Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Installing Vista Question

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Lee
 

Posts: n/a
Installing Vista Question
I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista some
time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
(Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be uninstalled
before I start the Vista install or do I install Vista then worry about
uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Installing Vista Question
It depends how you are going to install Vista. You have XP Pro, so you have
to go for Business or Ultimate as an upgrade; you can't upgrade to Home
Premium from XP Pro.

"Lee" wrote:

> I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista some
> time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
> (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be uninstalled
> before I start the Vista install or do I install Vista then worry about
> uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Vista Question
Anti virus, anti spyware and other anti malware programs are best
uninstalled.

Usually drivers are OK, but if there is an uninstall feature, use it.

Make sure all your essential hardware and software has Windows Vista
support BEFORE purchasing.

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...id=10008VH b1
It is only an advisor, so you may still need to verify what may appear
OK.
Uninstall, not just disable, anything the Upgrade Advisor suggests may
be a problem.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8035168F-5FD9-4546-960C-B2D0D3051C9C@microsoft.com...
>I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install
>Vista some
> time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus,
> Firewall
> (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be
> uninstalled
> before I start the Vista install or do I install Vista then worry
> about
> uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Lee
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Installing Vista Question
Yes I know, possibly will go with Business Edition, so the question still
remains do I need to uninstall these sorts of programs first or install Vista
and just install the Vista drivers.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> It depends how you are going to install Vista. You have XP Pro, so you have
> to go for Business or Ultimate as an upgrade; you can't upgrade to Home
> Premium from XP Pro.
>
> "Lee" wrote:
>
> > I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista some
> > time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
> > (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be uninstalled
> > before I start the Vista install or do I install Vista then worry about
> > uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
wheelman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Vista Question
if your software and maybe some hard ware is not vista approved..you going to
have problems..you may have to buy new software for your dvd and cd
burner..and it will try and reject your video card if you have one
installed..if your hardware is not 2006 or newer..you may have
problems..remember if you buy this,,microsoft gives you within 45 days..to
return it and get your money back..read a lot of post on this site..before
you decide to buy.and ask yourself..are you strong enough or man enough..can
you handle the pain and agony of defeat..it may make you cry...

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Anti virus, anti spyware and other anti malware programs are best
> uninstalled.
>
> Usually drivers are OK, but if there is an uninstall feature, use it.
>
> Make sure all your essential hardware and software has Windows Vista
> support BEFORE purchasing.
>
> The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...id=10008VH b1
> It is only an advisor, so you may still need to verify what may appear
> OK.
> Uninstall, not just disable, anything the Upgrade Advisor suggests may
> be a problem.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8035168F-5FD9-4546-960C-B2D0D3051C9C@microsoft.com...
> >I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install
> >Vista some
> > time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus,
> > Firewall
> > (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be
> > uninstalled
> > before I start the Vista install or do I install Vista then worry
> > about
> > uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Installing Vista Question
Lee, ignore that "wheelman". I run vista on a 5yo Packard Bell, with upgraded
RAM and Graphics(The ATI Graphics worked with XP), and a 2.0 CPU.

"Lee" wrote:

> I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista some
> time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
> (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be uninstalled
> before I start the Vista install or do I install Vista then worry about
> uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Vista Question
Hi Lee,

>I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista
>some
> time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
> (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be
> uninstalled
> before I start the Vista install


Yes, yes, yes, and especially yes. Video drivers in particular can be
problematic. Remove the manufacturer driver set and revert to standard VGA
before upgrading. Also include in this list any third party CD/DVD burning
software as the driver files they use under XP will likely cause conflicts
with Vista's setup.

> or do I install Vista then worry about
> uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.


If you don't uninstall them first, there is a strong chance that setup will
fail due to incompatibilities and conflicts. Install suitable programs after
the upgrade is complete.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8035168F-5FD9-4546-960C-B2D0D3051C9C@microsoft.com...

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
wheelman
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Vista Question
come on micky..you just dont listen...the vga card may work and it may
not..on my computer it stoped the 3d from working..that was all..but no one
knows what will work with vista and what want,,untill they install it..what
ever the case.the guy will have problems like every one else..i know one
thing its not worth the night mare..or the grief you may go though..but you
may just get lucky and everything will go just find..lol but dont bet on
it..just read these post at this site..take your time and read them...general
discusions and the the post about installing vista..a lot of reading..but
worth reading

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> >I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista
> >some
> > time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
> > (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be
> > uninstalled
> > before I start the Vista install

>
> Yes, yes, yes, and especially yes. Video drivers in particular can be
> problematic. Remove the manufacturer driver set and revert to standard VGA
> before upgrading. Also include in this list any third party CD/DVD burning
> software as the driver files they use under XP will likely cause conflicts
> with Vista's setup.
>
> > or do I install Vista then worry about
> > uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.

