Is OPK required for individual system builder?

Jim Horvath

Is OPK required for individual system builder?
I bought a motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, chassis, etc. and
assembled my own system. I have now purchased an OEM license for Vista
Home Premium and wish to do a clean install on this system.

I understand that the OEM license will be irrevocably tied to this
system, and that I am responsible for my own "customer support".

My question is whether I am truly required to pre-install Vista using
the OEM pre-installation kit as is stated on the System Builder 1 pack
box (I have not yet broken the seal on the box). The OPK is not included
in the box, and I have not registered with MS as a "System Builder" to
download it as I am just building this computer for myself.

Can't I just install directly from the enclosed DVD as I have all
previous versions of Windows? Would this violate the OEM license?

Jim Horvath
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Is OPK required for individual system builder?
Just install Windows Vista normally.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jim Horvath" <not_here@no_spam.org> wrote in message news:%23D3kl0DDIHA.4196@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
I bought a motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, chassis, etc. and
assembled my own system. I have now purchased an OEM license for Vista
Home Premium and wish to do a clean install on this system.

I understand that the OEM license will be irrevocably tied to this
system, and that I am responsible for my own "customer support".

My question is whether I am truly required to pre-install Vista using
the OEM pre-installation kit as is stated on the System Builder 1 pack
box (I have not yet broken the seal on the box). The OPK is not included
in the box, and I have not registered with MS as a "System Builder" to
download it as I am just building this computer for myself.

Can't I just install directly from the enclosed DVD as I have all
previous versions of Windows? Would this violate the OEM license?

Jim Horvath
JRB Associates

Re: Is OPK required for individual system builder?
Jim,

If you were to distribute the PC to anyone else, then the OPK is required to
brand the PC, marking you as the system builder. This is so that the final
end user will know who to contact for support. It also assists in
configuring the PC so that the final end user is presented with the license
screen (OOBE) to accept prior to use.

Since you will be the final end user, and provide your own support, then
nobody will say anything to you if you just install it.

John Baker