XP SP2 (32Bit)o Visa Ultimate 64bit.

Nick Partridge

XP SP2 (32Bit)o Visa Ultimate 64bit.
Someone is probably about to make me feel really stupid but here goes.

I recently changed my PC at last to a 64bit compatable machine.
I completed the upgrade from XP 32 bit to Ultimate 64 bit, via the reboot
full install method.

The install completes perfectly fine. However when booting for the first
time, it takes forever to load, and in most cases just hangs. It almost
appears the CPU is stalling or going unstable.

It will just sit there doing nothing for 10 minutes then all of a sudden a
burst of energy. Then stalls again.

Processor is a Athlon 64 x2, 6000+
2 GB Ram
256 PCIe Graph
Asus MB

Any thoughts would be appreciated, currently had to go back tyo a completely
stable XP.

Mick Murphy

RE: XP SP2 (32Bit)o Visa Ultimate 64bit.
Did you delete the XP partition before you installed Vista?

Why I ask, in your post, you seem to have access to 2 operating systems!

"Nick Partridge" wrote:

> Someone is probably about to make me feel really stupid but here goes.
>
> I recently changed my PC at last to a 64bit compatable machine.
> I completed the upgrade from XP 32 bit to Ultimate 64 bit, via the reboot
> full install method.
>
> The install completes perfectly fine. However when booting for the first
> time, it takes forever to load, and in most cases just hangs. It almost
> appears the CPU is stalling or going unstable.
>
> It will just sit there doing nothing for 10 minutes then all of a sudden a
> burst of energy. Then stalls again.
>
> Processor is a Athlon 64 x2, 6000+
> 2 GB Ram
> 256 PCIe Graph
> Asus MB
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated, currently had to go back tyo a completely
> stable XP.

Nick Partridge

Re: XP SP2 (32Bit)o Visa Ultimate 64bit.
Yes I tried 3 methods
A ista Ultimate 32 bit upgrade via overwrite.
A Vista Ultimate 32 bit Upgrade via clean install
And the Vista Ultimate 64 bit which is a complete fresh install.

All clean installs I formatted the disk as part of the install.

XP I have just had to reinstall as, no matter which method or type 32bit or
64bit. Vista just appears to hang.
It installs, but does not run.

I have checked all components they are all listed as Vista compatable.
So I am at a loss :-(