Clean Install of XP Fails after Vista Install Success

John Kotuby

Clean Install of XP Fails after Vista Install Success
Hi all,
I didn't know which group to post in... XP or Vista. Maybe I will cross-post
if necessary.
Here is the problem. I got a new Dell Inspiron 531 with a single 160 GB
drive. The motherboard supports SATA Raid 1. I purchased an identical
Seagate drive (model# exact), activated Raid 1 and created the array. Upon
POST the machine indicates a healthy Raid 1 array.

I then installed Vista Business from the DVD, The install went quickly and
flawlessly and the OS is working just fine.

However, I discovered that some critical business applications would not
install on Vista and therefore decided to fall back to XP Pro until the
applications are brought up to Vista compatibility.

Upon attempting to then do a clean install of XP Pro from the DVD I ran into
a problem. All the drivers and support files loaded properly as per a
typical XP pre-install setup routine.. However, after the message "Starting
Windows" is displayed (still in the very beginnings of the install), there
is a delay of about 30 seconds and then I get a blue-screen indicating that
XP found problems with the Hard Drive or Drive Controllers. I tried 3 times
and the same thing happened.

The machine still boots and runs Vista without a problem.

I am confused as to how Vista accepted the drive configuration without my
having to load a Sata/Raid driver up front. Is the problem that after the
prompt "Press F6 to load additional drivers" I should need to install a
driver to be used during XP setup so that it will recognize my Sata Raid???

Thanks for any replies... John

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Clean Install of XP Fails after Vista Install Success
You should only install one operating system
on a RAID array. The proper way to dual-boot
is to first install Windows XP on one drive, then
install Windows Vista on its own separate drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"John Kotuby" <JohnKotuby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:uW4J5a1CIHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Thanks Carey for the reply...

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I do not want to end up with a
dual-boot machine... even though I had considered it.

My intention is to re-format the Raid drive during the "clean" install of
Windows XP, using the XP intall program that appears from DVD upon
re-boot...booting directly from the DVD.

I want to get rid of the Vista install compeletely...with the intention up
doing an Upgrade install from XP Pro to Vista Business later when the
applications I need to run become Vista compatible. I have heard that the
upgrade install from XP to Vista actually works well...much better than
previous upgrade installs.

> You should only install one operating system
> on a RAID array. The proper way to dual-boot
> is to first install Windows XP on one drive, then
> install Windows Vista on its own separate drive.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "John Kotuby" <JohnKotuby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I didn't know which group to post in... XP or Vista. Maybe I will
> cross-post
> if necessary.
> Here is the problem. I got a new Dell Inspiron 531 with a single 160 GB
> drive. The motherboard supports SATA Raid 1. I purchased an identical
> Seagate drive (model# exact), activated Raid 1 and created the array. Upon
> POST the machine indicates a healthy Raid 1 array.
>
> I then installed Vista Business from the DVD, The install went quickly and
> flawlessly and the OS is working just fine.
>
> However, I discovered that some critical business applications would not
> install on Vista and therefore decided to fall back to XP Pro until the
> applications are brought up to Vista compatibility.
>
> Upon attempting to then do a clean install of XP Pro from the DVD I ran
> into
> a problem. All the drivers and support files loaded properly as per a
> typical XP pre-install setup routine.. However, after the message
> "Starting
> Windows" is displayed (still in the very beginnings of the install), there
> is a delay of about 30 seconds and then I get a blue-screen indicating
> that
> XP found problems with the Hard Drive or Drive Controllers. I tried 3
> times
> and the same thing happened.
>
> The machine still boots and runs Vista without a problem.
>
> I am confused as to how Vista accepted the drive configuration without my
> having to load a Sata/Raid driver up front. Is the problem that after the
> prompt "Press F6 to load additional drivers" I should need to install a
> driver to be used during XP setup so that it will recognize my Sata
> Raid???
>
> Thanks for any replies... John

Doug

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:09:15 -0400, John Kotuby wrote:

