Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Advice on Windows Boot Manager

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2007
Ger68
 

Posts: n/a
Advice on Windows Boot Manager
I have XP installed on a partition on 1 HDD and Vista Ultimate installed on a
separate Drive. The thing is I do not have the Windows Boot Manager when I
boot up with the OS options. I can only achieve this by changiing the Boot
Device in Bios, so I don't think any boot files are damaged. In Startup and
Recovery on both systems only one OS is recognised and when I tried Third
Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS also.
I will probably have to reinstall anyway as when I now enter Vista I get a
Black Screen with My Documents open and I have to start Win Explorer Manually
in Task Manager.
Is It important to leave the XP installed Drive connected to the Motherboard
when installing Vista. Is this necessary for the Windows Boot Manager Option
or will Vista install Drivers etc on the XP drive causing both Drives to run
on Boot up.
Is there another way I can find the Windows Boot Manager.
Thanx for any Help
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2007
peter
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
If you disconnect the XP drive Vista cannot overwrite the XP bootmanager
with its own....maybe thats how you got here in the 1st place.
A disconnected drive cannot be seen.Vista will install its boot manager on
the drive labeled System Boot under Comp Management/disk management.
Which of the partitions on that 1 HDD is labeled as such???
peter
"Ger68" <Ger68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F7D285F-F254-4201-97BB-A91A181DF710@microsoft.com...
>I have XP installed on a partition on 1 HDD and Vista Ultimate installed on
>a
> separate Drive. The thing is I do not have the Windows Boot Manager when I
> boot up with the OS options. I can only achieve this by changiing the Boot
> Device in Bios, so I don't think any boot files are damaged. In Startup
> and
> Recovery on both systems only one OS is recognised and when I tried Third
> Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS also.
> I will probably have to reinstall anyway as when I now enter Vista I get a
> Black Screen with My Documents open and I have to start Win Explorer
> Manually
> in Task Manager.
> Is It important to leave the XP installed Drive connected to the
> Motherboard
> when installing Vista. Is this necessary for the Windows Boot Manager
> Option
> or will Vista install Drivers etc on the XP drive causing both Drives to
> run
> on Boot up.
> Is there another way I can find the Windows Boot Manager.
> Thanx for any Help


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2007
Gerb68
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
I had Vista installed first. Then to obtain a Dual Boot I did a complete
reinstall by first installing XP on a drive that already had two Partitions.
In Disk Management in XP, XP is installed on one partition labelled Healthy
(Boot) and the other Partition on that Drive is labelled Healthy (System)
In Vista, The Drive Vista is on is Labelled Healthy (System Boot)

"peter" wrote:

> If you disconnect the XP drive Vista cannot overwrite the XP bootmanager
> with its own....maybe thats how you got here in the 1st place.
> A disconnected drive cannot be seen.Vista will install its boot manager on
> the drive labeled System Boot under Comp Management/disk management.
> Which of the partitions on that 1 HDD is labeled as such???
> peter
> "Ger68" <Ger68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2F7D285F-F254-4201-97BB-A91A181DF710@microsoft.com...
> >I have XP installed on a partition on 1 HDD and Vista Ultimate installed on
> >a
> > separate Drive. The thing is I do not have the Windows Boot Manager when I
> > boot up with the OS options. I can only achieve this by changiing the Boot
> > Device in Bios, so I don't think any boot files are damaged. In Startup
> > and
> > Recovery on both systems only one OS is recognised and when I tried Third
> > Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS also.
> > I will probably have to reinstall anyway as when I now enter Vista I get a
> > Black Screen with My Documents open and I have to start Win Explorer
> > Manually
> > in Task Manager.
> > Is It important to leave the XP installed Drive connected to the
> > Motherboard
> > when installing Vista. Is this necessary for the Windows Boot Manager
> > Option
> > or will Vista install Drivers etc on the XP drive causing both Drives to
> > run
> > on Boot up.
> > Is there another way I can find the Windows Boot Manager.
> > Thanx for any Help

