple of months, so I'll try
> that, too. Any other ideas?
> --
> El Jeffe
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > HOW are you trying to install it?
> >
> > "JEFF" wrote:
> >
> > > I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
> > > VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
> > > TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
> > > "expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off my
> > > PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a suggestion?
> > > --
> > > El Jeffe

JEFF

RE: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
It's a DVD drive reboot clean install. i'll disconnect all the drives except
the one Sata, but my memory stick is at work so I don't have it here. I do
have an external SATA drive I can hook up or leave one extra SATA drive in
that has the drivers, but that's all I can do now. You'd think Vista would
have the necessary drivers for a SATA drive I just bought, for Pete's sake!
This OS has been around for 10 months - you'd think they'd have stuff like
that sorted out by now. I already have disconnected everything but the
keyboard and mouse with no luck and updated the BIOS, so that didn't help.
--
El Jeffe

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Jeff, what I meant was whether it was a DVD Drive reboot clean install or what!
>
> I gather it is a clean install; you still don't say that!!!!!!
>
> Leave both sticks of RAM in.
>
> If clean install disconnect all peripherals(you can install them
> laterrinters, cameras, external hard drives etc.)
>
> And I would disconnect all hard drives except the one you want to install
> Vista on.
>
> Also. get a copy of the SATA Drivers on memory stick to install during
> vista installation. Others here have also mentioned hitting F6 to install
> them.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> "JEFF" wrote:
>
> > Mick, I am using my Plextor PX7555A DVD writer to install it via the Vista
> > DVD. What is interesting is that it totally shuts off my system each time. No
> > crash, no message, just - boom - system is off. I have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI
> > card that hosts an additional hard drive that I am not using for the install
> > - it is my data drive. So far, I've tried installing it onto both of my SATA
> > drives with the same result. I also tried using my Plextor PX-716A DVD writer
> > as the drive for the Vista DVD and it also crashed that way. I'm going to
> > remove the SCSI card next and see if that helps, as well as one of the sticks
> > of RAM per the next suggestion in the string. I've tried changing RAM timing
> > in my BIOS to manual using the Corsair specs and back again to auto, with
> > slightly different results - it takes a little more or a little less time to
> > crash depending on what the RAM settings are. I've got a BIOS that is one of
> > the later releases, but haven't updated it in a couple of months, so I'll try
> > that, too. Any other ideas?
> > --
> > El Jeffe
> >

> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > HOW are you trying to install it?

JEFF

RE: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
Mick, I stripped the system down to one hard drive, one DVD drive, one stick
of RAM, took out the sound card, essentially, it was in its bra and panties,
and I still have the same crash. I had already downloaded the updated MSI IDE
drivers, and when I am loading Vista and it gives me the option to load
drivers, I select the install hard drive and click load drivers, but Vista
says there are no matching drivers in the directory. Can you give me any
additional pointers? I think I've done everything possible - you can't
simplify the system more than I did. Is it possible that the Vista DVD is
defective? If so, what can I do to get it replaced. Maybe you could e-mail me
the SATA drivers that you think might work for my motherboard to
eljeffe59@suddenlink.net. the ones I downloaded from MSI didn't seem to match
anything.
--
El Jeffe

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Jeff, what I meant was whether it was a DVD Drive reboot clean install or what!
>
> I gather it is a clean install; you still don't say that!!!!!!
>
> Leave both sticks of RAM in.
>
> If clean install disconnect all peripherals(you can install them
> laterrinters, cameras, external hard drives etc.)
>
> And I would disconnect all hard drives except the one you want to install
> Vista on.
>
> Also. get a copy of the SATA Drivers on memory stick to install during
> vista installation. Others here have also mentioned hitting F6 to install
> them.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> "JEFF" wrote:
>
> > Mick, I am using my Plextor PX7555A DVD writer to install it via the Vista
> > DVD. What is interesting is that it totally shuts off my system each time. No
> > crash, no message, just - boom - system is off. I have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI
> > card that hosts an additional hard drive that I am not using for the install
> > - it is my data drive. So far, I've tried installing it onto both of my SATA
> > drives with the same result. I also tried using my Plextor PX-716A DVD writer
> > as the drive for the Vista DVD and it also crashed that way. I'm going to
> > remove the SCSI card next and see if that helps, as well as one of the sticks
> > of RAM per the next suggestion in the string. I've tried changing RAM timing
> > in my BIOS to manual using the Corsair specs and back again to auto, with
> > slightly different results - it takes a little more or a little less time to
> > crash depending on what the RAM settings are. I've got a BIOS that is one of
> > the later releases, but haven't updated it in a couple of months, so I'll try
> > that, too. Any other ideas?
> > --
> > El Jeffe
> >

> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > HOW are you trying to install it?

JEFF

Re: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
Cari, any other suggestions? I tried everything described with the exact same
results.
--
El Jeffe

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Take out one stick of RAM and see if that helps. Also check at the MSI site
> that you have the latest BIOS update.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "JEFF" <JEFF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an MSI K9N SLI PLATINUM MB, MSI NX7300 LE (NVIDIA GEOFORCE 7300LE)
> > VIDEO CARD, ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE 6000+ processor with 2 GB CORSAIR
> > TWINX2048-6400 C4 RAM. I am unable to install Vista. When it is in the
> > "expanding" mode of installation, after about 30 sec, it simply turns off
> > my
> > PC. I have tried 5X and get the same result. Can anybody make a
> > suggestion?
> > --
> > El Jeffe

el jeffe

RE: System crash during Vista Home Premium 64 installation
I am still having the problem after contacting MSI and getting a special BIOS
update that did not help. Is there a Vista support number I can call? I'm
wondering if I have a defective copy of Vista that can be replaced.