Anytime Upgrade Fails

Jan Gruyaert

Anytime Upgrade Fails
Hi,

I've been running Windows Vista prof x64 for several months now without any
issues and decided to upgrade it to premium.
So far this procedure has failed near the end. It reboots multiple times,
says 'booting windows for the first time', works some time on 'completing
upgrade' without hanging. There's always disk activity. I think it's
detecting hardware (usb-devices cycle power, screen blanks)
Then I just get the message 'Windows installer encountered an unexpected
error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the
installation. Error Code 0xc0000005'
So for I tried copying the contents of my DVD to HD, removed some
incompatinle hardware, removed RAM above 2 GB, but no luck.
Trial and error is very tedious as it takes several hours to get to the
point where it goes wrong.

Any suggestions?

Mick Murphy

RE: Anytime Upgrade Fails
What is "Vista prof"?

"Jan Gruyaert" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running Windows Vista prof x64 for several months now without any
> issues and decided to upgrade it to premium.
> So far this procedure has failed near the end. It reboots multiple times,
> says 'booting windows for the first time', works some time on 'completing
> upgrade' without hanging. There's always disk activity. I think it's
> detecting hardware (usb-devices cycle power, screen blanks)
> Then I just get the message 'Windows installer encountered an unexpected
> error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the
> installation. Error Code 0xc0000005'
> So for I tried copying the contents of my DVD to HD, removed some
> incompatinle hardware, removed RAM above 2 GB, but no luck.
> Trial and error is very tedious as it takes several hours to get to the
> point where it goes wrong.
>
> Any suggestions?

Jan Gruyaert

Re: Anytime Upgrade Fails
Vista professional / Vista Business

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> What is "Vista prof"?
>
> "Jan Gruyaert" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been running Windows Vista prof x64 for several months now without

any
> > issues and decided to upgrade it to premium.
> > So far this procedure has failed near the end. It reboots multiple

times,
> > says 'booting windows for the first time', works some time on

'completing
> > upgrade' without hanging. There's always disk activity. I think it's
> > detecting hardware (usb-devices cycle power, screen blanks)
> > Then I just get the message 'Windows installer encountered an unexpected
> > error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart

the
> > installation. Error Code 0xc0000005'
> > So for I tried copying the contents of my DVD to HD, removed some
> > incompatinle hardware, removed RAM above 2 GB, but no luck.
> > Trial and error is very tedious as it takes several hours to get to the
> > point where it goes wrong.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Anytime Upgrade Fails
Presumably, you are booting from CD and deleting/recreating the old x64
partition.

The error code suggests bad RAM, or maybe incompatible in this case. Run a
test on it..

"Jan Gruyaert" <no-jan.gruyaert@belgacom.netspam> wrote in message
newsED58925-EED0-4111-A3B8-E3A2AC29C536@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've been running Windows Vista prof x64 for several months now without
> any issues and decided to upgrade it to premium.
> So far this procedure has failed near the end. It reboots multiple times,
> says 'booting windows for the first time', works some time on 'completing
> upgrade' without hanging. There's always disk activity. I think it's
> detecting hardware (usb-devices cycle power, screen blanks)
> Then I just get the message 'Windows installer encountered an unexpected
> error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the
> installation. Error Code 0xc0000005'
> So for I tried copying the contents of my DVD to HD, removed some
> incompatinle hardware, removed RAM above 2 GB, but no luck.
> Trial and error is very tedious as it takes several hours to get to the
> point where it goes wrong.
>
> Any suggestions?

Mick Murphy

Re: Anytime Upgrade Fails
Jan, Business to Premium is not an upgrade.

They are in 2 different bundles of Vista versions. {Home Basic, Home
Premium}; {Business, Ultimate, Enterprise}.

Therefore, clean install, not upgrade.