installation help!

DMD31842

installation help!
I am upgrading my desktop (XP) to Vista Ultimate. The updrade went
well until the end when it restarted I get a black screen saying
something like it failed to start because of a change and gives me the
choice of normal start up, start in safe mode, start with networking,
etc. I tried normal start, I tried taking the installation CD out and
putting it back, etc., etc and could not get the computer to start! I
am now rolling back the computer to XP.
Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft Interactive
Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
Windows Messenger.
When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
listed are:
Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
Microsoft Interactive Training
Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
Dell Media Experience
Nortel Extranet Access Client
Windows Messenger 5.1
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
wheelman

RE: installation help!
did you try booting from the vista cd..couldnt understand..if it finished
installing all the way..i had something like that happen one time,,i had to
just do another complete reinstall..there are so many things that can
happen..when we are upgradeing or doing a full install..you think you are
there and then its not..

"DMD31842" wrote:

> I am upgrading my desktop (XP) to Vista Ultimate. The updrade went
> well until the end when it restarted I get a black screen saying
> something like it failed to start because of a change and gives me the
> choice of normal start up, start in safe mode, start with networking,
> etc. I tried normal start, I tried taking the installation CD out and
> putting it back, etc., etc and could not get the computer to start! I
> am now rolling back the computer to XP.
> Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft Interactive
> Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
> Windows Messenger.
> When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
> listed are:
> Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
> Microsoft Interactive Training
> Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
> Dell Media Experience
> Nortel Extranet Access Client
> Windows Messenger 5.1
> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

DMD31842

RE: installation help!
No - Can you explain EXACTLY what you mean by "booting from CD". How do I do
that and do I do it after I go as far in the installation as I can? I am back
to XP and will have to start from the beginning. Thanks, David

"wheelman" wrote:

> did you try booting from the vista cd..couldnt understand..if it finished
> installing all the way..i had something like that happen one time,,i had to
> just do another complete reinstall..there are so many things that can
> happen..when we are upgradeing or doing a full install..you think you are
> there and then its not..
>
> "DMD31842" wrote:
>
> > I am upgrading my desktop (XP) to Vista Ultimate. The updrade went
> > well until the end when it restarted I get a black screen saying
> > something like it failed to start because of a change and gives me the
> > choice of normal start up, start in safe mode, start with networking,
> > etc. I tried normal start, I tried taking the installation CD out and
> > putting it back, etc., etc and could not get the computer to start! I
> > am now rolling back the computer to XP.
> > Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft Interactive
> > Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
> > Windows Messenger.
> > When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
> > listed are:
> > Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
> > Microsoft Interactive Training
> > Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
> > Dell Media Experience
> > Nortel Extranet Access Client
> > Windows Messenger 5.1
> > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Mick Murphy

RE: installation help!
What are the exact hardware specifications of your computer?
If you are getting hardware compatibility problems from the Advisor, you
won't be able to install.

"DMD31842" wrote:

> I am upgrading my desktop (XP) to Vista Ultimate. The updrade went
> well until the end when it restarted I get a black screen saying
> something like it failed to start because of a change and gives me the
> choice of normal start up, start in safe mode, start with networking,
> etc. I tried normal start, I tried taking the installation CD out and
> putting it back, etc., etc and could not get the computer to start! I
> am now rolling back the computer to XP.
> Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft Interactive
> Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
> Windows Messenger.
> When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
> listed are:
> Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
> Microsoft Interactive Training
> Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
> Dell Media Experience
> Nortel Extranet Access Client
> Windows Messenger 5.1
> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

davey

RE: installation help!
heyy i just got this new computer....it was built for me the vista advisor
says its compatible and nothings wrong....so i installed vista premium as the
advisor suggested then on reboot...i get a black screen sayin to restart in
safe mode or roll back to earlier edition...i cant understand why it wont
work...helpppppppppppp

DMD31842

RE: installation help!
That is EXACTLY my problem. The Vista Advisor says it is OK except for what
I wrote earlier - Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft

"davey" wrote:

> heyy i just got this new computer....it was built for me the vista advisor
> says its compatible and nothings wrong....so i installed vista premium as the
> advisor suggested then on reboot...i get a black screen sayin to restart in
> safe mode or roll back to earlier edition...i cant understand why it wont
> work...helpppppppppppp

davey

RE: installation help!
the only thing it picked up on mine was messenger 5.1 but said the programm
would still run so i cant see why vista doesnt start up on re boot it worked
fine on the laptop i had before but its not workin on here,if anyone knows
wot to do helppppp

