Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro

John Randle

Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
Purchase a retail upgrade version of Windows XP
Professional. Then while at your Windows XP Home
Edition desktop, insert the XP Pro upgrade CD in
the CD drive and select "upgrade".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John Randle" <JohnRandle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16EBA53E-55D5-45E9-94AC-0369D64E2705@microsoft.com...
I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?
v-2a**

Re: Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
just a follow-up question about this.
What happen was after i did the upgrade is i can no longer play any
music/sounds. I have installed the driver for sound already but still the
same...

Please help, need your advice.
Allah Danne Lisondra

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Purchase a retail upgrade version of Windows XP
> Professional. Then while at your Windows XP Home
> Edition desktop, insert the XP Pro upgrade CD in
> the CD drive and select "upgrade".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "John Randle" <JohnRandle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16EBA53E-55D5-45E9-94AC-0369D64E2705@microsoft.com...
> I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
> doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
> Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?

wheelman

Re: Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
did you go in and find your sound card software and do a update driver..let
it find it and tell you if..the driver is installed..do you know how to find
it and do that..

"v-2a**" wrote:

> just a follow-up question about this.
> What happen was after i did the upgrade is i can no longer play any
> music/sounds. I have installed the driver for sound already but still the
> same...
>
> Please help, need your advice.
> Allah Danne Lisondra
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Purchase a retail upgrade version of Windows XP
> > Professional. Then while at your Windows XP Home
> > Edition desktop, insert the XP Pro upgrade CD in
> > the CD drive and select "upgrade".
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "John Randle" <JohnRandle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16EBA53E-55D5-45E9-94AC-0369D64E2705@microsoft.com...
> > I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
> > doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
> > Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?

MS-Dash

Re: Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
yeah, i did try that, i even check the drivers for my sound card. still the
same.. pls help
--
v-2all@mssupport.microsoft.com
MICROSOFT - consumer support

"wheelman" wrote:

> did you go in and find your sound card software and do a update driver..let
> it find it and tell you if..the driver is installed..do you know how to find
> it and do that..
>
> "v-2a**" wrote:
>
> > just a follow-up question about this.
> > What happen was after i did the upgrade is i can no longer play any
> > music/sounds. I have installed the driver for sound already but still the
> > same...
> >
> > Please help, need your advice.
> > Allah Danne Lisondra
> >
> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Purchase a retail upgrade version of Windows XP
> > > Professional. Then while at your Windows XP Home
> > > Edition desktop, insert the XP Pro upgrade CD in
> > > the CD drive and select "upgrade".
> > >
> > > --
> > > Carey Frisch
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows Shell/User

> > > "John Randle" <JohnRandle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16EBA53E-55D5-45E9-94AC-0369D64E2705@microsoft.com...
> > > I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
> > > doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
> > > Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?

Pepe Dummie looking for XP Pro's upgrade

RE: Upgrading from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro
I'm doing exactly the same, unsuccesfully, but I have some links may be
usefull for you:

http://foro.elhacker.net/index.php/topic,101630.0.html
http://foro.elhacker.net/index.php/topic,187051.0.html

If you had more lucky than me, I'd appreciate very very much that upgrade
path.
Otherwise, obviously, I'll do the same. I almost desesperate.

Thanks. Rubén (Guadalajara, Mex, so apologize because my bad english).

"John Randle" wrote:

> I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
> doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
> Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?

Bruce Chambers

Pepe Dummie looking for XP Pro's upgrade wrote:
> I'm doing exactly the same, unsuccesfully, but I have some links may be
> usefull for you:
>
> http://foro.elhacker.net/index.php/topic,101630.0.html
> http://foro.elhacker.net/index.php/topic,187051.0.html
>
> If you had more lucky than me, I'd appreciate very very much that upgrade
> path.
> Otherwise, obviously, I'll do the same. I almost desesperate.
>
> Thanks. Rubén (Guadalajara, Mex, so apologize because my bad english).
>

> "John Randle" wrote:
>
>> I am running XP Home on a desktop and would like to upgrade to XP Pro without
>> doing a complete reinstall and adversely affecting my data and applications.
>> Does Microsoft offer an upgrade path to accomplish this?

I don't understand why you'd be having a problem upgrading from WinXP
Home to WinXP Pro. Normally, the upgrade from WinXP Home to WinXP Pro,
in particular, almost always goes smoothly, as both operating systems
use the same kernel. What specific problems are you experiencing?

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things can
go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all important
to you, back it up before proceeding.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: