Vista Start Button stopped working

jetbaby_2000

Vista Start Button stopped working
A couple of days ago I left clicked my Start Button and nothing happened. I
can right click the button and explore all users to get to the programs, but
when I click on it nothing happens. I have run virus and spyware scans
(nothing), windows updates are all up to date, and rebooting has had no
effect.

Help please!
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Start Button stopped working
Hi,

Does it open if you hit ctrl+escape?
Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open task manager, is csrss.exe running on the
processes tab?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jetbaby_2000" <jetbaby2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple of days ago I left clicked my Start Button and nothing happened. I
> can right click the button and explore all users to get to the programs,
> but
> when I click on it nothing happens. I have run virus and spyware scans
> (nothing), windows updates are all up to date, and rebooting has had no
> effect.
>
> Help please!

jetbaby_2000

Re: Vista Start Button stopped working
It doesn't open if I hit ctrl+escape, but the task manager did open when I
hit ctrl+shift+escape and I did see csrss.exe in the list of processes. Any
idea what I should do?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does it open if you hit ctrl+escape?
> Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open task manager, is csrss.exe running on the
> processes tab?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "jetbaby_2000" <jetbaby2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A couple of days ago I left clicked my Start Button and nothing happened. I
> > can right click the button and explore all users to get to the programs,
> > but
> > when I click on it nothing happens. I have run virus and spyware scans
> > (nothing), windows updates are all up to date, and rebooting has had no
> > effect.
> >
> > Help please!

cynthia schonbrun

Vista Start Button Stopped working
Did you ever get an answer from anybody??? I had the same thing happen. It's driving me crazy.

New computers...

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista Start Button Stopped working
Nope, I never did.

"cynthia schonbrun" wrote in message
> Did you ever get an answer from anybody??? I had the same thing happen.
> It's driving me crazy.
>
> New computers...
>
> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

jetbaby_2000

Re: Vista Start Button Stopped working
I never got an answer ... wound up going through all the joy of having to
reinstall my operating system. Wow that was hours of fun ... not!

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Nope, I never did.

> "cynthia schonbrun" wrote in message
> > Did you ever get an answer from anybody??? I had the same thing happen.
> > It's driving me crazy.
> >
> > New computers...
> >
> > EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

commanDOS

Re: Vista Start Button stopped working

Hello all!

I'll bump this up as I also have this problem, and no solution despite
long searching the web.

I am running Vista Home Premium 32bit on a Lenovo T61.

Every time I reboot my machine and Vista loads, the Start Button does
not work - it does not respond to left click.
Ctrl+Esc does not work either.
Ctrl+Shift+Esc does bring up Taskmanager and I see two csrss.exe
processes running - I don't know if this is relevant but it was
mentioned by Rick Rogers in a previous post on this thread.

My solution for the past few months since this problem started was to
right click the Start Button, select Properties, select Classic Start
Menu, click Apply, select Start Menu and click apply again. This solves
the issue and the Start button goes back to normal function.

Although this 'solution' works, I find this issue greatly annoying -
the problem has been encountered by Vista users for months and no
solution available.

Can someone please help us fix this? I'm sure it can't be something too
complicated.

Thanks

--
commanDOS
Guypissedwithstartmenu

Re: Vista Start Button stopped working
I have this too and i HATE it... fix this omg
borgec

Re: Vista Start Button stopped working

I also have this problem, anyone find a way to fix this?

--
borgec
roybales

Re: Vista Start Button stopped working

I just start haveing this problem this afternoon. This solution at
least gets me a Classic Start Menu....Still can not get the Vista one
working.....but Classic will do for now.

--
roybales
roybales's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/roybales.htm

http://forums.techarena.in