>
> If you don't uninstall them first, there is a strong chance that setup will
> fail due to incompatibilities and conflicts. Install suitable programs after
> the upgrade is complete.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>
> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8035168F-5FD9-4546-960C-B2D0D3051C9C@microsoft.com...
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
JRB Associates
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Vista Question
Lee,

I have installed many copies of Vista, and had few real difficulties. The
majority of the advice given, such as uninstalling things like anti-virus is
a safe and prudent approach. May I offer a few things to think about.

Start by having a good backup, even if the hardware and software is
compatible, errors and mistakes can happen.

While many hardware and software components are compatible, some are not. If
your hardware is reasonably current, then you should probably be OK.
Although Vista can get by (barely) with 512 MB of RAM, 1 GB is much better.
Most of the PCs I have installed Vista on have 2 GB, which is really the
sweet spot. If you are installing 32 bit Vista, more than 2 GB of RAM can
actually be an issue (depending), so be aware.

If you are even slightly uncertain how you will feel regarding Vista, then
you may want to strongly consider not Activating immediately after
installation, and be sure to uncheck the box for automatically activating.
You can install Vista without entering a Product Key by simply not entering
one. You will then be prompted for which version to install. Be sure to
select the correct one. By not activating immediately, you will be able to
install Vista, and fully test it without being locked down. If you are
dissatisfied, you can then potentially return it, since it was not
activated. You will have 30 days to activate, before Vista enters reduced
functionality mode. If you decide to keep it, you can use the Start Menu to
go to Control Panel and then System to activate Vista later. At the bottom
of the screen there is a setting to change the Product Key. Be certain to
enter the correct key for the version of Vista which you have. There is also
a button there to allow you the activate online after entering the Product
Key.

While Windows Updates is enabled by default, after first installing, you may
want to manually use Windows Update in Control Panel to immediately get all
of the latest updates. Since Vista released, Microsoft has released a great
many updates. I have found that these can make a huge difference in how
Vista behaves. Granted nothing is perfect, but in my experience getting the
latest updates really helps Vista.

Again, like where we started above (prior to installing Vista), prior to
making most changes, you may want to consider creating a Restore Point.
Vista does this automatically for many things, but not all. Under Control
Panel, System, Change Settings, System Protection; there are the selections
to allow setting and restoring from Restore Points.

Regarding software compatibility, it really varies substantially. Much
software works just fine. Other software will require an update. Still other
software can be run in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode. Hardware
compatibility is similar; some works fine, others require updated drivers,
but then there is hardware for which the device manufacturer decided not to
support Vista. For example, I have printers which are 10 years old, and work
great; all features are supported. I also have several printers from the
same manufacturer, which are only 2-3 years old, and don't work at all.
You'll just need to research what is supported and what is not; and decide
accordingly.

I hope that it works well for you.
John Baker


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2007
Mick Murphy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Installing Vista Question
I build and repair computers as a business, amongst other IT things. I think
that I know my way around computers.

YOU have stated that unless it is 2006 and above, it definitely won't work.
You are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would HATE to see your comments on older Programs.

As I have stated: you are a waste of space!

"wheelman" wrote:

> come on micky..you just dont listen...the vga card may work and it may
> not..on my computer it stoped the 3d from working..that was all..but no one
> knows what will work with vista and what want,,untill they install it..what
> ever the case.the guy will have problems like every one else..i know one
> thing its not worth the night mare..or the grief you may go though..but you
> may just get lucky and everything will go just find..lol but dont bet on
> it..just read these post at this site..take your time and read them...general
> discusions and the the post about installing vista..a lot of reading..but
> worth reading
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi Lee,
> >
> > >I have Windows XP Pro installed at the moment, but want to install Vista
> > >some
> > > time soon, and I was wondering if XP programs like Anti-Virus, Firewall
> > > (Rising), Anti Spyware (CounterSpy) Video drivers, etc have to be
> > > uninstalled
> > > before I start the Vista install

> >
> > Yes, yes, yes, and especially yes. Video drivers in particular can be
> > problematic. Remove the manufacturer driver set and revert to standard VGA
> > before upgrading. Also include in this list any third party CD/DVD burning
> > software as the driver files they use under XP will likely cause conflicts
> > with Vista's setup.
> >
> > > or do I install Vista then worry about
> > > uninstill these programs, and installing the Vista ones.

> >
> > If you don't uninstall them first, there is a strong chance that setup will
> > fail due to incompatibilities and conflicts. Install suitable programs after
> > the upgrade is complete.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,
> >
> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:8035168F-5FD9-4546-960C-B2D0D3051C9C@microsoft.com...
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about installing Office 2007 on Vista Ultimate Bill Boylan microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 09-20-2007 15:46
Question about clean installing with upgrade media lsproc microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 7 05-29-2007 19:55
Installing Vista on a RAID drive -- question regarding formatting =?Utf-8?B?RGFlcnZvbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-05-2007 19:50
Installing on a RAID drive -- question about formatting =?Utf-8?B?RGFlcnZvbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 03-05-2007 19:05
Vista installing with XP boot drive question =?Utf-8?B?V2FycmVu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 12 02-03-2007 20:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120