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
Andy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
The drive partition that is identified as System, Boot under Vista
contains the Vista boot manager files.
The drive partition that is identified as System under XP contains the
boot files for XP.
If you want dual boot to occur, the disk containing the XP system
partition must be connected when Vista is installed.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:32:04 -0700, Gerb68
<Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I had Vista installed first. Then to obtain a Dual Boot I did a complete
>reinstall by first installing XP on a drive that already had two Partitions.
>In Disk Management in XP, XP is installed on one partition labelled Healthy
>(Boot) and the other Partition on that Drive is labelled Healthy (System)
>In Vista, The Drive Vista is on is Labelled Healthy (System Boot)
>
>"peter" wrote:
>
>> If you disconnect the XP drive Vista cannot overwrite the XP bootmanager
>> with its own....maybe thats how you got here in the 1st place.
>> A disconnected drive cannot be seen.Vista will install its boot manager on
>> the drive labeled System Boot under Comp Management/disk management.
>> Which of the partitions on that 1 HDD is labeled as such???
>> peter
>> "Ger68" <Ger68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2F7D285F-F254-4201-97BB-A91A181DF710@microsoft.com...
>> >I have XP installed on a partition on 1 HDD and Vista Ultimate installed on
>> >a
>> > separate Drive. The thing is I do not have the Windows Boot Manager when I
>> > boot up with the OS options. I can only achieve this by changiing the Boot
>> > Device in Bios, so I don't think any boot files are damaged. In Startup
>> > and
>> > Recovery on both systems only one OS is recognised and when I tried Third
>> > Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS also.
>> > I will probably have to reinstall anyway as when I now enter Vista I get a
>> > Black Screen with My Documents open and I have to start Win Explorer
>> > Manually
>> > in Task Manager.
>> > Is It important to leave the XP installed Drive connected to the
>> > Motherboard
>> > when installing Vista. Is this necessary for the Windows Boot Manager
>> > Option
>> > or will Vista install Drivers etc on the XP drive causing both Drives to
>> > run
>> > on Boot up.
>> > Is there another way I can find the Windows Boot Manager.
>> > Thanx for any Help

>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
The drive labeled 'system' is the first hard drive in boot priority in your
bios and the active primary partition on that drive. (If you change the boot
priority at post time, it can change which is the system drive, but ONLY for
that boot, not for an install) All system files will be installed there.
The system you are running will always be labeled 'boot', since you are
booted into it. If you want Vista to set up the dual boot, you have to have
the XP system visible at install time, otherwise, you can add the legacy
system to your boot using EasyBCD or VistaBootPro, at a later time.

"Gerb68" <Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8AE31281-3C3F-4089-9969-22F16501AD8B@microsoft.com...
>I had Vista installed first. Then to obtain a Dual Boot I did a complete
> reinstall by first installing XP on a drive that already had two
> Partitions.
> In Disk Management in XP, XP is installed on one partition labelled
> Healthy
> (Boot) and the other Partition on that Drive is labelled Healthy (System)
> In Vista, The Drive Vista is on is Labelled Healthy (System Boot)
>
> "peter" wrote:
>
>> If you disconnect the XP drive Vista cannot overwrite the XP bootmanager
>> with its own....maybe thats how you got here in the 1st place.
>> A disconnected drive cannot be seen.Vista will install its boot manager
>> on
>> the drive labeled System Boot under Comp Management/disk management.
>> Which of the partitions on that 1 HDD is labeled as such???
>> peter
>> "Ger68" <Ger68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2F7D285F-F254-4201-97BB-A91A181DF710@microsoft.com...
>> >I have XP installed on a partition on 1 HDD and Vista Ultimate installed
>> >on
>> >a
>> > separate Drive. The thing is I do not have the Windows Boot Manager
>> > when I
>> > boot up with the OS options. I can only achieve this by changiing the
>> > Boot
>> > Device in Bios, so I don't think any boot files are damaged. In Startup
>> > and
>> > Recovery on both systems only one OS is recognised and when I tried
>> > Third
>> > Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS
>> > also.
>> > I will probably have to reinstall anyway as when I now enter Vista I
>> > get a
>> > Black Screen with My Documents open and I have to start Win Explorer
>> > Manually
>> > in Task Manager.
>> > Is It important to leave the XP installed Drive connected to the
>> > Motherboard
>> > when installing Vista. Is this necessary for the Windows Boot Manager
>> > Option
>> > or will Vista install Drivers etc on the XP drive causing both Drives
>> > to
>> > run
>> > on Boot up.
>> > Is there another way I can find the Windows Boot Manager.
>> > Thanx for any Help

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
Gerb68
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
Thanks for the replies . As I satated "when I tried Third
Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS". I cant
find or add a Legacy or an Earlier Version of Windows. I have had The Drive
with XP installed on connected when I installed Vista. I can Dual Boot(via
Bios) but I was looking for the Choice of OS when I boot up(i.e. Windows Boot
Manager welcome Screen).
I think the problem maybe, although XP Drive is connected It has two
Partitions with XP on the second partition (D) and the First Partion(C) is
labelled (System) in Disk Management. Is this the problem. I was really
hoping not to have to reinstall XP but if this is the issue I will.
Thanx again for the help.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
You have to ADD the legacy drive.

"Gerb68" <Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1EBE4F59-BAFB-43F0-9B8E-AE4E052336D8@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the replies . As I satated "when I tried Third
> Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS". I
> cant
> find or add a Legacy or an Earlier Version of Windows. I have had The
> Drive
> with XP installed on connected when I installed Vista. I can Dual Boot(via
> Bios) but I was looking for the Choice of OS when I boot up(i.e. Windows
> Boot
> Manager welcome Screen).
> I think the problem maybe, although XP Drive is connected It has two
> Partitions with XP on the second partition (D) and the First Partion(C) is
> labelled (System) in Disk Management. Is this the problem. I was really
> hoping not to have to reinstall XP but if this is the issue I will.
> Thanx again for the help.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
What do you mean by you can't add it. You can't find the place to add, you
can't figure out how to use it, you get an error message when you boot after
adding (which I assume isn't the problem).
"Gerb68" <Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1EBE4F59-BAFB-43F0-9B8E-AE4E052336D8@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the replies . As I satated "when I tried Third
> Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS". I
> cant
> find or add a Legacy or an Earlier Version of Windows. I have had The
> Drive
> with XP installed on connected when I installed Vista. I can Dual Boot(via
> Bios) but I was looking for the Choice of OS when I boot up(i.e. Windows
> Boot
> Manager welcome Screen).
> I think the problem maybe, although XP Drive is connected It has two
> Partitions with XP on the second partition (D) and the First Partion(C) is
> labelled (System) in Disk Management. Is this the problem. I was really
> hoping not to have to reinstall XP but if this is the issue I will.
> Thanx again for the help.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
Gerb68
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
When I add Windows Legacy and I locate the Drive with XP Boot files and then
I reboot I get the choice of OS but when I choose XP I always get
File: \ntldr
Status 0xc000000f
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing
or corrupt.
This is when I add in VistaBootPro or EasyBCD

"John Barnes" wrote:

> What do you mean by you can't add it. You can't find the place to add, you
> can't figure out how to use it, you get an error message when you boot after
> adding (which I assume isn't the problem).
> "Gerb68" <Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1EBE4F59-BAFB-43F0-9B8E-AE4E052336D8@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the replies . As I satated "when I tried Third
> > Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS". I
> > cant
> > find or add a Legacy or an Earlier Version of Windows. I have had The
> > Drive
> > with XP installed on connected when I installed Vista. I can Dual Boot(via
> > Bios) but I was looking for the Choice of OS when I boot up(i.e. Windows
> > Boot
> > Manager welcome Screen).
> > I think the problem maybe, although XP Drive is connected It has two
> > Partitions with XP on the second partition (D) and the First Partion(C) is
> > labelled (System) in Disk Management. Is this the problem. I was really
> > hoping not to have to reinstall XP but if this is the issue I will.
> > Thanx again for the help.
> >
> >

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2007
John Barnes
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Advice on Windows Boot Manager
Copy the ntldr ntdetect.com and boot.ini files from your XP drive to the
vista boot manager drive (system) change the boot.ini file to point to the
proper rdisk (if you have only 2 drives, change to the other (0 or 1)

"Gerb68" <Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7F9E588E-EB4A-461E-8A6D-995028673AB9@microsoft.com...
> When I add Windows Legacy and I locate the Drive with XP Boot files and
> then
> I reboot I get the choice of OS but when I choose XP I always get
> File: \ntldr
> Status 0xc000000f
> The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing
> or corrupt.
> This is when I add in VistaBootPro or EasyBCD
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> What do you mean by you can't add it. You can't find the place to add,
>> you
>> can't figure out how to use it, you get an error message when you boot
>> after
>> adding (which I assume isn't the problem).
>> "Gerb68" <Gerb68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1EBE4F59-BAFB-43F0-9B8E-AE4E052336D8@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks for the replies . As I satated "when I tried Third
>> > Party software like VistaBootPro or Easy BCD I can only find one OS". I
>> > cant
>> > find or add a Legacy or an Earlier Version of Windows. I have had The
>> > Drive
>> > with XP installed on connected when I installed Vista. I can Dual
>> > Boot(via
>> > Bios) but I was looking for the Choice of OS when I boot up(i.e.
>> > Windows
>> > Boot
>> > Manager welcome Screen).
>> > I think the problem maybe, although XP Drive is connected It has two
>> > Partitions with XP on the second partition (D) and the First Partion(C)
>> > is
>> > labelled (System) in Disk Management. Is this the problem. I was really
>> > hoping not to have to reinstall XP but if this is the issue I will.
>> > Thanx again for the help.
>> >
>> >

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Boot Manager Shows on Every Boot ! Chuck microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 09-23-2007 14:41
Is the Windows Boot Manager Really Necessary? Frank Bright microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 05-06-2007 15:45
Windows boot manager? =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZXNlIQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 04-21-2007 13:58
Windows Boot Manager =?Utf-8?B?ZHVkZWRsbHM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 03-07-2007 19:39
Hang in Windows Boot Manager =?Utf-8?B?R2VuZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 1 02-07-2007 15:46




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:50.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120