> Hi all,
> I didn't know which group to post in... XP or Vista. Maybe I will
> cross-post if necessary.
> Here is the problem. I got a new Dell Inspiron 531 with a single 160 GB
> drive. The motherboard supports SATA Raid 1. I purchased an identical
> Seagate drive (model# exact), activated Raid 1 and created the array.
> Upon POST the machine indicates a healthy Raid 1 array.
>
> I then installed Vista Business from the DVD, The install went quickly
> and flawlessly and the OS is working just fine.
>
> However, I discovered that some critical business applications would not
> install on Vista and therefore decided to fall back to XP Pro until the
> applications are brought up to Vista compatibility.
>
> Upon attempting to then do a clean install of XP Pro from the DVD I ran
> into a problem. All the drivers and support files loaded properly as per
> a typical XP pre-install setup routine.. However, after the message
> "Starting Windows" is displayed (still in the very beginnings of the
> install), there is a delay of about 30 seconds and then I get a
> blue-screen indicating that XP found problems with the Hard Drive or
> Drive Controllers. I tried 3 times and the same thing happened.
>
> The machine still boots and runs Vista without a problem.
>
> I am confused as to how Vista accepted the drive configuration without
> my having to load a Sata/Raid driver up front. Is the problem that after
> the prompt "Press F6 to load additional drivers" I should need to
> install a driver to be used during XP setup so that it will recognize my
> Sata Raid???
>
> Thanks for any replies... John

Jonh, I would suspect that you are correct in your last statement. XP
does have problems with SATA Raid drivers. You will need to get the XP
drivers for your sata controller and use the F6 option to load them at
install time. This should then allow you to continue your install as
normal.

Doug
Mick Murphy

Re: Clean Install of XP Fails after Vista Install Success
Doug is correct.
Something for the future. When you go back to Vista, do a clean install.
Upgrading from XP to vista, you are asking for problems.

"John Kotuby" wrote:

> Thanks Carey for the reply...
>
> I guess I didn't make myself clear. I do not want to end up with a
> dual-boot machine... even though I had considered it.
>
> My intention is to re-format the Raid drive during the "clean" install of
> Windows XP, using the XP intall program that appears from DVD upon
> re-boot...booting directly from the DVD.
>
> I want to get rid of the Vista install compeletely...with the intention up
> doing an Upgrade install from XP Pro to Vista Business later when the
> applications I need to run become Vista compatible. I have heard that the
> upgrade install from XP to Vista actually works well...much better than
> previous upgrade installs.

> > You should only install one operating system
> > on a RAID array. The proper way to dual-boot
> > is to first install Windows XP on one drive, then
> > install Windows Vista on its own separate drive.
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

> > "John Kotuby" <JohnKotuby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I didn't know which group to post in... XP or Vista. Maybe I will
> > cross-post
> > if necessary.
> > Here is the problem. I got a new Dell Inspiron 531 with a single 160 GB
> > drive. The motherboard supports SATA Raid 1. I purchased an identical
> > Seagate drive (model# exact), activated Raid 1 and created the array. Upon
> > POST the machine indicates a healthy Raid 1 array.
> >
> > I then installed Vista Business from the DVD, The install went quickly and
> > flawlessly and the OS is working just fine.
> >
> > However, I discovered that some critical business applications would not
> > install on Vista and therefore decided to fall back to XP Pro until the
> > applications are brought up to Vista compatibility.
> >
> > Upon attempting to then do a clean install of XP Pro from the DVD I ran
> > into
> > a problem. All the drivers and support files loaded properly as per a
> > typical XP pre-install setup routine.. However, after the message
> > "Starting
> > Windows" is displayed (still in the very beginnings of the install), there
> > is a delay of about 30 seconds and then I get a blue-screen indicating
> > that
> > XP found problems with the Hard Drive or Drive Controllers. I tried 3
> > times
> > and the same thing happened.
> >
> > The machine still boots and runs Vista without a problem.
> >
> > I am confused as to how Vista accepted the drive configuration without my
> > having to load a Sata/Raid driver up front. Is the problem that after the
> > prompt "Press F6 to load additional drivers" I should need to install a
> > driver to be used during XP setup so that it will recognize my Sata
> > Raid???
> >
> > Thanks for any replies... John

John Barnes

Re: Clean Install of XP Fails after Vista Install Success
You will need the drivers on a floppy when asked on the bottom of the screen
for F6 drivers.