Vista Home >> Ultimate

Nick

Vista Home >> Ultimate
I have a HP Laptop with Vista Home 32 bit and want to upgrade to Ultimate 64
bit to be able to utilize all of my 4GB of memory.

Is this workable or do I have to do a fresh install and format the drive, I
really do not want to do this because I want to keep all the drivers and
software that are already loaded onto the laptop.

Thanks!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Home >> Ultimate
Since you can only install the 64-bit version
of Windows Vista as a "clean install", it would
be far better for you to stay with the currently
installed 32-bit version of Vista.

Read Ed Bott's blog on Vista RAM:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=282

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Nick" wrote:

I have a HP Laptop with Vista Home 32 bit and want to upgrade to Ultimate 64
bit to be able to utilize all of my 4GB of memory.

Is this workable or do I have to do a fresh install and format the drive, I
really do not want to do this because I want to keep all the drivers and
software that are already loaded onto the laptop.

Thanks!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista Home >> Ultimate
Nick

Anytime you go from 32bit to 64bit, it requires a clean install. It's likely
that the 32bit drivers would not work on the 64bit version. Some of the
32bit software may also not work.

Make sure you do your homework on this before making the decision to upgrade
to 64bit.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Laptop with Vista Home 32 bit and want to upgrade to Ultimate
>64
> bit to be able to utilize all of my 4GB of memory.
>
> Is this workable or do I have to do a fresh install and format the drive,
> really do not want to do this because I want to keep all the drivers and
> software that are already loaded onto the laptop.
>
> Thanks!

Nick

RE: Vista Home >> Ultimate
OK, Last question.

What is the big difference between Ultimate and Home Premium?

If I am going to play games and work with iTunes, maybe do some audio
editing, DVD movies, do I really need Ultimate?

Thanks!
Mick Murphy

RE: Vista Home >> Ultimate
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

The link you require!

"Nick" wrote:

> OK, Last question.
>
> What is the big difference between Ultimate and Home Premium?
>
> If I am going to play games and work with iTunes, maybe do some audio
> editing, DVD movies, do I really need Ultimate?
>
> Thanks!

John Barnes

Re: Vista Home >> Ultimate
No 32-bit drivers will work