Optional Update question

Octavio

Optional Update question
I am getting notification of an optional update that I haven't installed
yet, saying:

"CTX - Modems - PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart PC"

Regarding the above, I have the following questions:

1. When I get such notifications in "Optional UPdates", does Vista already
scanned my computer and determined automatically that my computer might need
and could use this update, pending on my installation approval?

2. Or, do I have to determine manually myself if I have the compatibe
software to install this "Optional Update" and do I have to determine myself
if I need this update? I really don't know how to determine that. If I
have to determine that, how do I do that?

I have been able to determine and also installed the others that I got
after installing Vista Ultimate, but I don't know what this one referenced
above is about.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin Harper

Re: Optional Update question
1. Yes, it scanned your computer and found that piece of hardware has an
updated driver.

2. Nope. Windows already did that. But, if you want to check the
hardware, you can go into the System icon in the control panel, and into
Device Manager. Another way to tell what hardware is installed is to
download Belarc Advisor.

I'd download the update. If you don't use the modem, it doesn't matter,
but if you do, sometimes it helps with speeds and connection reliability.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

Octavio wrote:
> I am getting notification of an optional update that I haven't installed
> yet, saying:
>
> "CTX - Modems - PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart PC"
>
> Regarding the above, I have the following questions:
>
> 1. When I get such notifications in "Optional UPdates", does Vista
> already scanned my computer and determined automatically that my
> computer might need and could use this update, pending on my
> installation approval?
>

> 2. Or, do I have to determine manually myself if I have the compatibe
> software to install this "Optional Update" and do I have to determine
> myself if I need this update? I really don't know how to determine
> that. If I have to determine that, how do I do that?
>

> I have been able to determine and also installed the others that I got
> after installing Vista Ultimate, but I don't know what this one
> referenced above is about.
>

> Thanks in advance.

Octavio

Re: Optional Update question
Thanks for your adviseing, Dustin.
So now I know that anything that is advised as "Optional Update" already has
something to do with "something" that I already have in my computer that can
be upgraded with the update.
Regards.
Octavio