"DMD31842" wrote:

> That is EXACTLY my problem. The Vista Advisor says it is OK except for what
> I wrote earlier - Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft
> Interactive
> Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
> Windows Messenger.
> When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
> listed are:
> Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
> Microsoft Interactive Training
> Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
> Dell Media Experience
> Nortel Extranet Access Client
> Windows Messenger 5.1
>

> "davey" wrote:
>
> > heyy i just got this new computer....it was built for me the vista advisor
> > says its compatible and nothings wrong....so i installed vista premium as the
> > advisor suggested then on reboot...i get a black screen sayin to restart in
> > safe mode or roll back to earlier edition...i cant understand why it wont
> > work...helpppppppppppp

DMD31842

RE: installation help!
Let's hope someone answers this and helps us both!

"davey" wrote:

> the only thing it picked up on mine was messenger 5.1 but said the programm
> would still run so i cant see why vista doesnt start up on re boot it worked
> fine on the laptop i had before but its not workin on here,if anyone knows
> wot to do helppppp
>
> "DMD31842" wrote:
>
> > That is EXACTLY my problem. The Vista Advisor says it is OK except for what
> > I wrote earlier - Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft
> > Interactive
> > Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
> > Windows Messenger.
> > When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
> > listed are:
> > Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
> > Microsoft Interactive Training
> > Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
> > Dell Media Experience
> > Nortel Extranet Access Client
> > Windows Messenger 5.1
> >

> > "davey" wrote:
> >
> > > heyy i just got this new computer....it was built for me the vista advisor
> > > says its compatible and nothings wrong....so i installed vista premium as the
> > > advisor suggested then on reboot...i get a black screen sayin to restart in
> > > safe mode or roll back to earlier edition...i cant understand why it wont
> > > work...helpppppppppppp

Dwarf

RE: installation help!
Hi DMD31842,

I notice that you have a Dell machine. Dell has, in the past, used (and is
probably still using), proprietory hardware which requires specific drivers
only available from Dell. Check the Dell website for the availability of
Vista drivers for your machine. Download them and save them to a removeable
drive - I suggest a USB flash drive (make sure that it has sufficient
capacity and that you download the correct drivers for 32-bit or 64-bit as
appropriate). If you refer to the instructions in my post 'Clean Install
Windows Vista Using Upgrade Media' also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007),
you should be able to successfully install Vista. If one of the drivers that
you downloaded was for your storage adapter, you will need to provide this
driver during setup. All other drivers can be installed after setup is
complete. In your case, I would definitely wait before you activate Vista to
ensure that everything is working correctly. Please note that you have 30
days to activate.
Dwarf

"DMD31842" wrote:

> Let's hope someone answers this and helps us both!
>
> "davey" wrote:
>
> > the only thing it picked up on mine was messenger 5.1 but said the programm
> > would still run so i cant see why vista doesnt start up on re boot it worked
> > fine on the laptop i had before but its not workin on here,if anyone knows
> > wot to do helppppp
> >
> > "DMD31842" wrote:
> >
> > > That is EXACTLY my problem. The Vista Advisor says it is OK except for what
> > > I wrote earlier - Vista Upgrade Advisor shows: Issues with Microsoft
> > > Interactive
> > > Training, Nortel Networks, Dell Cineplayer, Dell Inc. Utilities,
> > > Windows Messenger.
> > > When I run the installation disc the compatability issues that are
> > > listed are:
> > > Ports (COM & LPT): NetMos PCI ECP Parallel Port (LPT3)
> > > Microsoft Interactive Training
> > > Acrobat Professional/Standard 6 I can delete this)
> > > Dell Media Experience
> > > Nortel Extranet Access Client
> > > Windows Messenger 5.1

