Should I install...

MikeG

Should I install...
My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I install
the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under XP?

Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
better than another?

Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Should I install...
Forget Norton.. install either AVG or Avast free version, or if you really
want to pay, NOD32 or the paid version of AVG..

"MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I install
> the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under XP?
>
> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
> better than another?
>
> Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Should I install...
To add a little to what Mike Hall said.
Uninstall any Norton products BEFORE you start the upgrade.

Uninstall, not just disable, any programs that have even the least
possibility of conflicting with windows Vista.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I
> install the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running
> under XP?
>
> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is
> one better than another?
>
> Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

MikeG

Re: Should I install...
OK...I will, and I got both free anti-virus progs Mike Hall suggested, and
will not install Norton Internet Security.
> To add a little to what Mike Hall said.
> Uninstall any Norton products BEFORE you start the upgrade.
>
> Uninstall, not just disable, any programs that have even the least
> possibility of conflicting with windows Vista.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I
>> install the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under
>> XP?
>>
>> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
>> better than another?
>>
>> Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

Bruce Chambers

Re: Should I install...
MikeG wrote:
> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I install
> the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under XP?

I certainly wouldn't install *any* of Norton's consumer grade software
on any computer. Particularly if the version I have was designed with
WinXP; it very well may not work at all on Vista.

> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
> better than another?

You most certainly do need an anti-virus application, as Vista has *no*
built-in anti-virus protection, whatsoever. Two of the better and most
popular free (for personal use) products are:

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-.../crp/6#details

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Mick Murphy

Re: Should I install...
Only install one anti-virus program! Not both!

"MikeG" wrote:

> OK...I will, and I got both free anti-virus progs Mike Hall suggested, and
> will not install Norton Internet Security.
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > To add a little to what Mike Hall said.
> > Uninstall any Norton products BEFORE you start the upgrade.
> >
> > Uninstall, not just disable, any programs that have even the least
> > possibility of conflicting with windows Vista.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> >

> > "MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I
> >> install the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under
> >> XP?
> >>
> >> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
> >> better than another?
> >>
> >> Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

John Barnes

Re: Should I install...
One more point, if upgrading, I would certainly unplug any USB devices
during the install and install again after upgrade.

> OK...I will, and I got both free anti-virus progs Mike Hall suggested, and
> will not install Norton Internet Security.
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> To add a little to what Mike Hall said.
>> Uninstall any Norton products BEFORE you start the upgrade.
>>
>> Uninstall, not just disable, any programs that have even the least
>> possibility of conflicting with windows Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I
>>> install the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running
>>> under XP?
>>>
>>> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
>>> better than another?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

MikeG

Re: Should I install...
OK, I have both and will install one of them. I'll prob buy one of them. OK
I will unplug all USB items, and I have already uninstalled a lot of
programs. I didn't know Norton was held in such disrepute. I will not
install any more Norton programs...thanks to all who answered me.
> MikeG wrote:
>> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I
>> install the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under
>> XP?
>>

> I certainly wouldn't install *any* of Norton's consumer grade software on
> any computer. Particularly if the version I have was designed with WinXP;
> it very well may not work at all on Vista.
>

>> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
>> better than another?
>>

> You most certainly do need an anti-virus application, as Vista has *no*
> built-in anti-virus protection, whatsoever. Two of the better and most
> popular free (for personal use) products are:
>
> Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
>
> AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
> http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-.../crp/6#details
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Richard Urban

Re: Should I install...

"MikeG" <m***dos06.nospam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> My Vista Ultimate Upgrade is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Should I install
> the Norton Internet Security program(s) I have been running under XP?

No! No! No!

> Also do I need an anti-virus program, as in the past, and if so, is one
> better than another?

Yes, you need an antivirus program, as does most anyone going on the
internet with a computer running Windows (the most targeted operating system
of them all).

AVAST is a good free program.

AVG is used by some but I do not regard it as highly as AVAST.

NOD32 is a great fee based antivirus program and continually get high test
scores when reviewed by those orginizations that perform the testing.

> Many thanks for all your good advice...I have been taking it...MikeG

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User