Can't remove old WinXP from start-up boot options

garbanzo

Can't remove old WinXP from start-up boot options
My Dell computer started out with XP Media Center Edition installed. A
program I wanted to run could only be installed under either XP Pro or Vista.
First I tried to upgrade the computer to XP Pro but was never able to get it
to complete the install. So then I bought a Vista upgrade which I was able
to install. However now whenever I boot my computer it asks if I want to
boot Vista or XP Pro Setup. If I try and boot XP Pro Setup it fails with
"File \$win_nt$.~bt\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Error code is 14." I
have no trouble booting to Vista but it is a pain to have to go through the
Windows Boot Manager every time. Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of
the incomplete XP Pro installation?

I tried the method in kb934564 but it won't allow me access to enum even
though I'm signed in as the administrator.

Thanks for any advice.
Seth

Re: Can't remove old WinXP from start-up boot options
"garbanzo" <garbanzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Dell computer started out with XP Media Center Edition installed. A
> program I wanted to run could only be installed under either XP Pro or
> Vista.
> First I tried to upgrade the computer to XP Pro but was never able to get
> it
> to complete the install. So then I bought a Vista upgrade which I was
> able
> to install. However now whenever I boot my computer it asks if I want to
> boot Vista or XP Pro Setup. If I try and boot XP Pro Setup it fails with
> "File \$win_nt$.~bt\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Error code is 14."
> have no trouble booting to Vista but it is a pain to have to go through
> the
> Windows Boot Manager every time. Does anyone have an idea how to get rid
> of
> the incomplete XP Pro installation?
>
> I tried the method in kb934564 but it won't allow me access to enum even
> though I'm signed in as the administrator.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Click on the "Windows Orb" then right click on "Computer" and choose
Properties.

Click on "Advanced system settings" (in left window pane)

Under "Startup and Recovery" click "Settings"

Choose what you want your "Default operating system" from the drop-down box
and set the "Time to display list of operating systems" value to 1 second

Hit "OK"

Hit "OK"

Now on boot-up, it should auto-select your default within 1 second.

garbanzo

Re: Can't remove old WinXP from start-up boot options
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't work. The only option given in the
drop down box in Startup and Recovery is Vista. I think because the XP was a
failed install it set a flag to try and finish the install and this is what
the 2nd option is in the boot menu. Unless someone can identify the
appropriate keys in the registry to delete, I don't think I'll have much
luck.

"Seth" wrote:

> "garbanzo" <garbanzo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Dell computer started out with XP Media Center Edition installed. A
> > program I wanted to run could only be installed under either XP Pro or
> > Vista.
> > First I tried to upgrade the computer to XP Pro but was never able to get
> > it
> > to complete the install. So then I bought a Vista upgrade which I was
> > able
> > to install. However now whenever I boot my computer it asks if I want to
> > boot Vista or XP Pro Setup. If I try and boot XP Pro Setup it fails with
> > "File \$win_nt$.~bt\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Error code is 14."
> > have no trouble booting to Vista but it is a pain to have to go through
> > the
> > Windows Boot Manager every time. Does anyone have an idea how to get rid
> > of
> > the incomplete XP Pro installation?
> >
> > I tried the method in kb934564 but it won't allow me access to enum even
> > though I'm signed in as the administrator.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.

> Click on the "Windows Orb" then right click on "Computer" and choose
> Properties.
>
> Click on "Advanced system settings" (in left window pane)
>
> Under "Startup and Recovery" click "Settings"
>
> Choose what you want your "Default operating system" from the drop-down box
> and set the "Time to display list of operating systems" value to 1 second
>
> Hit "OK"
>
> Hit "OK"
>
> Now on boot-up, it should auto-select your default within 1 second.

John Barnes

Re: Can't remove old WinXP from start-up boot options
Download and install EasyBCD or VistaBootPro and you will easily be able to
remove the entry you don't want. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1