Vista Install Question

Knobert

Vista Install Question
I am looking into buying a new laptop without an O/S pre-installed. I already
have a desktop computer with XP installed, but I'd like to upgrade that to
Vista. Can I then use my old copy of XP on my laptop once I have installed
Vista.

Note that when I say I want to upgrade to Vista above, I would not be buying
the upgrade edition, but the full retail version! So in essence I would be
switching my full XP Home edition on my desktop over to my new laptop, and
having a full Vista on my desktop computer. So basically, is this possible?

Thanks in advance
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Install Question
Hi,

If it's a retail version of XP, then sure, that's fine. If it (the desktop)
was originally preinstalled with XP (an OEM version), then you cannot move
it to other hardware.

Incidentally, laptops often use proprietary hardware. You want to be sure
drivers are available to support whatever OS you choose to install on it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking into buying a new laptop without an O/S pre-installed. I
>already
> have a desktop computer with XP installed, but I'd like to upgrade that to
> Vista. Can I then use my old copy of XP on my laptop once I have installed
> Vista.
>
> Note that when I say I want to upgrade to Vista above, I would not be
> buying
> the upgrade edition, but the full retail version! So in essence I would be
> switching my full XP Home edition on my desktop over to my new laptop, and
> having a full Vista on my desktop computer. So basically, is this
> possible?
>
> Thanks in advance

wheelman

Re: Vista Install Question
i made the mistake of buying vista,dont do it..unless you like pain and
suffering..i wish i had of tried to find a full version of win xp pro,,thats
what i should of bought instead of this full version of vista..if vista comes
on the computer or laptop fine,,dont buy..it and try and put it on one that
didnt come with it installed

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If it's a retail version of XP, then sure, that's fine. If it (the desktop)
> was originally preinstalled with XP (an OEM version), then you cannot move
> it to other hardware.
>
> Incidentally, laptops often use proprietary hardware. You want to be sure
> drivers are available to support whatever OS you choose to install on it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am looking into buying a new laptop without an O/S pre-installed. I
> >already
> > have a desktop computer with XP installed, but I'd like to upgrade that to
> > Vista. Can I then use my old copy of XP on my laptop once I have installed
> > Vista.
> >
> > Note that when I say I want to upgrade to Vista above, I would not be
> > buying
> > the upgrade edition, but the full retail version! So in essence I would be
> > switching my full XP Home edition on my desktop over to my new laptop, and
> > having a full Vista on my desktop computer. So basically, is this
> > possible?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Install Question
Hey wheelman, become a real man.
You are just another whinging blow-in!
You'll be gone shortly.

"wheelman" wrote:

> i made the mistake of buying vista,dont do it..unless you like pain and
> suffering..i wish i had of tried to find a full version of win xp pro,,thats
> what i should of bought instead of this full version of vista..if vista comes
> on the computer or laptop fine,,dont buy..it and try and put it on one that
> didnt come with it installed
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If it's a retail version of XP, then sure, that's fine. If it (the desktop)
> > was originally preinstalled with XP (an OEM version), then you cannot move
> > it to other hardware.
> >
> > Incidentally, laptops often use proprietary hardware. You want to be sure
> > drivers are available to support whatever OS you choose to install on it.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am looking into buying a new laptop without an O/S pre-installed. I
> > >already
> > > have a desktop computer with XP installed, but I'd like to upgrade that to
> > > Vista. Can I then use my old copy of XP on my laptop once I have installed
> > > Vista.
> > >
> > > Note that when I say I want to upgrade to Vista above, I would not be
> > > buying
> > > the upgrade edition, but the full retail version! So in essence I would be
> > > switching my full XP Home edition on my desktop over to my new laptop, and
> > > having a full Vista on my desktop computer. So basically, is this
> > > possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

wheelman

Re: Vista Install Question
some one tell me why this --- mike murpurphy why is he allowed to attack
every one on this site,,i thought there was rules against that..are we
suposed to contact some one to turn him in..this guy just attacks,every one
and every post..any one know what we do on here about,,him..

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Hey wheelman, become a real man.
> You are just another whinging blow-in!
> You'll be gone shortly.
>
> "wheelman" wrote:
>
> > i made the mistake of buying vista,dont do it..unless you like pain and
> > suffering..i wish i had of tried to find a full version of win xp pro,,thats
> > what i should of bought instead of this full version of vista..if vista comes
> > on the computer or laptop fine,,dont buy..it and try and put it on one that
> > didnt come with it installed
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > If it's a retail version of XP, then sure, that's fine. If it (the desktop)
> > > was originally preinstalled with XP (an OEM version), then you cannot move
> > > it to other hardware.
> > >
> > > Incidentally, laptops often use proprietary hardware. You want to be sure
> > > drivers are available to support whatever OS you choose to install on it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best of Luck,
> > >
> > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Mick Murphy

Re: Vista Install Question
Go and get your boyfriend to kiss you and make you feel all better, lol.

"wheelman" wrote:

> some one tell me why this --- mike murpurphy why is he allowed to attack
> every one on this site,,i thought there was rules against that..are we
> suposed to contact some one to turn him in..this guy just attacks,every one
> and every post..any one know what we do on here about,,him..
>
> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > Hey wheelman, become a real man.
> > You are just another whinging blow-in!
> > You'll be gone shortly.
> >
> > "wheelman" wrote:
> >
> > > i made the mistake of buying vista,dont do it..unless you like pain and
> > > suffering..i wish i had of tried to find a full version of win xp pro,,thats
> > > what i should of bought instead of this full version of vista..if vista comes
> > > on the computer or laptop fine,,dont buy..it and try and put it on one that
> > > didnt come with it installed

Knobert

Re: Vista Install Question
Thanks for the advice, and the answer to my question! You've both contributed
to giving me a good answer... didn't mean to flame a Vista vs. XP war though!

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Go and get your boyfriend to kiss you and make you feel all better, lol.
>
> "wheelman" wrote:
>
> > some one tell me why this --- mike murpurphy why is he allowed to attack
> > every one on this site,,i thought there was rules against that..are we
> > suposed to contact some one to turn him in..this guy just attacks,every one
> > and every post..any one know what we do on here about,,him..
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > Hey wheelman, become a real man.
> > > You are just another whinging blow-in!
> > > You'll be gone shortly.

peter

Re: Vista Install Question
Seeing as most Laptops today are sold with an OS already installed you might
not need to do any of that.
The cost difference between buying one without an OS and one with an OS is
less than buying an Upgrade Version of Vista vs a Full edition
a quick price check on Home Premium brought up the following..upgrade
$144...Full $219
Look for a laptop with XP already installed if thats what you wish to
use......then safe yourself some money and buy an upgrade edition of Vista
for your desktop.
peter