Want to Go Back to Windows XP

Bubey

Want to Go Back to Windows XP
Is it easy to go back to Windows XP? If so, how ?
I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
with Vista installed.
Too much for him to handle as he is coming off Win
98. I would
like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
other PC's in
the family. The only thing I have for Win XP are
the recovery
discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one for
the other older
Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are they
model specific?

Thank in advance as usual...........Bubey

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
No, you cannot use Windows XP recovery discs on any
computer other than the one it was meant for.

In order to install Windows XP, you would have
to purchase a conventional "full version" of Windows XP
and perform a "clean install".

You must delete all partitions, create a new partition,
then format the new partition. Here are the instructions:

Clean Install Windows XP

Bear in mind that removing the preinstalled version
of Windows Vista from the new computer will likely
void any future technical or warranty service offered
by the computer manufacturer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bubey" <catlov@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%23jcsT9pCIHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Is it easy to go back to Windows XP? If so, how ?
I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
with Vista installed.
Too much for him to handle as he is coming off Win
98. I would
like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
other PC's in
the family. The only thing I have for Win XP are
the recovery
discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one for
the other older
Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are they
model specific?

Thank in advance as usual...........Bubey

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
If you wish to have a Windows 98 familiar
graphical user interface, right-click on the
Windows Vista desktop, click on Personalize,
then Theme, choose Windows Classic from
the drop-down menu and click Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bubey" wrote:

Is it easy to go back to Windows XP? If so, how ?
I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
with Vista installed.
Too much for him to handle as he is coming off Win
98. I would
like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
other PC's in
the family. The only thing I have for Win XP are
the recovery
discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one for
the other older
Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are they
model specific?

Thank in advance as usual...........Bubey

Mick Murphy

RE: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
Contact Toshiba and ask them if they do a "swap for XP" operating System for
customers.
Some manufacturers do, if the buyer does not like, or understand Vista,
within a certain time limit.

Also, before you go and buy XP, check with Toshiba to see if your particular
model laptop has XP Drivers written for it.
If there are no XP drivers written for it, XP won't run on it.

"Bubey" wrote:

> Is it easy to go back to Windows XP? If so, how ?
> I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
> with Vista installed.
> Too much for him to handle as he is coming off Win
> 98. I would
> like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
> other PC's in
> the family. The only thing I have for Win XP are
> the recovery
> discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one for
> the other older
> Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are they
> model specific?
>
> Thank in advance as usual...........Bubey

Bubey

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
Mick, someone else told me about this possibility.
Can I get the XP drivers
somewhere and install them on the laptop?
Why would Toshiba sell a PC that one cannot use
the OS of their choice?
Seems like it would be against some consumer
protection law or ?
Didn't MS get in trouble way back for "requiring"
their operating system
on PC's? Seems like it's kind of the same when
Toshiba sells a PC
that will "only run" Vista ???

"Mick Murphy"
<MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

"Bubey" wrote:

> Is it easy to go back to Windows XP? If so, how
> ?
> I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
> with Vista installed.
> Too much for him to handle as he is coming off
> Win
> 98. I would
> like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
> other PC's in
> the family. The only thing I have for Win XP
> are
> the recovery
> discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one
> for
> the other older
> Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are
> they
> model specific?
>
> Thank in advance as usual...........Bubey

Mick Murphy

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
Hi Bubey!
If you can't get them from the manufacturer, you can't get them anywhere.

In a way, you can understand their reasoning. If they make a new motherboard
today, why would they write drivers for XP, or Windows 2k, ME, '98, '95.
Where do you stop?
It is new hardware, with Drivers for the present Operating System, which is
totally within the law.

"Bubey" wrote:

> Mick, someone else told me about this possibility.
> Can I get the XP drivers
> somewhere and install them on the laptop?
> Why would Toshiba sell a PC that one cannot use
> the OS of their choice?
> Seems like it would be against some consumer
> protection law or ?
> Didn't MS get in trouble way back for "requiring"
> their operating system
> on PC's? Seems like it's kind of the same when
> Toshiba sells a PC
> that will "only run" Vista ???
>

> "Mick Murphy"
> <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> Contact Toshiba and ask them if they do a "swap
> for XP" operating System for
> customers.
> Some manufacturers do, if the buyer does not like,
> or understand Vista,
> within a certain time limit.
>
> Also, before you go and buy XP, check with Toshiba
> to see if your particular
> model laptop has XP Drivers written for it.
> If there are no XP drivers written for it, XP
> won't run on it.
>
> "Bubey" wrote:
>
> > Is it easy to go back to Windows XP? If so, how
> > ?
> > I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
> > with Vista installed.
> > Too much for him to handle as he is coming off
> > Win
> > 98. I would
> > like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
> > other PC's in
> > the family. The only thing I have for Win XP
> > are
> > the recovery
> > discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one
> > for
> > the other older
> > Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are
> > they
> > model specific?
> >
> > Thank in advance as usual...........Bubey

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
If Toshiba does not have Windows XP drivers, it is unlikely anyone
does.

