installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?

hclarkjr

installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?

i recently bought a second 500GB hard dirve and upon installing it vista
would not boot. i got system disk error and it tried to boot to cd-rom
and when it did not find the system disk it asked for it. once i
installed that it started the install process for vista. why did this
happen?

--
hclarkjr

Antec P180, Viewsonic VG2230wm widescreen, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI, AMD
A64 FX-60 , 2 X 1GB PC3200 OCZ EL PLATINUM memory, Sapphire Radeon
X1800XT,Liteon SOHC-5236V COMBO drive,Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW,Plextor
PX-755SA DVD-RW, Western Digital 500 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA 3.0 hard
drive, Maxtor 250 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA hard drive, OCZ model 520ADJ
power supply
f/fgeorge

Re: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:54:19 -0500, hclarkjr
<hclarkjr.2yer9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>i recently bought a second 500GB hard dirve and upon installing it vista
>would not boot. i got system disk error and it tried to boot to cd-rom
>and when it did not find the system disk it asked for it. once i
>installed that it started the install process for vista. why did this
>happen?

Did you buy a SATA or PIDE drive? I just added a 500gig SATA drive to
my wifes Vista machine and it worked fine. It took FOREVER to format
the drive, but it works fine. If SATA did you physically install it,
then go to Windows Explorer and do a right click on it and tell the
system to partition and then format it? If it is the older PIDE(IDE)
type did you set the jumpers correctly?
hclarkjr

Re: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?

it is sata 3.0 same as the first drive, and i never got to windows. upon
installing the drive i got the error message i posted about

--
hclarkjr

Antec P180, Viewsonic VG2230wm widescreen, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI, AMD
A64 FX-60 , 2 X 1GB PC3200 OCZ EL PLATINUM memory, Sapphire Radeon
X1800XT,Liteon SOHC-5236V COMBO drive,Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW,Plextor
PX-755SA DVD-RW, 2 - Western Digital 500 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA 3.0 hard
drive, OCZ model 520ADJ power supply
Mick Murphy

RE: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?
Did you set itup to be the Slave Drive, not a Master Drive.

"hclarkjr" wrote:

> i recently bought a second 500GB hard dirve and upon installing it vista
> would not boot. i got system disk error and it tried to boot to cd-rom
> and when it did not find the system disk it asked for it. once i
> installed that it started the install process for vista. why did this
> happen?
>

> --
> hclarkjr
>
> Antec P180, Viewsonic VG2230wm widescreen, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI, AMD
> A64 FX-60 , 2 X 1GB PC3200 OCZ EL PLATINUM memory, Sapphire Radeon
> X1800XT,Liteon SOHC-5236V COMBO drive,Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW,Plextor
> PX-755SA DVD-RW, Western Digital 500 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA 3.0 hard
> drive, Maxtor 250 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA hard drive, OCZ model 520ADJ
> power supply

Sam

Re: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:34:32 -0500, hclarkjr
<hclarkjr.2yetdc@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>it is sata 3.0 same as the first drive, and i never got to windows. upon
>installing the drive i got the error message i posted about

Check you BIOS settings. First, be sure that both drives are recognized.
If not, you may have loosened the cable for your old drive when you put
in the new one.

A second possibility is, that it might be seeing the new drive as
Drive-0 (HD0) and your old one as Drive-1 (HD1). If so, it may be trying
to boot from HD0, which is your new drive. There are two ways that may
fix this. Try to reverse the cables on your motherboard, to be sure
that your old drive is SATA1, and making your new one as SATA2. Or, if
your BIOS allows, change the boot drive to what your old drive is set at
(in the example above: HD1).

Sam
hclarkjr

Re: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?

both were seen at startup, i believe it is as sam said above about being
seen as HD0 and HD1. i have windows installed now, i was just wondering
what caused this. thank you all for replying

--
hclarkjr

Antec P180, Viewsonic VG2230wm widescreen, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI, AMD
A64 FX-60 , 2 X 1GB PC3200 OCZ EL PLATINUM memory, Sapphire Radeon
X1800XT,Liteon SOHC-5236V COMBO drive,Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW,Plextor
PX-755SA DVD-RW, 2 - Western Digital 500 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA 3.0 hard
drive, OCZ model 520ADJ power supply
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?
Check the jumper settings of the drives.
Often when there is one drive, it is jumpered as the only drive.
Adding a 2nd drive also has to be jumpered accordingly.
It is possible both are wrong for 2 drive configuration.

Check the manual for each drive, as they may be different even if from
the same manufacturer.
Drive specifications and jumper settings are usually available on the
manufacturers web site.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"hclarkjr" <hclarkjr.2yer9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> i recently bought a second 500GB hard dirve and upon installing it
> vista
> would not boot. i got system disk error and it tried to boot to
> cd-rom
> and when it did not find the system disk it asked for it. once i
> installed that it started the install process for vista. why did
> this
> happen?
>

> --
> hclarkjr
>
> Antec P180, Viewsonic VG2230wm widescreen, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI,
> AMD
> A64 FX-60 , 2 X 1GB PC3200 OCZ EL PLATINUM memory, Sapphire Radeon
> X1800XT,Liteon SOHC-5236V COMBO drive,Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW,Plextor
> PX-755SA DVD-RW, Western Digital 500 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA 3.0 hard
> drive, Maxtor 250 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA hard drive, OCZ model 520ADJ
> power supply

Andy

Re: installed new hard dirve, had to reinstall vista. why?
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:54:19 -0500, hclarkjr
<hclarkjr.2yer9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>i recently bought a second 500GB hard dirve and upon installing it vista
>would not boot. i got system disk error and it tried to boot to cd-rom
>and when it did not find the system disk it asked for it. once i
>installed that it started the install process for vista. why did this
>happen?

Most likely the addition of the second drive caused the drive order to
change in the BIOS setup Hard Disk Boot Priority setting, resulting in
the BIOS booting from the wrong disk.
Michael Palumbo

Re: installed new hard drive, had to reinstall vista. why?

> Check the jumper settings of the drives.
> Often when there is one drive, it is jumpered as the only drive.
> Adding a 2nd drive also has to be jumpered accordingly.
> It is possible both are wrong for 2 drive configuration.
>
> Check the manual for each drive, as they may be different even if from the
> same manufacturer.
> Drive specifications and jumper settings are usually available on the
> manufacturers web site.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "hclarkjr" <hclarkjr.2yer9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> i recently bought a second 500GB hard dirve and upon installing it vista
>> would not boot. i got system disk error and it tried to boot to cd-rom
>> and when it did not find the system disk it asked for it. once i
>> installed that it started the install process for vista. why did this
>> happen?
>>

>> --
>> hclarkjr
>>
>> Antec P180, Viewsonic VG2230wm widescreen, Gigabyte GA-K8N PRO-SLI, AMD
>> A64 FX-60 , 2 X 1GB PC3200 OCZ EL PLATINUM memory, Sapphire Radeon
>> X1800XT,Liteon SOHC-5236V COMBO drive,Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW,Plextor
>> PX-755SA DVD-RW, Western Digital 500 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA 3.0 hard
>> drive, Maxtor 250 GIG 16 MEG cache SATA hard drive, OCZ model 520ADJ
>> power supply

Andy is most likely correct (see reply below the post I'm replying too). I
just want to point out to Jupiter; not enough information was given before
you made your reply.

You assumed he was using PATA drives and suggested checking the jumpers, and
that's good advice, had he been using PATA drives.

AFTER your post he indicated (after being asked) that he is using SATA
drives, so your advice would simply serve to confuse most novices as
typically there are no jumpers on SATA drives . . . save for the drives that
can be configured for 1.5 or 3.0 for compatibility . . . since there is no
slave/master relationship as no cable-sharing is possible (or needed) with
SATA.

Just thought I'd remind you; it's good to have all of the information before
making suggestions. :-)

Mic