Vista business to Home Premium

Jake

Vista business to Home Premium
I have currently installed an OEM Vista Business version. In the future I
will make some hardware changes and I therefor plan to replace the OEM Vista
Businees by a retail Vista Home Premium.
I do not want to go thru the entire application software re-installation
hassle as a result of a new clean install, and plan to do that thru the
upgrade mode of Home Premium.
Questions: Will this work and what problems can I expect? Is a clean install
better in yhis case?

Og

Re: Vista business to Home Premium
"Jake" <santman@planet.nl> wrote in message
>I have currently installed an OEM Vista Business version. In the future I
>will make some hardware changes and I therefor plan to replace the OEM
>Vista Businees by a retail Vista Home Premium.
> I do not want to go thru the entire application software re-installation
> hassle as a result of a new clean install, and plan to do that thru the
> upgrade mode of Home Premium.
> Questions: Will this work and what problems can I expect? Is a clean
> install better in yhis case?

Courtesy of MVP Carey Frisch:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...8942&SiteID=25

One cannot downgrade from Windows Vista Business edition to Vista Home
Premium or Home Basic. Nor can you upgrade from Windows XP Professional to
Windows Home Premium or Basic.

Malke

Jake wrote:
> I have currently installed an OEM Vista Business version. In the future
> I will make some hardware changes and I therefor plan to replace the OEM
> Vista Businees by a retail Vista Home Premium.
> I do not want to go thru the entire application software re-installation
> hassle as a result of a new clean install, and plan to do that thru the
> upgrade mode of Home Premium.
> Questions: Will this work and what problems can I expect? Is a clean
> install better in yhis case?

You must do a clean install to go from Vista Business to Home Premium.
You will need the full retail Home Premium to do a clean install or a
generic OEM. As you know, OEM versions have limitations.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Bruce Chambers

Jake wrote:
> I have currently installed an OEM Vista Business version. In the future
> I will make some hardware changes and I therefor plan to replace the OEM
> Vista Businees by a retail Vista Home Premium.

What specific hardware changes are you planning that you think would
require a change of the OS? Also, as you've an OEM license for Vista
Business, remember that it can never be re-used on any other computer,
so you need to be sure that it really needs to be replaced.

> I do not want to go thru the entire application software re-installation
> hassle as a result of a new clean install,....

Then you shouldn't be thinking of changing from Vista Business to Vista
Home.

> ... and plan to do that thru the
> upgrade mode of Home Premium.

I'm afraid you'll have to change those plans.

> Questions: Will this work and what problems can I expect?

No, it won't work. A transition from Vista Business to Vista Home
Premium would be considered a downgrade, and isn't supported.

> Is a clean
> install better in yhis case?

As it's your only option, yes.

If you really want to upgrade from Vista Business, your only option
would be to purchase Vista Ultimate.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista business to Home Premium
To save the hassles, why not do an Ultimate upgrade?
That is part of the Windows Upgrade path. Business>Ultimate.