DMD31842

RE: installation help!
Dell tells me I need to install Vista and then go to their website for the
drivers. They sent me a page that makes no sense. Also, no where in your
previosu e-mail does it say anyhing about installing drivers. I am now
thoroughly confused. My Dell Dimension 9200 was purchased just a few months
ago and was bought "Vista upgradable". Now what do I do? Here is their e-mail
to me:
10/14/2007 04:16:46PM System: "Thank you for choosing Chat support. The next
representative will be available to assist you shortly. While waiting, check
some of our self support options above. No fear, you won't lose your place in
line!"
10/14/2007 04:16:48PM Session Started with Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450)
10/14/2007 04:16:52PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "Thank you for patiently
waiting. You have reached Dell Hardware Warranty Chat Support. My name is
Taisha and I will be assisting you today. Will you provide details about the
issue you're having?"
10/14/2007 04:17:21PM David Davidson: "I am ving trouble trying to ujpgrade
to Vista Ultimate. Could it be that I need special "drivers" from dell?"
10/14/2007 04:18:28PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "David, have you chatted
with Dell about Vista recently?"
10/14/2007 04:19:04PM David Davidson: "no"
10/14/2007 04:19:23PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "I apologize for this
problem that you are having with VIsta I am going to further assist you
today."
10/14/2007 04:19:31PM David Davidson: "thanks"
10/14/2007 04:19:37PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "Before we begin, can I
have you to verify the company name or name of the owner of the system
please? Also are you chatting about the Dim9200/410 listed on your account?""
10/14/2007 04:19:47PM David Davidson: "Yes"
10/14/2007 04:20:04PM David Davidson: "Company name is: Podiatry Affiliates
and I am the owner"
10/14/2007 04:20:30PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "May I get your current
phone number you can be reached, just in case we get disconnected or need to
follow up on an issue?"
10/14/2007 04:20:41PM David Davidson: "716=688-6361"
10/14/2007 04:21:29PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "David, I will check to see
if there are drivers available in windows Vista."
10/14/2007 04:21:38PM David Davidson: "thanks"
10/14/2007 04:25:16PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "Yes there are some Vista
drivers available for this system."
10/14/2007 04:25:25PM David Davidson: "How do I get them?"
10/14/2007 04:26:13PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "Once you reinstall Vista
you can go to the support.dell.com website."
10/14/2007 04:26:42PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450) sends page:
"http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=DMQJ6C1&SystemID=DIM_PNT_9200_XPS_410 &hidos=WNET&hidlang=en"

10/14/2007 04:26:50PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "There is the link with all
your available drivers."
10/14/2007 04:26:55PM David Davidson: "So you are saying to install Vista
and then go to Dell and get the drivers? The problem is that he installation
gets stck"
10/14/2007 04:27:14PM David Davidson: "stuck"
10/14/2007 04:27:24PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "All I can do is send you
the reinstall guide on how to reinstall Vista."
10/14/2007 04:27:44PM David Davidson: "That would be great. Thanks. Can you
e-mail them to me?"
10/14/2007 04:27:47PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450) sends page:
"http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/tree?c=us&l=en&s=gen&treeid=0A6DDE26E66F36C7E0401E 0A5517368C"

10/14/2007 04:27:54PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "There is the link on how
to reinstall."
10/14/2007 04:28:00PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "That should get you taken
care of."
10/14/2007 04:28:13PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "David, it has been a great
pleasure working with you today. I'm going to send you some important
information for your records. I apologize for its lengthiness. Let me know if
you have any questions about it."
10/14/2007 04:28:14PM David Davidson: "thanks. I will do that and get back
to you if there is a problem. Bye!"
10/14/2007 04:28:22PM David Davidson: "OK-thanks"
10/14/2007 04:28:26PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "Please use these numbers
for future questions on this issue: case #177198857 "
10/14/2007 04:28:30PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "If you need further
assistance with this case, you may contact us via: [Chat]:
www.dell.com/chatsupport or [email]: us_acs_team_1@dell.com (Please include
your Service Tag in the body of the email with any relevant information and
your Case # in the email"
subject line) with the email subject line of "Team 317 Email Dell Inc.
Case#177198857
10/14/2007 04:28:32PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "I am constantly striving
to improve my service. If there is anything I can do to help improve your
experience, please don't hesitate to let me know by contacting my manager via
email at us_acs_team_1@dell.com."

10/14/2007 04:28:33PM Agent (CSS_Taisha_468450): "For service status, please
go to http://support.dell.com 1. Log in. 2. Click on “My Order Status.” 3.
Click on “My Support” and select “Service Call Status.” 4. Enter your
Dispatch Reference# (Service Call Number) and Region or Service Tag."