"Why would Toshiba sell a PC that one cannot use the OS of their
choice?"
That depends on what you mean.
In the advertising, normally the operating system is mentioned.
So the operating system the customer chooses is the one advertised and
installed.
It is not reasonable for a manufacturer to be forced to make newer
models compatible with older operating systems although some do with
some models.
Some manufacturers sell computers with Windows XP and other operating
systems and that is another option buyers have.

Toshiba still sells laptops with Windows XP.
Contact Toshiba and see if they can provide Windows XP media and
support for your model.
Otherwise consider returning the laptop and purchasing another.
Dell and others including local shops also sell computers with Windows
XP.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> Mick, someone else told me about this possibility.
> Can I get the XP drivers
> somewhere and install them on the laptop?
> Why would Toshiba sell a PC that one cannot use
> the OS of their choice?
> Seems like it would be against some consumer
> protection law or ?
> Didn't MS get in trouble way back for "requiring"
> their operating system
> on PC's? Seems like it's kind of the same when
> Toshiba sells a PC
> that will "only run" Vista ???

Bubey

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
Thanks for the info. What I'm still confused
about re "drivers" is why can
Dell offer a laptop that will run either XP or
Vista, customers choice?
Guess I thought the hardware would run anything.
I always taught you
can go back but never forward unless your hardware
would handle the
"new" program.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
If Toshiba does not have Windows XP drivers, it is
unlikely anyone
does.

"Why would Toshiba sell a PC that one cannot use
the OS of their
choice?"
That depends on what you mean.
In the advertising, normally the operating system
is mentioned.
So the operating system the customer chooses is
the one advertised and
installed.
It is not reasonable for a manufacturer to be
forced to make newer
models compatible with older operating systems
although some do with
some models.
Some manufacturers sell computers with Windows XP
and other operating
systems and that is another option buyers have.

Toshiba still sells laptops with Windows XP.
Contact Toshiba and see if they can provide
Windows XP media and
support for your model.
Otherwise consider returning the laptop and
purchasing another.
Dell and others including local shops also sell
computers with Windows
XP.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Bubey" <catlov@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Mick, someone else told me about this
> possibility.
> Can I get the XP drivers
> somewhere and install them on the laptop?
> Why would Toshiba sell a PC that one cannot use
> the OS of their choice?
> Seems like it would be against some consumer
> protection law or ?
> Didn't MS get in trouble way back for
> "requiring"
> their operating system
> on PC's? Seems like it's kind of the same when
> Toshiba sells a PC
> that will "only run" Vista ???

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Want to Go Back to Windows XP
"why can Dell offer"
Every manufacturer determines for themselves what they will support.
Toshiba may as well.
I know they have some with Windows XP and some with Windows Vista.
I did not look close enough to see if any models supported both.

"I always taught you can go back but never forward"
You can sometimes go forward or back, but not always.
That is up to the manufacturer to determine.

--

> Thanks for the info. What I'm still confused
> about re "drivers" is why can
> Dell offer a laptop that will run either XP or
> Vista, customers choice?
> Guess I thought the hardware would run anything.
> I always taught you
> can go back but never forward unless your hardware
> would handle the
> "new" program.

Bruce Chambers

Bubey wrote:
> Is it easy to go back to Windows XP?

The answer to that question depends entirely upon the availability of
WinXP-specific device drivers for your specific model computer. Ask the
computer's manufacturer.

> If so, how ?

The only way to transition from Vista to any older OS would be to
format the hard drive and install WinXP onto a clean drive. Before
starting, make sure that the laptop's manufacturer has made available
WinXP-specific device drivers for all of the laptop's hardware
components. If this new laptop was explicitly designed for Vista, there
may well be no WinXP drivers to be had. You should also ask the
manufacturer (and get it in writing if possible) precise how removing
the designed OS will affect warranty and service agreements. Do so
often voids all service agreements, and the laptop would have to be
reinstalled with Vista to get any other support.

> I purchased a laptop for my husband (Birthday)
> with Vista installed.
> Too much for him to handle as he is coming off Win
> 98. I would
> like to go back to Windows XP, which we have on
> other PC's in
> the family. The only thing I have for Win XP are
> the recovery
> discs for a Dell and a Toshiba. Would the one for
> the other older
> Toshiba work for this Toshiba w/Vista or are they
> model specific?

Neither would work, nor would it be legal for you to do so.

There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions, however.
First and foremost, if the specific computer model in question was
designed specifically for Vista, there may well be no WinXP-specific
device drivers available to make the computer's diverse components work
properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer about the availability of
device drivers. Secondly, removing an OEM-installed operating system
and replacing with another will almost invariably void any and all
support agreements and, sometimes, even the warranty. You would, at the
very least, have to re-install Vista before getting any support from the
manufacturer. Again, consult the computer's manufacturer for specifics.
Thirdly, there will be the additional cost involved in purchasing a
WinXP license for this new computer.

You should return the computer to the seller and exchange it for
one with WinXP, if possible.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: